Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - brand new to this site. I've been researching replacing the stock stereo with a Nav unit, plus adding an amp. I had one installer say the amp takes 5 hours to install. When I asked why he said...

....the problem is that the factory amp has the crossover built into each output for each individual speaker, so when we install the amp, we also have to build a cap and coil network for each speaker to replicate the crossover.

I had another installer say he thought this may be over the top and hadn't heard of it being necessary. I know aftermarket stereo installs are a big topic with the Bose system, but has anyone ever heard of having to do this?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have a Boston Audio GTA-1005 amp installed in my 06 BS. My installer said I didn't technically need it, but recommended it.

Sound is great at high volume, and its a lot easier to fine tune the sound, since you can tweak the amp and not just rely on the controls on the head unit. I disabled the Bose sub as well and removed the tiny Bose amp.

Not sure about specifics, but it definitely didn't take 5 hours to install...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oakley: Where are you in California? Probably try the west region forum. Should be someone who knows a knowledgeable installer who has worked on porsches.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Was able to install an aftermarket double din unit while keeping my bose amp by using the nav-tv adapter. Also didn't loose any precious cargo space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts