Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start off by apologizing if pricing talk isn't allowed -- I read the FAQ and didn't see anything listed forbidding it. Mods, please delete if this is against any rules.

I'd been emailing an out of state (technically, accross-the country) dealer about a 2010 Cayman S he has on his lot. Due to major upcoming life changes (multiple loans to get a new medical office off the ground, new wife, new house, etc), I had decided that I would save some money by picking up another pristine (but preowned since they're no longer made) E86 ///M to replace the one in my avatar that was totalled by an elderly woman driving a Lincoln a month back. So this morning this dealer emailed me out of the blue to ask if I was still interested and I responded with my current situation and that I'd be limited to mid 9s a month for a lease which I thought would be well out of the realm of possibility for a car that's listed on his site for $75k (it's very well optioned...essentially everything with LSD but no PASM and no PDK). Well to my surprise, he responded with an offer at $970/month plus "TTL and Startup fees" for 36mos and 10k\year.

Of course I'll have to have the car transported here...but would this be considered a good deal and\or are there magic leasing numbers at play that will screw me in the end?

Thanks so much for any responses! (I'm a little excited right now)

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a lot of information available on the Internet to help you figure out if you have a good deal:

How Car Leasing Works. What Auto Dealers and Lease Companies Don't Want You to Know!

CarBuyingTips.com: How to lease a new car, avoid scams

Good luck!

Your Goals When Leasing A Vehicle

• Get as low a capitalized value as possible.
  • Get as high a residual value as possible (If you're not buying the car at the end).
  • Get as low a money factor as possible.
  • Pay $0 down, $0 security deposit, $0 bank fees, $0 dealer fees.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I got more information:

Base cap cost: $69,814
Residual: $41,247
Money Factor: .00158
For a new, well-optioned 2010 CS off the lot, what you're describing sounds like a very decent deal, assuming zero down payment. The money factor calculates out to 3.79% APR and as K-Man S stated, the residual is about right. Also, assuming the $970 is just the monthly payment, remember you'll have to pay sales taxes on that amount every month.

When I was shopping around for a lease, the best money factor I could get at the time was around 0.0026 (6.24%). I ended up financing thru the PFS 1.9% promotion, which you might also consider - although your monthly payment will be higher compared to a lease during the same term, you're building equity in the car.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Let me first start off by apologizing if pricing talk isn't allowed -- I read the FAQ and didn't see anything listed forbidding it. Mods, please delete if this is against any rules.

I'd been emailing an out of state (technically, accross-the country) dealer about a 2010 Cayman S he has on his lot. Due to major upcoming life changes (multiple loans to get a new medical office off the ground, new wife, new house, etc), I had decided that I would save some money by picking up another pristine (but preowned since they're no longer made) E86 ///M to replace the one in my avatar that was totalled by an elderly woman driving a Lincoln a month back. So this morning this dealer emailed me out of the blue to ask if I was still interested and I responded with my current situation and that I'd be limited to mid 9s a month for a lease which I thought would be well out of the realm of possibility for a car that's listed on his site for $75k (it's very well optioned...essentially everything with LSD but no PASM and no PDK). Well to my surprise, he responded with an offer at $970/month plus "TTL and Startup fees" for 36mos and 10k\year.

Of course I'll have to have the car transported here...but would this be considered a good deal and\or are there magic leasing numbers at play that will screw me in the end?

Thanks so much for any responses! (I'm a little excited right now)
My napkin math tells me that there is no trunk money and they are making $4K off you. Decent deal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My napkin math tells me that there is no trunk money and they are making $4K off you. Decent deal.
I am no expert but that must be one hell of a napkin. Just out of curiosity if the MSRP is $75k and he has a $69k cap with $0 down I don't know where you see another $4k worth of profit.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Fun time to be shopping . . . my wife and I are both home today and scouring various places . . . it's amazing how many dealers have no Caymans. I hope that means there is a flotilla of 2011's on the way.

I confess that the more I look and the more tales I hear the tougher it gets to tell a good tell from a mediocre one.

I'm betting that eventually the car will find us.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure where you are coming up with the $4k profit for the dealer.

Fun time to be shopping . . . my wife and I are both home today and scouring various places . . . it's amazing how many dealers have no Caymans. I hope that means there is a flotilla of 2011's on the way.
We sure hope there will be more 2011 Cayman's than there were in 2010. However given that Porsche is slowing production on all sports cars (911's, Caymans & Boxster's) because they are ramping up production of the Cayennes and Panamera V6's it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

From what I have been told they won't be producing any cars in August. Which pushes the bulk of the production of 2011 Cayman's amongst others to September at the earliest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts