Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 986 which was desnorkeled by the previous owner and i loved the sound. My 2005 Boxster S is completely stock and I could go for a bit more sound and if I can desnorkel I would like to....

Is there a how to on this? I know the 986 is a bit different.

JK

·
Administrator
34,449 Posts
Don't do it...not worth it.
I'm not sure why you say that, especially with Facelvega's fine test article on the subject. Even if the HP gain is minimal, many people like the sound of their car after the mod as well. It is also easily reversible so if he doesn't like it, he can easily change it back.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I say that because I did it and it was not worth it. It is my personal opinion.
Maybe if you gave a little more details on why you think it wasn't worth it, your recommendation would be more helpful?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I say that because I did it and it was not worth it. It is my personal opinion.
It is free, so the "worth", is whether you find it useful or like it. Of course nothing is worth it if you don't like it. You won't know until you actually do it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Bhp gains are next to nothing from this mod , the difference in intake sound may be something you like or dislike. Personally I found the sound annoying as its a constant drone, an exhaust mod gives a much better result. If its a different , more sporty sound you are after , it would be better to undo the top sleeve that connects the two rear silencers and slide it across to expose a 1mm gap.
There are certain risks with both mods, the removal of the side intakes can result in the outer grille becoming broken on the clip mounting and the air filter can become water logged in the event of heavy rain or driving though flooded roads with baffle plate removed. The exhaust sleeve mod will cause the vehicle test station meter Lambda reading to be compromised. This doesnt effect the engine control but the test center use a meter that sits in the outlet , so the lambda measurement can be upset by the break in the exhaust system. As a result you need to slide the sleeve back into the closed position before vehicle testing for emissions.

Try them both and decide for yourself, just be patient when removing the outer intake grille.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Bhp gains are next to nothing from this mod , the difference in intake sound may be something you like or dislike. Personally I found the sound annoying as its a constant drone, an exhaust mod gives a much better result. If its a different , more sporty sound you are after , it would be better to undo the top sleeve that connects the two rear silencers and slide it across to expose a 1mm gap.
There are certain risks with both mods, the removal of the side intakes can result in the outer grille becoming broken on the clip mounting and the air filter can become water logged in the event of heavy rain or driving though flooded roads with baffle plate removed. The exhaust sleeve mod will cause the vehicle test station meter Lambda reading to be compromised. This doesnt effect the engine control but the test center use a meter that sits in the outlet , so the lambda measurement can be upset by the break in the exhaust system. As a result you need to slide the sleeve back into the closed position before vehicle testing for emissions.

Try them both and decide for yourself, just be patient when removing the outer intake grille.
Can you elaborate on the exhaust sleeve mod you are referring to?

I am purchasing a Carnewal mod for my 987.2 cayman s and would like to know if this is possible in addition to the modified stick exhaust in order to produce a more sporty sound. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Just loosen the cross pipes on the stock exhaust where the clamps are (its the pipes up high right in the center) should be 2 if I remember right ,move the inner sleeve pipe over some until there is a gap (the smaller pipe inside the larger ones moves ) this is for exhaust adjustment I believe ,adjust the gap to your liking( might need a hammer and flat head screw driver to move it over ) ,the larger the gap the louder the sound then tighten the clamps .there does not seem to be any increased fumes or smell as its only the cross pipes . Done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did a video on this; is hard to find specifics at least for the 987 boxster…did a 3d printed part for the inlet as well...

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you de-snorkle and add Composite Concepts GT4 style side scoops for the 987 Cayman or any 981 you sill see an increase of approx. 4 HP at 60mph. Its principle is simple. It uses an old hot rodders trick of ramming the air into the engine. You also get enhanced cooling on the right side.

Jon May
Composite Concepts Dist
[email protected]
954 931 0319

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts