Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
My rep foundout that the Luggage Partition option is a privacy cover, but is not yet available to order for your build. I will be ordering it as soon as it is available. I currently have an Audi TT Coupe with this as a standard feature, and for this style of hatchback, I think its essential. In the TT, it looks like a rear deck.

FYI, this is not to be mistaken with the sound partition between the cockpit and the luggage compartment. This is a standard feature. Its described in Ampersand magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My rep foundout that the Luggage Partition option is a privacy cover, but is not yet available to order for your build. I will be ordering it as soon as it is available. I currently have an Audi TT Coupe with this as a standard feature, and for this style of hatchback, I think its essential. In the TT, it looks like a rear deck.

FYI, this is not to be mistaken with the sound partition between the cockpit and the luggage compartment. This is a standard feature. Its described in Ampersand magazine.

I wish we could get it straight whether the so called 'sound partition' (or whatever) is amyth or not.

So far I haven't seen one picture of it.......strange it would be a'standard' item but no one has every seen it......or am I wrong??

If anyone has an article that shows it or provides great detail about it please post!

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can see a black thing hanging off of the trunk lid in any of the pictures with the trunk open. Is that the sound partition?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recall seeing a picture of the trunk in the open position and it had a ledge attached to the tail gate just below the rear window. I presume that when the tailgate is closed the ledge then covers the open trunk area. If I can find the picture I will post it.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I think thats just a luggage cover........don't know if its a standard one or the 'Luggage Partition'.

Maybe a fabric one is standard......per all of Porsche's last hatchbacks, and the 'Luggage Partition' is a hard one......similar to the Audi TT (had one to.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I want a clear motor cover :)

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Road and Track in the 9/05 issue mentions a 'glass' partition to decrease 'noise'. I assumed that was the option in question. Something akin to the Boxster windstop but perhaps bigger. The question I had was whether it was removable or permanent. I can't imagine Porsche giving you a lot for $270. Of course since it's not available it's a moot point.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I want a clear motor cover :)

Chad, I have someone working on this right now, but until I can get an actual lid for the Cayman (Boxster is different) I won't know how it will come out. I'm going to see if we can get an estimate in terms of cost based on the Boxster engine lid though and add a little size to it for a buffer. I assume scratch resistant plexiglass is ok?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Plexiglass can crack. However it depends on the thickness. Lexan might be ideal like our racing windshields (1/4 inch think)

I wonder how much heat it may add to the cockpit though. There is no heat shield with Plexi/Lexan

Edited by - C.Plavan on 09/02/2005 6:14:00 PM

·
Registered
259 Posts
also do not forget you have a big front trunk too :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Correction to my previous post!

You can see the luggage partition in the Cayman Techquipment catalog recently posted at this site. IMHO, it's butt-ugly and its readily visible right behind the headrests... looks like the partitions used in SUV's when hauling dogs around. Is NOT consistent with the fine design of the rest of the vehicle.

I've ordered it, but most likely will not take it home. If I do, I'll not use it unless I absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Here's a pic of the luggage partition/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbs_down.gif

/UserFiles/luggage_partition.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts