Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the GTS Interior Package - is the Carbon Fiber trim true / real Carbon Fiber or is it some knockoff laminated material?
Any longevity issues (peeling, etc)?

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
On the GTS Interior Package - is the Carbon Fiber trim true / real Carbon Fiber or is it some knockoff laminated material?
Any longevity issues (peeling, etc)?
In answer your Q as regards Porsche's OEM CF items, I do not know.

But in case you are unaware of the another after-market source of such items, see this thread (and others here by BJR) as regards the DB Carbon products. These are the real deal.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...981-boxster-s-db-carbon-install-pictures.html

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm about 99% sure that the outer layer of the OEM parts is genuine CF. As for what's underneath that... who knows. But the same is true for some of that DB Carbon stuff as well. If I'm not mistaken, they take parts and then add a carbon fibre layer to them.

All this stuff is just cosmetic, so this is really the best way to do it. If you're making stuff for a race car to have all the strength and weight benefits of CF, then you'll approach things differently but when all you want is the aesthetics, it doesn't make sense to re-engineer a part entirely in CF.

Reactions: Mike R. and K-Man S

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It's real. I love it. With the GTS interior, they struck the perfect balance between CF, leather, alcantara, and red stitching / accents. I just wish the remaining silver plastic pieces came in brushed aluminum. I may add it over time.

p.s., if you add any later on, make sure the CF weaves match.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It is real carbon fiber weave over OEM plastic.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Porsche using fake Carbon Fiber and Charing for an upgrade would be a hard pill to swallow. Mine sure looks real, the only down fall is the
beautiful Carbon Fiber trim is absolutey ruined by a stupid cup with a straw. Fear not as I have a good solution to fix this delma.
Order the Porsche Crest from a 981 key and glue or tape it over the cup! wallahhh

Emblem Grille Automotive exterior Logo Font

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
There's no doubt Porsche carbon fibre is real, but as some have said, the woven part you see is nearly always for appearance. Almost every structural carbon fiber part has a weave, or is unidirectional, chosen for its physical properties, which may be covered with a decorative weave layer and then clear gelcoat. Most cosmetic carbon fiber parts, like those found inside a Porsche (door trim, dash trim, console trim) are plastic with a veneer of woven carbon fiber fabric. Some CF veneers go over the existing part, while others replace the existing part--I think DB Carbon does a combination of these things with the variety of parts they offer.
In the end, unless the monocoque is made of carbon fiber, or the control arms of your suspension are carbon fiber, it's likely not to matter if the part is veneered, or fully carbon fiber. A carbon fiber hood is not a structural component, and most are plastic or fiberglass with a decorative veneer of woven carbon fiber and gelcoat for appearances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts