Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Is the Panamera ugly?

6K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  DaveN007 
#1 ·
#4 ·
My grandmother used to say, for every little he there is a little she. The car will sell, if for no other reason than it's brand.

The real question in my mind is whether the Panamera will sell in sufficient numbers to make it profitable. Unfortunately, it is being introduced into a very difficult market.

#5 ·
Far too early to make judgements, as not one of us has seen it yet.

From the pics thus far though, I quite like it. It is bold and a bit different, so already there is a huge leap on from Mercedes (who make everything look the same) and Lexus (who make everything look like a Mercedes)

Look at BMW. When they brought in their new range of Bangle drawn cars, everyone guffawed loudly, yet not only are they a sales success, when you you see a pre-Bangle BMW these days, they look like antiques. Personally I hated the Bangle 5 series when it came out, but I have grown to think it is one of the most striking cars on the road. BMW and Bangle were right all along, it just took the rest of us awhile to catch up. I'm prepared to bet the same will happen with the Panamera.

As to whether this is the right product for these times, well that's a whole different ball game.

#7 ·
Thr pics are definitely fugly. However the actual in the metal view may be different. I will reserve judgement. I am a serious buyer if the thing does not look like @ss.

Having gone from a E-39 540I( best sports sedan ever made) to a Cayman S - I never grew to like the bangalized 5 series. My dad has one and I hate to look at every time that I detail it for him. I hate the goofy lights in the front- I hate the random lines that go nowhere- and I truly despise the I drive. BMW sold out out to the business lease- soccer mom crowd and told the real car guys to take a hike-pretty much in those exact words. Not saying that I will never own another BMW but not high on my list at present.

Let's see the Panamera in the metal before we bash it.

#11 · (Edited)
Re: The Humpback from Leipzig

The front is not bad but the upsweep 3/4 window makes the car look large and the rear look weird (love it on the Cayman). The air scoop in the side needs to be integrated into the design.

It should have presence due to its size. Would love a smaller 2+2 coupe with the flat six in the front with 911 DNA (as opposed to Cayenne DNA)

#13 ·

At first I thought it was FUgly! But now that I think of it, its not that bad, perhaps it needs a little getting used to!

"Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

A good car will get you from point A to point B. A great car... will just get you into trouble!

#14 ·

Its a 4-door 911 in its styling. How bad can that be?
It is beautiful, sound, enduring design even if not to everyone's initial liking. And "enduring" is what Porsche does and needs to keep doing and, with this car, has done again.
I'm reminded how popular it has been to call "ugly" one of the best automotive designs ever: the old beetle.

#23 ·

Its a 4-door 911 in its styling. How bad can that be?
It is beautiful, sound, enduring design even if not to everyone's initial liking. And "enduring" is what Porsche does and needs to keep doing and, with this car, has done again.
I'm reminded how popular it has been to call "ugly" one of the best automotive designs ever: the old beetle.
+1

I am very pleased that Porsche did not just try to do another copy-cat big luxury car. Bimmer, Merc, Infinit, Lexus, Cadillac etc. all look pretty much cut from the same cookie cutter mold. THIS car, especially at the back end, look different from anything else on the road. And having a workable hatch back, rather than a plain old run-of-the-mill trunk, adds to the uniqueness.

As for VW, compare the classic Beetle shape, almost unchanged since the early 1940's, to the 411 model. What, can't remember the 411 station wagon? Or the Dasher? 'Nuff said...

#15 ·

Personally I love the rear better than the rest of the car. I'm tired of the old school three box design of all the other four doors. Anyone know if the rear seats fold down to make a great dog carrying express?

BMW just nixed their upscale new model so as said above you have to wonder if Porsche can price these to sell in the numbers that achieve profitability.

#29 · (Edited)
Would you buy a ticket to a movie that you have never seen?

Ever take a chance on a book? Actually pay for it, THEN read it?

What if a Panamera represented the same magnitude of purchase for you?

I am certain I can find a few billion people in the world who would blush at the extravagant things you do.

This is a question of relativity.

Or as the "general public" would say, "It's all relevant.";)

This is a great shot:

#20 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But man, it sure is ugly on paper. Let's see what it looks like in real life.

#25 ·
I'd take a Maserati Quattroporte over a Panamera in a heartbeat.

#28 ·
The original concept sketch was quite beautiful- much more of a coupe and less of a humpback
The concept sketch is stunning....the real thing...not.

BTW......anyone know the base cost yet? I went to the website (also got a promo pack in the mail today) and while the site is technologically wonderful.....I felt as though there was not real information easily obtained....just lots of links to links to articles..to history..etc..

I just wanted to get to the meat of it. The meat of it, is offered on all other models on the first page of the Porsche website....so I guess the Porsche marketing wizards want you to wade through 2 hours of stuff only to never reveal anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.