Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one key for my ‘08 Cayman S Sport that isn’t working. I’ve replaced the battery with a couple of different new batteries and I’m not getting any light to light on the remote. Any thoughts on why the remote might be dead? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the door-locks, that the key will still start the car.
Electronics can just die after 12 yrs. Dropping the key could shorten its life. Do any of the buttons work? Those are the only parts on the circuit board that might wear through use.
But it might be something physical with the casing. There's the battery contacts for +-. Dirt can prevent a circuit completion. The case external buttons might not be making contact. You can buy empty shells on Amazon or ebay and transfer everything into the new shell (including the key blade). I've done that a few times on my 2010. I don't know how similar the FOBs are to 987.1. BTW, there's a magnet-looking piece that also needs to be transferred. It is sensed in the ignition switch and is necessary to the starter to engage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming you mean the door-locks, that the key will still start the car.
Electronics can just die after 12 yrs. Dropping the key could shorten its life. Do any of the buttons work? Those are the only parts on the circuit board that might wear through use.
But it might be something physical with the casing. There's the battery contacts for +-. Dirt can prevent a circuit completion. The case external buttons might not be making contact. You can buy empty shells on Amazon or ebay and transfer everything into the new shell (including the key blade). I've done that a few times on my 2010. I don't know how similar the FOBs are to 987.1. BTW, there's a magnet-looking piece that also needs to be transferred. It is sensed in the ignition switch and is necessary to the starter to engage.

Correct, it won’t lock the door or lease the hood or rear latch. It is back-up key for the car. My #1 key works fine. What I don’t understand is that the key has hardly ever been used. Tried to compare to my main key and they both appear identical. The number 2 key just doesn’t seem to be getting any power, even with a new battery.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I had a key fob fail me once in a non Porsche vehicle after being dropped. In that case the metal clip inside the fob that holds the 2032 battery came unsoldered from the circuit board due to the force of the drop. There was another case that I know of where someone dropped their fob momentarily into a sink of dish water. In that case there was a fine film on the surface of the small circuit board inside the fob. After gently cleaning the entire surface of the circuit board and components with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol the fob started working. An accumulation of pocket fuzz could be the culprit too. I would at least try the Q-Tip cleaning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one key for my ‘08 Cayman S Sport that isn’t working. I’ve replaced the battery with a couple of different new batteries and I’m not getting any light to light on the remote. Any thoughts on why the remote might be dead? Thanks.
No light might mean that the battery is not making contact with the copper contacts. This could be caused because the contacts are slightly bent. You should be able test the battery contacts and see if the light on the fob is on without closing the fob completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are so right. I took a screwdriver and played with the contacts and I’m getting a light. Bingo. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2007 Boxster S Meteor Gray
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 BS that came with 2 key fobs. One would work remotely, the other would not. I replaced the battery in the non-working one and still no go. I had the car checked out by the local dealership and they tested the key fob for me. The fob is bad. $525 to replace. I did not go that route as it still works to open the doors mechanically and start the car if needed in a pinch. Not worth $525 to have a 2nd working key fob sit on the hook. The dealership also used their own new batteries as they said they have found new batteries from customers can be actually old and not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts