Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posed this question on RennList this morning - and no responses yet. Not too surprising since they have 5 different forums all for the same Boxsters/Caymans.. (I have some hope of fixing that - I'm a mod over there..)

Anyway - my glove box handle (the one you pull to unlatch and open it) has quite a bit of play in it - probably about 1/2". If I lock the glove box that play is reduced to a more acceptable 1/4".

Luckily I'm a bit deaf, so if it's making jiggly noises I'm not hearing them, but I'm more concerned with the thing getting infinite play in it - meaning I can't open the glove box.

So here are my questions:
-----------------------------------
[ ] This is normal - think of something else to obsess over
[ ] This is awful. Your car will blow up soon (or require you to blow it up to get into the glovebox)
[ ] Hey - I had the same issue and this is what I did to fix it:
[ ] Something else - please elucidate
-----------------------------------

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don,

On my 2010 BS, the glove box latch actually broke. I was able to McGiver a cure, but what I learned was that the parts list drawings have enough info in them to tell you what is going on with the "looseness." I'd recommend you spend some time looking at those before doing any disassembly. PS: If you decide to do some disassembly, be forwarned that there are several springs in the mechanism which WILL scatter parts during disassembly.

Good luck!

Joe Henley

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,

On my 2010 BS, the glove box latch actually broke. I was able to McGiver a cure, but what I learned was that the parts list drawings have enough info in them to tell you what is going on with the "looseness." I'd recommend you spend some time looking at those before doing any disassembly. PS: If you decide to do some disassembly, be forwarned that there are several springs in the mechanism which WILL scatter parts during disassembly.

Good luck!

Joe Henley
Joe - thanks for the reply. Most P dealers on-line no longer offer the high-res parts layout diagrams they used to. Most of them are small images (I suspect all from the same source actually)....

When yours broke - what broke?

And the springs - are they located on the rotating latching mechanism that goes to the two latches on the sides? I did lookup a replacement latch assembly (the handle/lock part) and I assume without a key/lock included (use old one) looked to be around $50 from several dealers. Seems too cheap to be true. 2009 Porsche Boxster Base Convertible Glove Box Handle. Gray - 997552362015V7 | Byers Porsche Parts, Columbus OH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don,

My guess is that the handle is not your problem; so I'd recommend you not order one just yet.

Attached are two easy items:

My link to RennList parts lists has failed, and the link to Porsche NA isn't showing pictures anymore. Let me see if I can relocate the info on the web, if not I'll copy the relevant info and send to you via here ior e-mail. I'm pressed for time right now, I'll run down the info for you tomorrow.

Joe Henley

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don,

I tracked down the Porsche parts list at:
... go part way down the page and you can select model and year. That gives you a large pdf file; the glove box info is at about page 350-360.

The service manual info -- I can't find it on line anymore. I copied the relevant section, it's about 1.2 MB. I'll try to attach to this note. If not, I can e-mail it to you.

Once you've looked all this stuff over, you'll see that the glove box door is an inner shell and an outer skin. The openner and locking mechanism(s) are sandwiched between the two. It's in there where the levers and springs are. It's where the pins and stops are molded into the inner shell -- and thus where wear on the plastic causes problems like you have.

In my case a pin was completely broken off. I managed to elongate a spring enough to reach a place where I could hook it. It's lasted a couple of years now, so fingers crossed. This is why I recommended you look at this stuff, and remove the gbox door skin to see what's going on in there before you purchase a replacement latch handle. From my experience (all of "once"), it'll probably be something worn out in the mechanism, not the handle. PS: ebay has lots of gbox doors for sale if yours is not repairable (McGiver-able).

OK, now to try to attach the pdf file....

Joe Henley

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, thanks MUCH! The parts diagram still gives little detail on what one might expect to find when splitting the clamshell front cover. Some people have mentioned springs flying around.. :(

AllDataDIY copied the section on the glove compartment that's in the service manual, unfortunately, it's very incomplete. From what you said the plastic mounts and such are molded into the inner shell? That means I don't have to worry about color, which makes getting an eBay one for parts much more feasible. I think I'll take it apart maybe this week since we're supposed to have a storm for a few days...

Thanks again!
Don

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don,

You're welcome. Yes, the pins and bits are molded (mostly) into the inner shell. IIRC, there are a couple of bits molded into the outside shell which "hold" some parts in place on the inner shell; but that's about all.

One use for the parts diagrams is finding where all the screws are. On my 2010 BS, the inner shell had been sprayed with some sort of flocking. It covered up several of the screw heads, making them difficult to find if you don't have a picture.

I mentioned the flying springs from experience. I'm too old to be crawling around on the car floor, looking for scattered parts in the carpeting. Black carpeting + small black parts = ugh! If I had to do it again, I'd line the foot well with an old white sheet.

Have fun this week-end.

Joe

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe - thought I'd update this. I noticed yesterday that the latch assembly on the Boxster looks identical to that on my '11 Cayenne TT. And I looked at that latch - which has what would be called "bolts" coming out from the sides of the glove-box cover that catch in recesses in the glove-box in order to hold the cover shut.

Looked at my Boxster - identical design. Then I wiggled the handle when the glove-box was open. No play at all. Everything works fine - and smoothly. I closed it - and some play was there. Lately the car has been making it's asthmatic beep at me when I lock it - meaning something is open. I suspected the glove box switch, since I knew all the other doors/lids were closed.

I firmly shut the glovebox - and not a lot of wiggle (some, but way less than before). I'm going to look where the glove box switch is located - if it's in one of the recesses the catches go into, I bet I found the cause of my wiggle. I'll update this when I figure it out.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don,

That sounds familiar. The problem I had, which led me to dis-assemble the gbox door clamshell, was that the right hand locking "bolt" (to use your description) did not extend out far enough to engage the recess. Thus the gbox door would not stay closed -- and rattled alot.

IIRC, once I opened up the clamshell, I found the root cause was a broken pin, which (no longer) held a spring, which forced the bolt out.

It sounds like your issue is the micro-switch which signals closure isn't working properly. However, it might be that the problem is similar to what mine was; the latch bolt is not being forced out far enough to fully engage the micro-switch. If you think that's a possibility, you could have some one lock you in the car while you manually activate the micro-switch.

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Joe,

Final followup - all is well, no more jiggles. After realizing how the thing worked, it seemed to me a tiny bit of lubrication might be the solution, and it was. My pinky just fits into the bolt/receiver (the recess in the side of the glovebox the latch goes into.) So.. dug out some miracle grease I've had for about 30 years (bought it when I owned sailboats, and learned just how good it is) - it's a teflon based grease. Put a tiny dab on my pinky - stuck it in the hole and smeared it around. Used the other pinky for the other side.

It now latches FIRMLY and the release handle has absolutely no play in it. I was surprised at the difference, but I guess Porsche had clearance specifications, and perhaps the hot weather has been making the plastics expand a bit so they were binding. No longer binding.

Let me walk to the garage and find the grease.. "Super-Lube" Made in Bohemia NY. USA | Distributors
Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92003-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE0OO Also at HomeDepot and lots of other places. GOOD stuff.. I'm still on the tube I bought 30 years ago - a tiny dab of it has always worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts