Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 Cayman S with 900 miles. I was wondering what maintenance items should be done on the car. I changed the oil when I first got it and other than that haven't done anything else. The dealer said the only other thing would probably be a brake flush...What do you guys think?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you need to

A) put some miles on it!

B) post some pictures

You might also consider checking the service manual and seeing if the yearly services have been done. Most of it is inspections, though a brake flush sounds like a good idea, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to drive it. Its the most fun car I have driven. We just need to stop having severe thunderstorms around here. I will post pics tonight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just bought a 06 Cayman S with 900 miles. I was wondering what maintenance items should be done on the car. I changed the oil when I first got it and other than that haven't done anything else. The dealer said the only other thing would probably be a brake flush...What do you guys think?
Load test the battery. If it's the OME, plan on a new one shortly... Plenty of threads on that. Interstate makes one that drops right in with a vent kit. Not the giant one they suggest on their site, but another one.

Add a TPC turbo. :)

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I would check the tires also. With only 900 miles, it has been sitting a mighty long time. Tires aren't supposed to stay in service longer than 5 years without being removed from the wheel and inspected inside and out.

If you plan on driving your car the way it is capable of being driven, having the tires inspected is a good way help you and your car be happy :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I would check the tires also. With only 900 miles, it has been sitting a mighty long time. Tires aren't supposed to stay in service longer than 5 years without being removed from the wheel and inspected inside and out.

If you plan on driving your car the way it is capable of being driven, having the tires inspected is a good way help you and your car be happy :)
+ 1 on the tires, great adviice.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The dealer was spot on. The brake fluid should be changed every two(2) years even if it is not driven. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Moisture over time will generate rust in your brake system, and any type of brake job can get expensive very fast. Changing the brake fluid is cheap insurance, assuming it has been more than 2 years since the last change. I change mine every year, but it is a performance fluid that absorbs moisture even faster.

+2 on the tires

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires went slippery at about the three year mark on my '06, so I'd pay attention to any lack of grip, especially in the rear. You may notice the PSM being a little overactive if the tires have gone off.

Absolutely flush all the brake and clutch fluid (it is a shared reservoir.) There is an article here on the site about the clutch bit - it is easy if you jack up the rear of the car. A Motive power bleeder makes it pretty easy, and probably pays for itself in one use. Motive sells Ate fluid, too, so you can order it all in one shot.

Figure out your flat tire contingency plan now. If it involves the factory can of goo, you should replace it too, per the manual.

If you plan to change the exhaust, start spraying the bolts with penetrating lubricant now! (See the articles on this site.)

If you have Bose and plan to keep it intact, stuff the subwoofer, per the article on this site.

Sorry about those last ones - they aren't maintenance items, I suppose...

Congratulations on your new toy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the person changed the battery. I think it is the Interstate larger one, but it doesn't move around. The tires checked out fine on the ppi. The brake fluid I will have to change. Is there a link on the forum of how to change that? I usually do all my maintenance myself. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats! Great looking car...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Very nice car and good photos. 900 miles, wow. You know, you have a lot of catching up to do! ;)
BW

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
WOW!!! An '06 with only 900 miles on it? That's amazing!! Congrats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the Bose trick last night. It doesn't sound as loud, but definitely tighter like a sealed box which is basically what your doing when you do that. The sad thing it had 800 when I bought it and I have put 100 miles on it...lol Brake and Clutch flush are on my next list to do if I could stop from driving it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts