Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
seems like a lot of us would prefer the car without it..and there has been a suggestion that it might be doable in a way that it isn't on the GT3, anyone aware of a definitive answer on this?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Re: is the GT4 rear wing removeable?

Sure is. Since its adjustable you just remove the screws and lift it off the uprights.

But I think the car would look kind of funny with just the uprights in place.

:taunt:

:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts

The wing should be removable, uprights and all. The trunk lid on the GT4 was reinforced to support the wing. I'm assuming the upright bases have screws or bolts under the trunk lid that would need to be removed. Not sure whether or not they will be accessible without removing the liner under the trunk lid. But it should not be difficult to remove the wing and uprights. You'd still need to figure out some way of covering up the the holes that would remain. But that should be easy.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I'd love to see that GT4 spoiler gone, but question is at what point does the car become unstable without some sort of spoiler. The standard Cayman spoiler deploys at 75 mph. Remember the first generation Audi TT that had no rear spoiler and became aerodynamically unstable at speeds above 90 mph or so. There were accidents until Audi stuck on the little duck tail spoiler.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The downforce produced by the wing is balanced by exactly the same downforce from the front aero. In fact if you adjust the wing to 7 degrees, they provide removable panels under the front of the car to balance the aero again.

Removing the wing altogether would mean you are running way more downforce on the front axle than the rear! We can debate at exactly what speed that screws up the handling of the car, but really?

Why not just buy the GTS?? Then you can actually keep the handling balance that you paid Porsche's engineers to create.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts

I'd love to see that GT4 spoiler gone, but question is at what point does the car become unstable without some sort of spoiler. The standard Cayman spoiler deploys at 75 mph. Remember the first generation Audi TT that had no rear spoiler and became aerodynamically unstable at speeds above 90 mph or so. There were accidents until Audi stuck on the little duck tail spoiler.
You forgot that the duck spoiler would this be on the car.

·
Registered
645 Posts

This does seem a little sacrilegious or something... It gives me a sad someone would buy a GT4 (or a GT3 for that matter...) and remove the wing. OK sure, the spoiler and the rest of the aero kit is a bit flashy, but so what? That's what this car was designed for, a track toy with road-going capability. All of the aero is functional and serves a purpose... That would be like removing the wing on a P1 or a Veyron... If you want the more subdued version, get the GTS and always keep the spoiler down.

Unlike those tacky bolt-on wings the kids buy a Pep Boys, this aero kit was designed by Porsche GT division specifically for this car. As others have stated, removal of the rear wing would unbalance the car and probably make the car unstable at high speed.

Reactions: acropora

·
Registered
245 Posts
So I would feel silly if I was driving around with a non- functional wing or, worse, one that was functional but causing me terminal understeer because it wasn't balanced up front.

It's hard to feel silly about functioning, balanced, drag optimized aero unless the car never got out on the track. But if the car was never going to the track, I'd have ordered a base Cayman.

If a car doesn't need well-sorted aero because it's always on low speed roads, then it probably didn't need 300+ hp either.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
seems like a lot of us would prefer the car without it..and there has been a suggestion that it might be doable in a way that it isn't on the GT3, anyone aware of a definitive answer on this?
I removed the brake light handle on my 993, as it was ugly and had no function with respect to the performance of the car. had to repaint the decklid, so you can do anything you want to. Being a German car and using logic, I would wonder why you would want a GT4 without the wing? Seems like that is what the GTS is for.

Watch the Chris Harris video with Andreas Preuninger and they go through the suspension and some of the area on the car. It seems a lot of thought and testing went into developing the GT4. It seems a shame to undo that work for aesthetic reasons.

Here is the link;

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
They're only going to make 2500 GT4's. I suggest leaving them to buyers who plan to track them with the wing and all ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts

This does seem a little sacrilegious or something... It gives me a sad someone would buy a GT4 (or a GT3 for that matter...) and remove the wing. OK sure, the spoiler and the rest of the aero kit is a bit flashy, but so what? That's what this car was designed for, a track toy with road-going capability. All of the aero is functional and serves a purpose... That would be like removing the wing on a P1 or a Veyron... If you want the more subdued version, get the GTS and always keep the spoiler down.
My guess is that it's easier to take the wing off a GT4 than to stuff a 3.8 into a GTS... :taunt:

To the OP - If you haven't already, surf the web a bit to see some of the insanely great things professional car customizers can create. Taking the wing off the trunk is not a big deal. But if it's not aesthetics but aerodynamics you're concerned about, then you should leave the wing on.
:cheers:

Reactions: baege

·
Registered
360 Posts

How long will it be before some one produces taller up rights to raise the height of the wing?

williamr

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just wanna thank you guys because in answering the OPs question, you helped me on the opposite decision.

I had been thinking about adding a GT4 type wing to my Cayman S but the thoughts on stability if the front doesn't have accompanying mods helped me realize it is something more than I want to do.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
For those of you removing the wing, send it over to me...I like them wings :)
I'm with this guy ^. Buffalo, GT4 and angels = me gusta mucho...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm with the OP... If going to daily drive the car I'd take it off and the dealer was happy to assist. Together with a second set of wheels with MPSS. On occasional track days, reinstall the wing, put the MPSC2 back on perhaps with some track pads and all set to go. When daily driving I don't expect to be anywhere near speeds where the wing would matter and I value the lack of attention besides the aesthetic sans big wing.

Flame suit on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
agree it would be nice, but looking at the tech manual (page 83), its easy enough to remove but there it a cutout the shape of the wing support, and the seal is bonded ta boot...i can see now why someone saw a car with wing off and duck tape. no way to cover the cutouts clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The downforce produced by the wing is balanced by exactly the same downforce from the front aero. In fact if you adjust the wing to 7 degrees, they provide removable panels under the front of the car to balance the aero again.

Removing the wing altogether would mean you are running way more downforce on the front axle than the rear! We can debate at exactly what speed that screws up the handling of the car, but really?

Why not just buy the GTS?? Then you can actually keep the handling balance that you paid Porsche's engineers to create.
This ^^^^^.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts