Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Boxster S with a manual transmission and a CDR31, and would like to add a backup camera (and Carplay, I guess). Has anyone successfully installed the Joyeauto solution specifically for the CDR31 and added a backup camera? Does the manual transmission make the install more difficult?

Everyone has good things to say about the Joyeauto for PCM, but I have yet to hear of someone installing on the CDR31. I suppose I'd rather not be the first one to try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interested in seeing this as well. I just had the CarPlay module delivered, would like to add camera functionality while I’m installing.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There are several discussions from guys that have installed the joyeauto. Just do a search using joyeauto as the keyword in the search bar at the top of the forum and they will come up for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are several discussions from guys that have installed the joyeauto. Just do a search using joyeauto as the keyword in the search bar at the top of the forum and they will come up for you
I specifically meant on CDR31

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
Sorry not CDR but adding camera to Joyeauto should be the same as I did. These are great solution for 981 to add CarPlay and reverse camera. Still all working perfectly.

·
Registered
2015 Boxster, Manual Mason & Hamlin AA
13 Posts
Interested in seeing this as well. I just had the CarPlay module delivered, would like to add camera functionality while I’m installing.
I have a 2015 Boxster with the base stereo but Bose upgrade spreakers and want to add CarPlay. Please, what module did you get and did you install it yourself? Local dealer said they don't/can't do it and suggested I contact a really expensive place here in LA. Would rather do it myself if it's possible.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
DIY install is not exactly difficult, but not exactly easy, either. I would recommend a relatively high confidence level in your own technical abilities. Here's a YouTube search that will show install in a variety of Porsche's - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joyeauto+porsche Although I don't believe there's a video for the 981, 991 would be similar and really, any of them would give you a good idea of what's involved. I have the Burmester system in my car, which means I had to move the optical cable to the new connector, which would be the same for your Bose. It wasn't difficult.

I've done a good number of car audio installs over the years, and removing the head unit from the 981 is certainly one of the easiest removals I've come across. There's lots of space and more than sufficient cable length behind the head unit, making it a snap to remove.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Boxster S with a manual transmission and a CDR31, and would like to add a backup camera (and Carplay, I guess). Has anyone successfully installed the Joyeauto solution specifically for the CDR31 and added a backup camera? Does the manual transmission make the install more difficult?

Everyone has good things to say about the Joyeauto for PCM, but I have yet to hear of someone installing on the CDR31. I suppose I'd rather not be the first one to try.
I just ordered the CDR31 unit from Joyeauto to install in my 2015 Cayman. Should have it in a week or so. I probably won't get around to install for a few weeks, but I will update once I have it complete.

For the record, install looks easier than the PCM 3.1 install. To me the most intimidating part of the install is opening up the head unit. The CDR31 install only requires taking off the head unit screen and attaching two ribbon cables (in between the existing cables), where the PCM 3.1 install involves opening up the actual metal head unit housing and adding a circuit board and some ribbon cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed it this weekend. Not a very difficult install at all. You don't truly open the head unit, just the case around it -- this is the least concerning part of the install.

However, you are forced to use the touch screen vs. using the navigation knob attached.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I mounted mine in the cavity under the carpet beneath the passenger seat. There is just enough space available in there, however, I don’t have Sirius and that may be where the Sirius receiver goes if you do have it. Also you will have to remove the passenger seat to access it. I did not have enough room to mount the unit behind the radio and would have mounted it in the footwell as my second choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently did the joyeauto install on my 981, but I'm assuming the CDR model has a similarly sized external box to the PCM version that I used.

There seemed to be no easy way to get the box in behind the factory head unit - I just had barely enough room to get the joyeauto harness in back there (the connectors are pretty bulky). Behind some of the console skeleton structure, there is space back there, but it doesn't seem very accessible without pulling out the whole center console first. Or at least it wasn't obvious to me how one would get anything placed back there.

I put the external box under the carpet in the passenger footwell. There's actually good, easily accessible space back there and some nice "cavities" to nestle in the box so there's no visible bulge to the carpet. This spot also makes it relatively easy to access if that should ever become needed (e.g. for a software update.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you by chance have any pics?

I recently did the joyeauto install on my 981, but I'm assuming the CDR model has a similarly sized external box to the PCM version that I used.

There seemed to be no easy way to get the box in behind the factory head unit - I just had barely enough room to get the joyeauto harness in back there (the connectors are pretty bulky). Behind some of the console skeleton structure, there is space back there, but it doesn't seem very accessible without pulling out the whole center console first. Or at least it wasn't obvious to me how one would get anything placed back there.

I put the external box under the carpet in the passenger footwell. There's actually good, easily accessible space back there and some nice "cavities" to nestle in the box so there's no visible bulge to the carpet. This spot also makes it relatively easy to access if that should ever become needed (e.g. for a software update.)
Do you by chance have any pics?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry - no pics. I was mostly interested in getting the unit installed as quickly as possible, so didn't take the time to snap some pics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
While I was just testing things out, I "temporarily" wedged it in between the steering column and trim panel. This is right above where my right knee would be. I had fully intended to find a better mounting spot for the mic, but it hasn't really moved since installing it and seems to work fine in this spot. It's not moving anywhere and is totally inconspicuous. I'll probably leave it there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts