Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this thread from almost a year ago about someone who is/was havin' the same problem I am with the radio. However, it was never updated.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/33335-radio-radio-station.html

The station and song information that scrolls across seems to be stuck on one of the stations I listen to. It's been stuck on the same song for a couple weeks. Kind of annoying. I would say it was a problem with the station and not the radio, but the tag info works fine in our other vehicles. Is there a fix for this? Vehicle is a '07 Cayman (base model). Not sure what the type of radio is called. It just looks like a normal factory radio.

·
Registered
227 Posts
From my understanding the CDR-24 retrieves the RDS(song info sent from radio stations) signal via the antenna and then the radio sends it to the instrument cluster.

I talked with a Porsche tech a few weeks ago about how the RDS signal is sent and he thought it was via the CANBUS(not 100% sure). Seems you might either have an issue with the CANBUS or the radio is locked up internally sending the wrong RDS signal.

Hope this helps.
RR:cheers:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks.

If I change the station, it works fine. On the station I listen to most, it will show the name of the station fine on both the instrument cluster and the radio face. However, when it goes to show the song, it locks up and stays frozen on a band name for a song that played a couple weeks ago, no matter what song is on. And on top of that, it's a crappy band... lol

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
People seem to experience strange glitches with the CDR-24 from time to time - if something is frozen on it, the usual recommendation is to pull the radio fuse or disconnect the battery for 10-15 min. to see if that resets it.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
People seem to experience strange glitches with the CDR-24 from time to time - if something is frozen on it, the usual recommendation is to pull the radio fuse or disconnect the battery for 10-15 min. to see if that resets it.
The radio on my Boxster froze. I pulled the radio fuse. When I put the fuse back in everything was fine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to go up to the dealer today to have a key programmed, and I asked them to take a look at the radio also. They said it was a problem with the radio station, and not the radio. That can't be right, because the other vehicles we have work fine on the same station. I was told I could take my car back up there on another day and leave it with them, and they will look into it more and see about gettin' it fixed if they're able to. I assume that since it's still under an extended warranty it will be covered.

gfspencer, I just might go give that a try. I'm not sure what all they did to check it out, but I know the time was wrong and my average mpg was reset, so they must've unplugged somethin' to try to reset it. It can't hurt to pull the fuse and reinstall it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Seems that the dealer should be able to try a radio they have in stock to see if the problem exist with a different head unit. They probably only did a reset of your system and checked for error codes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

I had the dealer install a new exhaust for me, and while the car was there I asked them to look at the radio again. The mechanic explained to me what he believed the problem was, and said there wasn't anything that could be done about it because it wasn't really a problem with the radio, but rather a problem with the combination of regulations for air time in this country, the radio stations, and the radio itself. He said he's seen the problem before and even discussed it with someone from Porsche. He told me all this before he looked at the radio in my car. After messin' with it a little and checkin' things out, he said the problem was not what he thought it was. They'll be orderin' me a new CDR-24 and I should have it installed next week when it comes in. That should fix my problem. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great to see the dealer is taking care of this issue for you. Good luck with your replacement HU.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.