Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Zunsport grills for my 981 and installed them back in the fall, and had no issues. I had my front bumper resprayed a few weeks ago, and I removed the grills beforehand. When I went to reinstall them a few weeks ago, it seemed like they fit pretty loosely (especially the lowest ones), but they did go in. Of course, after a drive last night, I noticed that the bottom two were missing (I assume they fell out somewhere).

I ordered replacements, and I'm kind of assuming that removing the old ones bent them enough that they weren't tight went they went back in, and that the new ones won't have this issue.

Does anyone else have any tips for installing these?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It has been a long time since I installed mine, but don’t the side grills have clips that are required to hold them in place? You may have forgotten that the clips were there when you removed them and then re-installed without the clips after the re-spray?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine didn't have clips to begin with - they just kind of have tabs that hold them in. These are the bumper grills, not for the air intake grills

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer the RGS style grills in that they fit from behind rather than sitting on the front. Look more OEM. You can either DIY or buy them from the radiator grill store:

·
Registered
500 Posts
IMO the Zunsports had nicer build quality but I also had a problem with one of the lower pieces falling out. All you can really do is make adjustments to the bend of the piece and the tabs to try to get it to fit more securely. After losing that piece twice I switched to RGS. There's no way that they will fall out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
IMO the Zunsports had nicer build quality but I also had a problem with one of the lower pieces falling out. All you can really do is make adjustments to the bend of the piece and the tabs to try to get it to fit more securely. After losing that piece twice I switched to RGS. There's no way that they will fall out.
The RGS write-up does not even make sense. The radiators are in the back, near the engine and behind the side intakes. The A/C condensers are in the front! How can you even trust them? I made mine for $3 and they are still holding up after 5 years of use.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The RGS write-up does not even make sense. The radiators are in the back, near the engine and behind the side intakes. The A/C condensers are in the front! How can you even trust them? I made mine for $3 and they are still holding up after 5 years of use.
I always thought they were radiators up front. Are you sure about that!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wrong. The radiators are in the front right behind the AC condenser. I think your comment is misplaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife lost one grill on the track so I contacted Zunsport. They told me to zip tie the grills to make sure they were strong enough for the junk flying around at speed.
Works like a charm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try Again!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tips on install of your own? Tapes? Zip ties? other?
I'm in the process of removing the front clip to install a clear bra, which has a lot of pieces and then create a template for each of the two air intakes. The rear/side air intakes pop out fairly easily for a mesh install as well. Those retail for $169. Sheesh. I don't have deep pockets. FWIW there is a youtube video on cleaning out the radiator(s)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts