1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Let us know how it comes out. I'm interested in this unit, too...

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Two things:

1) This belongs in the electronics forum, I am moving it there, please try to post in the correct forum from now on.

2) Some of those kits on Ebay aren't the actual Porsche parts, but are rather a recreation of those parts and are not as nice as the real thing. You might want to make sure you are getting the actual Porsche part and not some reproduction that isn't of the same quality, fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Take some pics when you're done.

I deviated from the masses too and got a Kenwood DNX6960. It seems like EVERYONE gets the Pioneer AVIC.

I'm quite happy with my radio, amp & ebay kit.
I also got a kit from that same person on Ebay, it is a nice quality kit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heatfan5,
i also just completed my aftermarket HU installation on my 08 with sound package plus. I used the euromotorspeed kit and opted for the Kenwood 9960. The color of the bezel is tad bit off(a shade darker) but it seems i am the only one that can really tell. But it did make the installation quick and easy. What is nice about the Kenwood compared to the pioneers is that you dont have to run a speed sensor since the Kenwood uses Garmin and it does not even have the VSS wire on the HU. It was also a plus that i didn't have to run an illumination wire since the garmin settings has an auto dim feature that works with the time of day.

I will post some pic's later this week of the install.
:dance:

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heatfan5,
i also just completed my aftermarket HU installation on my 08 with sound package plus. I used the euromotorspeed kit and opted for the Kenwood 9960. The color of the bezel is tad bit off(a shade darker) but it seems i am the only one that can really tell. But it did make the installation quick and easy. What is nice about the Kenwood compared to the pioneers is that you dont have to run a speed sensor since the Kenwood uses Garmin and it does not even have the VSS wire on the HU. It was also a plus that i didn't have to run an illumination wire since the garmin settings has an auto dim feature that works with the time of day.

I will post some pic's later this week of the install.
:dance:

Rob
Did you get it to fit properly? I saw someone at 6speed who had a problem fitting that unit because of the depth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
not sure if it is deeper than the 6960 i will check the specs. It fit fine with no issues.

Rob

·
Registered
232 Posts
do you happen to have the Bose system? I really want navigation but I have Bose and really don't want to go through the trouble of wiring up a new amp. I've done it before a while back in one of my older cars, but i'm not an enthused about doing it now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
non bose sound system plus if you have bose i would just recommend telling you buying the stock pcm off ebay.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it has a CD slot, USB and SD.. u just click eject button and the screen motorizes down so you have all those options behind the screen... I bypassed it so I can play dvd movies and stuff 2

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
it has a CD slot, USB and SD.. u just click eject button and the screen motorizes down so you have all those options behind the screen... I bypassed it so I can play dvd movies and stuff 2
Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd be using the CD slot more... so I wanted fast access. I also though I'd be using the volume knob more, like I do in my daily driver, when a call comes on my cell phone I have to turn down the volume knob quickly while driving, and a knob is a lot easier to find, etc... or at least it was in my mind. But having the bluetooth integrated, when I pick up a call the volume is automatically muted, etc. So the 2 things that I thought I'd use, and was willing to sacrifice the bigger screen / cleaner look for, I'm not really using that much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the only buttons on the dash are the volume ones.. i just use the remote control it came with.. although im probably going to end up losing it like i always do

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to confirm, you have the stock speakers and had the cdr24 right? All you had to purchase was the HU and the install kit?

How difficult was the install?

Also, how/where did you run the ipod connection cable and microphone?

Sorry for the perhaps elementary questions, but I am new to forums.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am also interested in this unit, I have Bose, can anyone explain what is required because of the amp I am not a car stereo geek.. also do you have to run the gps antena to the front trunk as where the oem mounts? if so is it difficult?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You need:
double-din head unit - radio, GPS, bluetooth, etc.
double-din adapter kit from ebay
6-channel amp - recommended JL Audio XD600/6
3 pairs of RCA cables approx. 9+ feet (I used 12')
speaker wire, various connectors, splicers, etc. amplifier power kit

You will definitely need to run:
-3 pairs of RCA cables to your trunk, to where the old Bose amp was.
-new power wires (+ & -) to new amp
-satellite antenna, its magnetic and will just stick to a piece of metal underneath the plastic inside trunk near wipers/battery (very easy)

You may need to run more wires depending on which head unit you use. Some require a VSS (speed signal) to work better/properly.

I also, ran a pair of wires to the tail light to get the reverse and illumination wires. And I installed a backup camera while I was back there running wires anyway.

This is the best resource around for installation:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/28892-recent-dvd-navigation-install-avic-d3.html

You can also check out my install thread for some tips. (see my signature)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts