Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Is slight steering wheel vibration between 60-75 with 19's "Normal"?

• No, I've never had issues at any speed.

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No, regardless of what the tire place states, the wheels aren't properly balanced.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Yes, I've accepted this as the norm, even after freshly balanced wheels.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Yes, it's because you're not using "N" rated tires.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Victor Zehn wheels (19x9) and Hankook V12 tires (235/35) - fronts. I noticed steering wheel vibration right after install (Roadforce balanced) between speeds of 60-75. I previously had 18's with no issues.

I brought the car in for rebalancing yesterday, and the balancing changed slightly. The vibration is still there (marginally better) now more at 65-75. Below and above those speeds there are no issues. Rock solid at 100. There are times when it's gone, which appears random, not based on driving surface. On the ride this morning it was smooth, and while going through a long turn, the vibration picked up and stayed when straightening. It's almost like they're both off and at times find the "even-out" spot. I'm using stock lugs, 96 pounds torqued.

I've read numerous posts about this slight vibration issue, but wanted to see how common it is (maybe a 19's issue?).

I'm bringing it back this afternoon, and Discount Tire will try to obtain less than 10 pounds Roadforce. I know that a couple of the wheels were already at or below 10 pounds.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Victor's are made for porsche by TSW and are hubcentric (without the need for plastic rings). Wheels are properly torqued in the star pattern. Also, I don't notice any vibration except in the steering wheel. Alignment was done last Friday, with minimal adjustment needed.

What I thought was initialy good was that the wheels didn't even require much weight to balance.

They'll break the tires loose this afternoon and try again.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've never had any vibrations (also on 19"), recently I couldn't avoid a monster pothole and expected the worst. But really as much as I try and "feel for a vibration" I think anything I've felt has been in my head or from rough road surface. If you're getting unusual steering feedback I'd go back and have it rebalanced.

Also recently having gone through a similar situation with my wifes mazda, It really sounds like the balance is off. We got new tires from costco and at speeds over 50 the car felt like the right front was going to wobble off. After taking it back in for a rebalance there is 0 vibration, hopefully your shop can get it right.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear it's not normal.

I drove 40 miles, and then brought them in.

When they put it on the balancing machine, both were off by .25 ounces (again).

They took the weights off, and redid the roadforce. the right side measured 19 pounds. I recall reading somewhere on here that 10 or less is ideal.

They shifted the tire about half a rotation, which brought the road force to 14 pounds. The wheel took 1.5 ounces to balance.

The other wheel was at 11 pounds of roadforce, and also took 1.5 ounces to balance.

I'm heading on a 4 hour drive tomorrow, hope the issue's gone.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I feel your pain. Have had much more experience with front end vibration at certain speeds than ever wanted. Have an 06 CS which had an initial problem with a bent factory 19" wheel. Initially repaired and balanced at the local dealer. Vibration continued until I visited Suncoast who rebalanced all 4 wheels with no problem at any speed since. Apparently some machines/techs are better than others, ;). Had another experience with an 07 SRT8 Magnum with stock 20" wheels with steering vib. at 80-85 mph. Again had multiple roadforce(RF) balances with no luck. Finally a store "CALIBRATED" the machine prior to RF balancing then put the worst wheel on rear right. No problem since. Good luck and don't let them tell you vibration is normal. BTW I'm sure you thought about the possibility of a bad tire/tires? Since the wheels are hub centric, may also want to try progressive torqueing of the lugs. Starting at 60lb/ft, torque all lugs in a star pattern. Then progress to 80, then 95.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Ask for the "highest spec" balance if you have not already, on the road force balancer. If all else fails reject the tyres.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vibration is gone. Thanks for everyone's ideas and votes. I'll now add my vote as "it's a balancing issue".

BTW - both rear wheels took only one once each to balance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Happened to my factory 18's with 4000 miles on them, must've dropped a weight or sth, got a noticeable vibe at 65-70mph. Dealer made it worse. Two different tire shops later, glass smooth.. Now, nearly 20,000 miles later, those fronts (same tires) are still glass smooth. Keep at it.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
I just installed Victor Zehn wheels (19x9) and Hankook V12 tires (235/35) - fronts. I noticed steering wheel vibration right after install (Roadforce balanced) between speeds of 60-75. I previously had 18's with no issues.

I brought the car in for rebalancing yesterday, and the balancing changed slightly. The vibration is still there (marginally better) now more at 65-75. Below and above those speeds there are no issues. Rock solid at 100. There are times when it's gone, which appears random, not based on driving surface. On the ride this morning it was smooth, and while going through a long turn, the vibration picked up and stayed when straightening. It's almost like they're both off and at times find the "even-out" spot. I'm using stock lugs, 96 pounds torqued.

I've read numerous posts about this slight vibration issue, but wanted to see how common it is (maybe a 19's issue?).

I'm bringing it back this afternoon, and Discount Tire will try to obtain less than 10 pounds Roadforce. I know that a couple of the wheels were already at or below 10 pounds.
I'd have them check the fit of the hub rings in the middle of the wheels. I got a set of Forgestars that came without their spacers and needed them. Believe me you need these rings. When I finally got the rings and the correct bolts, the fit of the rings was really loose. I still haven't mounted these tires because they're track tires and I haven't had a track day for a while, but I'm betting they'll shake a little because the wheels are not centered on the bolts, they're centered on the hub rings. If the hub rings aren't a good fit, there's room for the wheel to mount a little off center.

When I use my Porsche wheels, they always balance fine...without N rated tires, BTW. I think Forgestar wheels are made well, but the seller did not inform us of the need for hub rings, where the hub rings would be in the package or that we'd need to buy special bolts to fit these wheels.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Six - but the issue was resolved via an additional dismount, remount, and balance after a long drive to eliminate any flat spots.

The Zehns are also hub-centric, meaning no rings needed! No issues in 2k miles other than an occasional flat spot for the first 5-10 miles or so...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.