Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Is this service history frightening?

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Morde5 
#1 ·
Would you be afraid of lots of parts replaced under warranty? According to Carfax the cats were replaced twice, computer checked and freon charged all before 20k miles. Then engine, flywheel replaced and transmission repair at 47k now the car is up for sale at 57k miles. Are there still gremlins or is this a great deal with an almost new engine?
Called the dealer but they won't confirm without permission of the owner.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DSP_0&vin=WP0AB29806U780991

#4 ·
Would you be afraid of lots of parts replaced under warranty?
What concerns me about that CarFax is the lack of oil changes and basic maintenance over the years. Looks like there were major amts of time and mileage between oil changes. Quite possible the "new" engine still has its original oil from 3.5 yrs ago and 11K mi. Not good. And I only saw 1 brake fluid flush in 11 yrs (Porsche recommends at least every 2 yrs). That's not good either and appears to set a pattern. It's entirely possible the owner may have done some of these maintenance items himself, but then why would he pay the dealership to do them sometimes? That tells me he probably had the dealer do all of them, which is far short of how often they should have been done. It's quite possible the long oil change intervals assisted in the demise of his original engine. From the information in the CarFax, this looks like an under-maintained car. I would be leery. Chances are there are plenty of items that need attn. The lack of maintenance is being passed on to the next owner.

#6 ·
Personally I would never consider a car that has had it's engine replaced. I understand the argument that a new engine is almost like getting a new car. But I would always be wondering when the next shoe will fall. Plus, in my humble opinion, trying to resell the car with a Carfax saying the engine has been replaced might be more difficult and hurt your resale price.

#10 ·
I would consider the new engine a plus. In 2013 the new engine is most likely with the updated IMSB which is much more reliable. I did not see anything very troubling in the CarFax. Replacing the flywheel and clutch during the engine replacement is prudent and I would consider it also a good thing. Replacing the cats 17 days after purchase? I wouldn't worry. Here is how the story goes. The CEL comes on. You know that may be caused for many reasons. The car is under warranty. You take it to the dealer for inspection. They clear the error, the O2 sensors are kind of off specs. Hey, why not charge Porsche 5-7K for parts and labor to replace the suspicious cats under warranty?
Try to get as much history as you can, do a thorough PPI and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.