Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was great! The car show theme was German night and lots of BMW's and Porsches. I mostly liked the Porsches and the fine Porsche people. I parked next to a guy with a 911 Carrera that said he wanted to swap with my Cayman S (only one at the show BTW) and see how my car drives. Seems like a fair trade. His car is in the first picture.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So it was your first.

I'm a recent PCA member myself and I'm amazed how many events are within 50 miles of home. So I'm itching to get my feet wet.

But currently it's like I don't have a suit to wear to the party. I've spent the first 3 months of ownership addressing everything on the car that wasn't exactly the way it should be. Thoroughly enjoyable effort too. But I've saved the looks for last. It needs a good paint correction and a nice shine. So......... Soon. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it was your first.

I'm a recent PCA member myself and I'm amazed how many events are within 50 miles of home. So I'm itching to get my feet wet.

But currently it's like I don't have a suit to wear to the party. I've spent the first 3 months of ownership addressing everything on the car that wasn't exactly the way it should be. Thoroughly enjoyable effort too. But I've saved the looks for last. It needs a good paint correction and a nice shine. So......... Soon. :)

stakebitten, my car is not so perfect either, though it may look like it is in pictures. I personally don't think it's so much about having a perfectly paint corrected car as much as it is just hanging out and talking Porsche with Porsche people. It's pretty sweet. If your car can drive under it's own power then it is ready for a PCA car show :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
So I think you are saying that my Boxster wouldn't be turned away if it wasn't clean shaven and was just wearing crocks?

That's sounds friendly!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just in general - in my experience - the PCA members in my chapter are very friendly toward any 2 door owner. They seem a bit befuddled as to how to react to the 4 door variants.

Dunno how old all of you are (I'm old..) but if you're familiar with Arlo Guthry's "Alice's Restaurant" ballad/masacree - there is a section on it talking about the "Group W" bench, which was at the draft board center where you went to take your physical to serve in Vietnam. The "Group W" people - assigned to that bench - were people the draft-board thought might not fit well in the army. Generally, it was anyone with a criminal record or morals* charge. Anyway - Arlo went into the Group W bench/room, and was asked what he did to get in there - he said "Littering" - and everyone moved away from him. He then added "And creating a nuisance" and everyone moved back.. and they got along fine. *=A place for crazy people such as mother rapers and father stabbers. And father rapers and mother stabbers. " Urban Dictionary: Group W Bench

One of the first local events I went to - a nice older gent (possibly as old as me) came over to chat, and he introduced himself, and I introduced myself. He then asked me what Porsche I drove... and knowing a bit about the 4-door issue - I said "Cayenne Turbo" - and he moved back about 2' from me and seemed not to know what to do.. so I added "And a Boxster" - and he moved right back and we chatted away and eventually became friends.

I expect everyone here (being a 987 group) will be welcomed with open arms in the PCA. The PCA national organization (a letter I wrote to them might have influenced this) is making a real effort now to reach out and be inclusive of the 4-door owners. There is a separate monthly email newsletter just for the 4 door people. A few chapters have even organized some off-road activities for the Cayenne/Macan owners.. go figure!

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
494 Posts
Nord Stern is having the annual car show on the 27th/Roseville MN

·
Registered
24 Posts
I probably was one of the 4 door variety until moving to cny where the snow makes my 2drs kinda moot during the winter. Heck i am in line for the electric macan… lets see how that goes.
My 981 BSpyder and 991.2targa gts are keepers though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts