Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I believe it is about that time of year again where it starts getting colder out and it takes forever for the tires to warm up. Yesterday It was 46 degrees out and it took about 25 miles for the tires to warm up. Normally I just pull the car out of the garage am I am good to go. The car felt uneasy like I need needed an alignment because the tires where so hard and not gripping. The car also felt bouncy. After the tires heated up i noticed a big difference in grip and the car felt more planted and stable on the road like it normally does. I need to check the tire pressure on all four wheels, maybe the tires lost some pressure due to the change in temperature, weather has been sporadic lately. We went from low 60's to 30's overnight it seems. Anyone else experiencing cold tire feel yet?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think cold does make everything stiffer, but driving to work early morning last week when it was 21 degrees out, I found the car handled just fine. I did boost cold tire pressure to 35 some weeks go and they heat up to 37ish in the cold.

Personal opinion, near 40 tire pressure handles best. Cold tires at 25 pressure handled sloppy and going up to 35 made a huge difference. The same old pressure used to be 30 cold and 35ish hot in the summer.

So if anything, definitely check tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My TPMS monitor reads 33 per tire when heated up but always starts out out 30. It took a good 25 miles to get the tires to 33.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I think cold does make everything stiffer, but driving to work early morning last week when it was 21 degrees out, I found the car handled just fine. I did boost cold tire pressure to 35 some weeks go and they heat up to 37ish in the cold.

Personal opinion, near 40 tire pressure handles best. Cold tires at 25 pressure handled sloppy and going up to 35 made a huge difference. The same old pressure used to be 30 cold and 35ish hot in the summer.

So if anything, definitely check tire pressure.
Similar opinion here. Last week at VIR we were starting the mornings at sub 40 degree temps. I had already raised my air pressures a bit from prior track events due to the outside edge wear on the fronts. (Pilot Super Sports) I settled on starting at 35 psi front 33 psi rear cold which would rise to 42- 40 during a session. That seems kind of high but in cold temps it FELT good. I drove it home that way and it settles at about 37 psi all around on the highway. I like the way it feels and I'm going to run it through the winter at these pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts