Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Cayman S on order for an intentionally deferred summer delivery, subject to final decisions on color & a couple of good long test drives. Maybe even a few track laps. Why the delay , because I'm uncertain & having been swayed by all the positive press, I need actual Cayman seat time to pull the trigger.

I've finally got my 993 exactly the way I want it: G50/21 Euro close ratio gearbox, LSD, LWF, RS clutch, lowered Euro M030 w/HD Bilsteins suspension, blah, blah, blah. I love just about everythiong about it. While it may represent the pinnacle of air-cooled NA 911s, it's hardly perfect & yes, there have been very desireable technological advances in the past 10 years.

I would never say this in front of my adored 993, but its AC sucks (unless compared to an earlier 911), it has or will likely develop the usual 993 creaks & groans & other minor annoyances, e.g., noisy front sway bar bushings, sticking/noisy clutch slave cylinder, leaking lower valve cover gaskets, periodic spoiler wall tearing, etc. However, nothing major has broken, ... yet. Most such flaws are excused in this 'last of the real 911s' & are characterized as quaint idiosyncrasies. BTW, in a 99x, 98x or C7S, lesser problems cause many pre '99 911 owners to snicker & blame Japanese influenced mass production problems. Those same folks are predictable Cayman bashers.

So, I'm torn. A new car warranty, real AC, a tight structure & some of that modern stuff like head/thorax/side airbags, PASM & PSM are attractive to me. I hope a drive will turn me on ... or off.

As many have observed, I too wish the Cayman S had a bit more, but in a way, I'd maybe prefer if it had a whole bunch less, so my decision would be easier.

Hope everyone had a happy new year and welcome to the year of the Cayman.

Edited by - lizardS on 01/01/2006 11:25:04 PM

·
Registered
831 Posts
LOL, not an easy one perhaps. You are right a run in the Cayman might give you the answers, but a 993 with those options, especially if it is in good shape, is becoming tougher and tougher to come by.

Actually, I think you really need to decide if that 993 is for you. It seems like it is a daily driver. If you will be putting medium to high miles on it, it will likely give you more problems that will cut into its joy. If it is a weekend, occasional track/concours, etc. type car for you; I'd say keep it frankly. But for a daily driver, a new car's comfort, peace of mind, technical updates and so forth will most likely weigh in to swing you off the 993.

The 993 is a wonderful car, even though it is a little short n its wheel base for me /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/wink_smile.gif, but the interior desing, the seats, fading colors, etc.; I know I could not drive it on a daily basis. I think it all depends on how you want to live with either one (some inappropriate anologies come to mind that I won't put them into writing /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/embaressed_smile.gif)

One thing also to keep in mind: the 993 prices, especially 1996 and 98, are coming down quite fast. I suspect if the Cayman is perceived well, it will further speed up the decline in the prices.

Cheers,
Edited by - FT on 01/01/2006 11:54:41 PM

Edited by - FT on 01/01/2006 11:55:30 PM

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts FT. My 993 is a daily driver - she's got her winter wheels/tires on now. Just turned 56k miles & I only drive about 5k per year so there's plenty of hopefully trouble free years left. Garaged at home & office, no nicks, dents, dings, or stories. Low, rumbling idle & just orgasmic sounds when the varioram kicks in.

BTW, I too thought of several 'I can't post that' analogies. Great (or is it crass) minds ... LOL.

<input width="761" type="image" height="292" src="/UserFiles/L_Side_Atec2(1).jpg" />

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
hey lizardS, that is a gorgeous 993 ya got. I'm faced with a similar situation, whether or not to part company with my 89 911 Speedster (w/ 25K miles). I've decided to hold onto her and lease a new Cayman for 4 years. My thinking is that in four years, the develoment of the Cayman (or 911) might include a model I'd like to spec and own for a long, long time. I've never owned a modern Porsche so I'm going for the 4 year test drive to see if I like it better than the raw, visceral power of the older 911's. If I knew I could easily find another great 89 911 or a 97 993, I'd probably sell her to ease the financial burden . . . however they just don't make cars like that anymore and I can see kicking myself whenever I come upon that classic 911 silouhette. The Cayman however, is a perfect complement to my ragtop and yes, I will most definitely enjoy the Cayman's air conditioned comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
FWIW I think waiting to see how the Cayman drives and suits you is absolutely the way to go. You've got a real nice 993 and they are getting harder to come by in good condition with low milage. None of the post 993 Porsches (including the "911") will feel the same as the 993. Despite the numerous changes, the 993 seating, instrument cluster, doors, window frames, etc. connects it to all the other 911s that went before it. You can sit in a 72 S and a 98 C2S with a high degree of familiarity. Like the song says, something's lost and something's gained. Since you really can't replace your particular 993 you better make sure you gain more than you lose.

Edited by - DaveC on 01/02/2006 06:36:35 AM

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
I have always regretted at some point every Porsche that I've sold. If possible keep it as a toy and get the Cayman as a daily driver. One thing to consider is that there will always be a Cayman available but this car will never be available again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
lizardS,

Might be off topic, but how much did it cost you to install the LSD on your 993? This is definitely something I want to look into for the Cayman S.

I've finally got my 993 exactly the way I want it: G50/21 Euro close ratio gearbox, LSD, LWF, RS clutch, lowered Euro M030 w/HD Bilsteins suspension, blah, blah, blah..

Edited by - lizardS on 01/01/2006 11:25:04 PM

·
Registered
463 Posts
lizard, I don't have enough money to have this problem with cars, but I've run into this problem many times with motorcycles. If you have enough money and space, no reason to get rid of anything! (Jay Leno). So it really depends on what's motivating you to sell. But anyway, I've got a couple bikes with sentimental value and those have to stay.Like the old lamp I've had since childhood. Seems like with all the stuff and effort you've put intoyour car you've got some of that. If so, don't sell (it looks really good by the way).Otherwise, it's just old and can't competewith new technology. Out with the old, in with the new- they're just things.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
LizardS,

That is indeed a pretty perfect 993... and beautiful black, too. I agree with all of what's been written above, so here's my $.02 on some other things - I was a big early 911 person, have had 5 up to this time, three of the old style. But, once you spend some time in one of the new cars, you'll marvel at how the pedals hang from the top, and you don't have to cant your legs over to the right to drive. Heel and toe is easy.

Here's a big one for me: The new cars also make wonderful, long trips possible, even in the summer. Last summer, I put 7,300 miles on my 996 turbo in three weeks driving from CA to the Parade in Hershey and back and it was a blast. Going through southern Utah, I took a picture of my guages... the speedo said 134, the outside temp was 104 and the engne temp was still right at 185 degrees, all the while it's 70 degrees inside a black car, with the Bose system serving up great sound. An impossible feat in an aircooled Porsche.

I had a '75 Carrara with 52k original miles on it when I went to see the 1999 996, and I was predisposed not to like it at all... but a long test drive really changed my mind.

If you can leep the 993, do so... I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the turbo, but I htink the Cayman will be a fun car to drive, but in a different way then the turbo is...

Brad

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If it is possible to succumb to the new car lust - get the Cayman S - and still maintain the long term relationship with the 993 - a different kind of love attachment - then do it. When it comes to cars, it is possible to loveand have more than one at a time and it doesn't have to be that complicated. A few months after getting the new car you will be clearer about your feelings towards both cars and you will have the ability to make the right decision. It is never easy to give up vehicle that you have become attached to.In the end we do it because it simplifies our lives and we find that our lives keep moving ahead. Just don't look back, there will be plenty of time for that some other day.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Dan,

I am not clear on this point. Are you saying if you get the Cayman, you will sell the 993?

Now I can't do that with my RUF, as the performance gap is just too big. Also, if I sell my RUF, I will never be able to find another one like it again. So my 993 will stay forever.

I can see me adding a Cayman as a daily driver though. As much fun as the RUF is, I can't really drive/park it anywhere. Also that fact that the Cayman is state-of-the-art in the air bag department is a huge deal as far as my wife goes.

Good luck with your Cayman decision.

CP

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ibought abrand new 2002 996 3.6L with every technological advancement and warranty (after selling some older Porsches). I soldthe 99610 mos. later for a 993 with none of the above (for half the price). I would prefer the 993 even if they cost the same - I just enjoy it far more. Don't sell your 993. Wait until a used Cayman becomes affordable enough, so you can have both (or do it now if you can afford it).

Edited by - grant on 01/03/2006 10:45:40 AM

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I ended up selling my '97 C2S for an offer I couldn't refuse. I didn't really have a place to keep it & maintaining an extra caris always a bit of hassle. However, if hadn't been for the Cayman it would have been a keeper. Only had 32k miles & was almost new, even the AC worked in Phoenix summers. If I don't like the Cayman I'll be hard pressed to find another 993 like it. I wouldn't consider a 996 & don't want a 997 enough to buy a new one. If you can hang on to your 993 until you have had the Cayman for a while go for it. IMO, the 993 is the best looking 911 ever made.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">To reiterate what others are saying I don’t think you will want to let this car go. As a pretty young soon to be cayman owner (26) I grew up in love with the 993. The 996 came as such a disappointment and the 997 seemed to have turned it around some but still nothing compares to the 993. Every time I see one on the road I tell my fiancé that it is my dream car and yours looks absolutely stunning. If I had another car to drive as a daily driver I would definitely be trying to find a 993 but seeing as my new car will be my only car Idon’t have that luxury. I will one day own a 993 hopefully as good looking as yours, and I truly think you will regret the decision if you let it go. If you can afford to do it, lease the cayman and keep the 993.

·
Registered
148 Posts
LizardS,
I have a similar dilema. My red 993 is still in my garage and my Cayman is coming in March. My 993 is totally stock. To me the truth is the new cars are much more comfortable inside. I'm getting a little tired of the 993. I love the car and have tried to tell my wife it would be a great investment to have both. But since neither is my daily driver she said you will be sleeping in one of them if you have both. I'm still working on her. My brother has a boxter S and it's a totally different drive. I think the Cayman will be easier to drive on a daily basis. My 993 is not set up like yours, which is sooo hot, but you got a tough choice. Good luck.
JNeg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts