Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the way the DFI engines soot up the tail pipes and make them look dreadful!

I had a Sports Exhaust on my previous Cayman R with the chrome tips and got them replaced with the std. Cayman R (non Sports exhaust tips) as they were black and hide the soot much better!

I've seen the GTS now comes with black tips as standard does anyone know if these tips can be fitted to a std. Cayman S exhaust (non Sports Exhaust)?

If not, could there be another option? Do the 987 tips fit 981?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I hate the way the DFI engines soot up the tail pipes and make them look dreadful!

I had a Sports Exhaust on my previous Cayman R with the chrome tips and got them replaced with the std. Cayman R (non Sports exhaust tips) as they were black and hide the soot much better!

I've seen the GTS now comes with black tips as standard does anyone know if these tips can be fitted to a std. Cayman S exhaust (non Sports Exhaust)?

If not, could there be another option? Do the 987 tips fit 981?
If you hate the look of a sooted up tip, then why buy one with the pre-sooted look? Isn't that like buying a shirt with pre-stained armpits because you hate the look of a shirt with stained armpits?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Black ceramic paint, call it a day.

I brush my tips every couple hundred miles with a Boars hair brush, cleaned right up

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you hate the look of a sooted up tip, then why buy one with the pre-sooted look? Isn't that like buying a shirt with pre-stained armpits because you hate the look of a shirt with stained armpits?
Its more the contrast I don't like. Shiny silver pipe with black soot splattered partially over the end usually at the bottom of the pipe curvatures.

Black pipes I don't mind but as it soots up the contrast is not noticeable so I don't mind that

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black ceramic paint, call it a day.

I brush my tips every couple hundred miles with a Boars hair brush, cleaned right up
Might be an option. Are the pipes easily removable without ramps?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For OEM parts it's tough to beat Suncoast. They are more apt to have items in stock at a lower price and of course they are sponsors here,
I'm in the uk so factoring shipping and additional import taxes will probably be much more expensive

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Might be an option. Are the pipes easily removable without ramps?
I have a 15CS and it looks like the tips are spot welded on the bottom. I'm unable to see the top of the tips. I will have to guess they are spot welded on the top also.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think black tips would work great for my sapphire blue car with Platinum factory wheels. I am trying very hard to keep it stock. I am only making minor mods that I can reverse easily. SO if these babies bolt off and on I think I know what car will be sporting in the Spring when it emerges from the garage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think black tips would work great for my sapphire blue car with Platinum factory wheels. I am trying very hard to keep it stock. I am only making minor mods that I can reverse easily. SO if these babies bolt off and on I think I know what car will be sporting in the Spring when it emerges from the garage.
I think there are brackets which tighten with a bolt on each end

This is a picture of my previous Cayman R which shows why I want to change... this is after a short drive after I just cleaned them!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found this pic I took from my previous Cayman R which shows the clamps.. looking at the 981 tip picture it looks like the bolt has moved to the rear... It looks easy enough to remove if you can get under the car

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
Removal of 981 stock tips is same as 987 and the pictures in post above show the clamps. On the 981, it's helpful to loosen the hangar clamp bolt and the flange bolts on one side to allow enough movement to slide the tip assembly off the muffler pipe. For OP, I think your options are:
- OEM GTS black tip assembly
- Paint your tips black (This could probably be done without fully removing them, just pivot them down and mask.)
- I'm pretty sure Fabspeed sells a tip assembly with black tips.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will take a look to removing it myself when the car arrives... Might try the high temp black paint as it's cheapest option and if I make a dogs dinner of it... will get the OEM GTS tips

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, was in exactly the same situation as you. Did not like the look of the tips with metal finish that gets partly covered with black soot. Makes them look old. They say you can regularly clean them to keep them looking new, but this would be a pain.

Taking the tips off is not super easy as you need to separate the exhaust. However, it is super easy to just loosen those two bolts, tilt the exhaust down, mask the car, and spray paint the tips black. Since they are black, you don't see the exhaust soot and they always look clean/new. I did it a year ago and put 8,000 miles on the car and they look the same as when I first painted them. They do talk about surface preparation being important - clean the tips and use sand paper to roughen them up before painting.

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts
I have a 2013 981 Boxster and I am running the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) and added the Fabspeed tips (black chrome) and it looks just great and the sound is very distinctive...love the look, sound, etc. Received many compliments...

View attachment image.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts