Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 981S but I would really like to have the park assist on the rear (w/camera if possible) because my building has very narrow, tight parking spots with plenty of pillars waiting to jump out at you. The pickings are very slim when it comes to a 981 with the option and I'm wondering if there's a reason thats the case. Is it because its a useless feature to most or am I really that bad at parking :hilarious:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I chose it and like. As has been said on this forum befriend if I avoid on fender crunch it mony well spent.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I think the camera was not an available option until mid-year 2014. Also, if you want any kind of display, you need to order more than just rear parking sensors. If you get rear parking sensors only there is no display and instead you get audio beeping. Like a backing up truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh that makes more sense as to why I'm not seeing cars with the camera. I still find it odd that so few cars have even the sensors. I think its a pretty desirable option for $500-1500 myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the front & rear sensors & reversing camera. Have only had the car 3 weeks & haven't parallel parked yet, but love the sensors for when I'm going in & out of the garage. No danger of hitting either side when I'm angling in & don't have to worry about hitting the stuff stacked in front of the car in the garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the camera, but do have front and rear sensors. I find them very useful.

The salesman, and I think some on here, warned me away from the front sensors, because in some cases they won't detect a low curb before you hit it. I got them anyway, and I'm glad they did-- while that may be true, most of the time I park in a garage situation where I'm parking up against a wall, and they work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
You could get one built and get whatever you want on it. :)

For me, parking sensors was the one of the last few options I decided to add to my build and I'm glad I did. I have a single car garage and it's shared with all other sorts of tools and supplies to fix up the house. The sensors are extremely helpful when pulling in and making sure I'm in far enough, but not too far. Yeah, I know I could get other parking aids for my garage for a lot cheaper, but it's still handy to have when parking elsewhere too.

One consideration I had when I was making the decision was the impending regulation to require backup cameras / sensors in all US cars. I hate to pay a premium option price for something that will be built-in in future models. The price of the car will probably go up to account for it, but my guess is that it won't be nearly as much as paying for a separate option. It turns out that the requirement does not go into effect until 2018 (it's been pushed back several times) so it's not clear when or if Porsche will make the camera a standard feature ahead of the requirement. I decided I'd rather have it today and pay the premium than fret about what might be, tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got it on my order. When backing up, being able to "see" what's zooming down the aisle in a parking lot three feet before my own eyes can see it is valuable, especially for a car that sits so low that you can't see around/over/through cars parked next to you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the front & rear park assist option, but without camera (2014 CS).

I actually dislike it the more I'm driving the car as 1) the "tone" and radar map on the PCM is somewhat vague and imprecise, and 2) I immediately compare the system to my Lexus RX park assist system (with camera) which seems to be spot-on as far as accuracy (a solid tone means you are within 1" or you've already hit). Don't get me wrong, with the lower car it is saving some plastic down low for sure, and I don't hate it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have park assist front & rear on mine along with the backup camera.
The backup camera, IMO, is necessary equipment - it should come standard.
It's really hard to see out the back and the side when backing up....
Rear visibility is very bad.

I chose it and like. As has been said on this forum befriend if I avoid on fender crunch it mony well spent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have park assist front & rear on mine along with the backup camera.
The backup camera, IMO, is necessary equipment - it should come standard.
It's really hard to see out the back and the side when backing up....
Rear visibility is very bad.
Totally agree. I also find the rear visibility very bad. But the truth is that I already had a backup camera on my previous car, and I am now used to that feature. I presume you can live without...as long as you haven't tested it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yes get the rear camera for sure. In the boxster with the stop up you can't see much behind or back sides. One time I actually got lazy (and it was freezing cold out) and thought 'I hope nothing is there' as I crawled back. Don't do that ><

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe I'm old school, but even with all the park assist equipment in my wife's Cayenne, I still throw an arm over the seat and turn around to back up and judge the distance myself in the front. All the beeping just confirms what I'm seeing and the backup camera... well, I barely glance at it when moving.

So I'm not planning on getting it when I put in my order.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I got the sensors and camera on my car. My issue is that with kids and three dogs, I certainly don't want to run over anyone. But assuming that never happens, there is a good likelihood that I will run over a bike, kid size shovel, Barbie Jeep, etc. It is difficult to see anything out the back of the car. That doesn't bother me for trees, fences, or other cars (things that are 'tall'), but the kid size stuff scares me. It's one of those things that you don't need until you need it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The main reason I waited to get a 2015 CS is because it offered a reversing camera. My mom was killed by someone who backed over her. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Reverse camera is nice but not necessary in such a small car. We don't live in Europe, parking spots are huge here, the Boxster takes up a little over half the space. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the front and rear sensors & have found them to be very useful.
Is it possible to retrofit the camera? Where is the camera mounted?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have it all and it becomes very comfortable to use. One of the issues resolved by these systems is that I cannot see over the hood or behind the trunk. Sure I can see a person in front or back, but not the bumper of a car up close. Even with that, the front sensors do not see low curbs in parking lots so you still have to be careful.
Larry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We don't live in Europe, parking spots are huge here, the Boxster takes up a little over half the space. :)
LOL, that was the case for me when I lived on the East coast. Here in Seattle, the parking is actually almost Euro-tight which is why I wanted the camera ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm in the market for a 981S but I would really like to have the park assist on the rear (w/camera if possible) because my building has very narrow, tight parking spots with plenty of pillars waiting to jump out at you. The pickings are very slim when it comes to a 981 with the option and I'm wondering if there's a reason thats the case. Is it because its a useless feature to most or am I really that bad at parking :hilarious:
There isn't anything wrong with the system, most buyers simply won't need it.

Most people buying a Porsche sports car are not going to be daily driving it. The car is a weekend/autocross/track toy. So, most aren't planning on parking in tight spaces. Heck, there are a few threads about just parking in public :gossip:

I reckon that those folks that are going to be daily driving are the ones that are opting for the parking sensors. This group is a minority, so you see disparate numbers when you look at cars for sale.

Here are your options:

Rear only --> $530 --> You only get proximity beeps when in reverse

Front/Rear --> $860 --> You get proximity beeps when driving slowly or in reverse, you also get a bird's eye graphic of the car indicating how close you are to objects displayed on the center screen.

Front/Rear/Camera --> $1,515 + Upgrade to CDR required (CDR+ @ $1,700, Infotainment w/Bose @ $3,990, Infotainment w/Burmester @ $6,730) --> You get same as Front/Rear, but I believe the screen is split in two with half for back-up camera view and the other half is the bird's eye graphic.

My take on the system:

I will be daily driving my car and I will be living in/near a big city with crappy parking spaces. I am not upgrading the CDR/PCM system, so the camera wasn't going to happen. It isn't much money to go from rear only to Front/Rear and the graphic is worth the upcharge. So, I opted for the Front/Rear combo.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts