Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Got my 07 CS with 12k miles on it 2 weeks ago. Barely driven it. Getting insurance taken care of tomorrow.

I heard oil changes were about $150 each due to 9 quarts of synthetic needed etc.

I'm wondering what my insurance will look like tomorrow. I had an 05 G35 with 50k miles on it. Full coverage was about 100 a month. I'm 31 with a perfect record and no tickets. How much did your insurance go up compared to a normal sedan etc?

Tires? I was told by the dealership when they were trying to sell me the tire service that tires cost 800 a piece. I double checked here though and heard it was a lot less. Thank god for this site.

I'm just a bit curious being a total newb, what other major maintenance costs am I looking at compared to a standard car like a Bimmer, Infiniti or other entry luxory vehicle. I'm not worried, just curious ya know? All my friends are warning me. It wouldn't stop me but I'm bored tonight so hell, I figured I'd post up.

thanks guys! you've all been great so far.

As far as my 07' CS, I'm going to put in a Borla exhaust and maybe design 1 wheels if I can find the right price. Stock other than that I think. If I find a great spoiler, maybe that but I'm not stressing. I love this car stock so much I'm not too worried. Every day gets better with this beauty.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I just had my first scheduled maint. done with oil change $340 so not too bad, price varies quite a bit.

Can't help ya with insurance quotes....;)

Tires aren't $800 a piece, less than that for a pair PS2 rears, tons of reading here, do some searches, almost everything has been discussed, and if not it'll be answered. Check Tire Rack for tires to see for yourself, I might be hesitant to use a dealership that was trying to sell me $800 tires.

You shouldn't be up for any major costs from what I've read here with the mileage you have on it, enjoy the ride.......:cheers:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Hey all. Got my 07 CS with 12k miles on it 2 weeks ago. Barely driven it. Getting insurance taken care of tomorrow.

I heard oil changes were about $150 each due to 9 quarts of synthetic needed etc.

I'm wondering what my insurance will look like tomorrow. I had an 05 G35 with 50k miles on it. Full coverage was about 100 a month. I'm 31 with a perfect record and no tickets. How much did your insurance go up compared to a normal sedan etc?

Tires? I was told by the dealership when they were trying to sell me the tire service that tires cost 800 a piece. I double checked here though and heard it was a lot less. Thank god for this site.

I'm just a bit curious being a total newb, what other major maintenance costs am I looking at compared to a standard car like a Bimmer, Infiniti or other entry luxory vehicle. I'm not worried, just curious ya know? All my friends are warning me. It wouldn't stop me but I'm bored tonight so hell, I figured I'd post up.

thanks guys! you've all been great so far.

As far as my 07' CS, I'm going to put in a Borla exhaust and maybe design 1 wheels if I can find the right price. Stock other than that I think. If I find a great spoiler, maybe that but I'm not stressing. I love this car stock so much I'm not too worried. Every day gets better with this beauty.

Thanks everyone!
Most of us are still under warranty...

But these cars are bullet proof compared to the Mercedes and BMWs I have owned. That has been my experience. Unless you plan on pumping $20k in mods into it and doing the real race car thing. That can get expensive.

My insurance went down coming out of an SL500, but I am old, married and have lots of kids. ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
It would be nearly impossible to figure out an insurance quote without one of us having the software in front of us. It is done on a lot of factors: age, sex, credit rating, car model, past history, zip code, number of cars you own, if you own a home, amount of claims in your area and for your car model, etc, etc. You can go on just about every insurance companies website and get a quote in 10 minutes. I went from an 06 G35 sedan and my insurance only went up a very small amount for the same coverage.

800 per tire?!?!?! No way! Mich PS2's came stock on a lot of cayman's and a lot of other above average cars. They are around 300+- per wheel for 19's and there are some other options that might be just as good for 200+- per wheel. I wonder if they were trying to sell you a wheel repair/replacement package. If you damage a rim it could be pretty expensive to repair/replace. It is not uncommon to see OEM rims for 1000 each.

My annual service with oil was around $500. I think the standard oil change at my dealer is around $200.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oil changes are ~ $300 at my local dealer, considerably less if you do it yourself which I plan on doing next time.

As others have said, insurance depends on a lot of factors. I'm 53, good credit, good driving record, and live on the east coast of Florida. I'm paying $118/month total for three vehicles, a 2008 Toyota Sienna, a 2008 Lexus RX-400h, and a 2009 Porsche Carrera. The Carrera replaced a 98 Dodge Stratus, but the bump up was only $10/month.

Tires are much cheaper than $800 each. Check Tirerack for example.

As far as other expenses, no other major other than mods and upgrades. So far I've spent ~4K and counting on non required add ons.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
My dealer's service rep explained that for things like tires he doesn't get a better deal than I do from Tire Rack. Further, the company rules were that he had to mark his price up by 100%. The service department was more than happy for me to get tires I bought from Tire Rack shipped to them for installation. For a windshield replacement, same cost issue. A 911 windshield (1991 C4) cost me $350 installed about 5 years ago. From the dealer, it would have been close to $1000. Same OEM glass. Same deal for a Cayman - I checked as I have a small ding that could grow and is not repairable - $770 from a AAA affiliate and $1500 from the dealer.

For some things, you are better off with an independent or for things like oil changes, DYI if you can. You can find lots of threads here on oil changes, brake bleeding, cabin and air filter changes, brake pad replacement, etc. These are all reasonable tasks for a methodical non-mechanic (but mechanically inclined that is). If you can't or don't want to, then these threads still take the mystery out of it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I can get my independent mechanic to do the oil change for $100. Parts are $60 to $80, so for extra $20 maybe well worth it. Shop around.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
sicshift,

I have a 2007 g35x sedan and pay $250 every 6 months. I called up state farm to get a quote on a 2010 base 2.9 Cayman and was told insurance will be $300 every six months. I am 37 and have a squeaky clean drivers record like yourself. Hope this helps and congrats on the CS.

Dave-t

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oil changes are ~ $300 at my local dealer, considerably less if you do it yourself which I plan on doing next time.

As others have said, insurance depends on a lot of factors. I'm 53, good credit, good driving record, and live on the east coast of Florida. I'm paying $118/month total for three vehicles, a 2008 Toyota Sienna, a 2008 Lexus RX-400h, and a 2009 Porsche Carrera. The Carrera replaced a 98 Dodge Stratus, but the bump up was only $10/month.

Tires are much cheaper than $800 each. Check Tirerack for example.

As far as other expenses, no other major other than mods and upgrades. So far I've spent ~4K and counting on non required add ons.

Hope this helps

Who's your company?? I'm paying that for my 1 porsche to All State.:helpme:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Williams88,

I am with CaymanCabrio 118 a month for three cars that is awesome. who is your insurer??

Dave-t

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Insurance will be all over the board, based on location, age, driving record, credit record, and other variables. I pay about $300/mo for 4 vehicles and my home (valued at $300k+).

Oil changes? I diy, oil cost me right at $50 for 9 qts, but I ended up using only 8. Filter was about $11. I've since found that my Advance Auto parts can order the filter, along with the air and cabin filters.

The dealer is obviously ripping you off on tires, and I don't see why anyone would buy tires from the dealer, be it Porsche or Kia. A good independent tire shop with modern equipment will do as good or better job and for less money. Or go the Tire Rack route and they can even recommend a shop in your area.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Who's your company?? I'm paying that for my 1 porsche to All State.:helpme:
I went with Geico this time. My neighbor has Geico and recently had their Lincoln MKX repaired due to an accident and was happy with their service. I had Safeco, but the premium was 50% higher for all three vehicles.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
My Cayman S has been pretty affordable. Tires are a little expensive, around $315 for each rear, $275 for each front. I needed new rears in 25,000 miles (including 7 track days and some hard street driving, that's pretty darn good for performance tires). I needed new front pads in 25K too, around $100, installed them myself. My front tires might have another 5K miles on them. I change my own oil, costs me around $100 to do it myself.

Insurance, don't get me started. This car is ridiculously affordable to insure. I pay about $550 for 6 months to insure mine. Crazy coverage, low deductible. CT, OK driving record, 40 years old. I pay $425 to insure my VW Passat for 6 months, which is worth about $5,000.

Relatively speaking, the Porsches are not very expensive to run, when you consider that they are performance cars. My wife's Ducati motorcycle costs more to own.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Insurance is a **** shoot. It has a lot more to do with where you live, and your demographics, and driving record.

I'm single, 29, and state farm charges me $70/month for 2010 Boxster S. (I kept my old car, Mazda Protege 5 which I'm still paying $30/month, no change there)

Compared to my brother, who is 35 and married, and he pays state farm $100/month for his S4 (B7). You would think he would pay less than me, but go figure.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Williams88,

I am with CaymanCabrio 118 a month for three cars that is awesome. who is your insurer??

Dave-t
Insuring a second car can many times cause your insurance premiums to go down! If you have a low-dollar car listed as your primary transportation and your P-car as a second car, your premiums will go down.

Spoken from experience.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's been my experience that Porsche insurance rates are actually very reasonable, as Porsches have pretty good loss rates as their drivers are in general not testosterone-fueled idiots trying to prove something.

If you don't believe me, when you get your rates, ask your agent what the comparable rates would be for a Corvette, Subaru WRX or even a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
502 Posts
One thing I have noticed with everyone quoting the rates they are getting...no one has said what amount of coverage. You will have a big difference going from min coverage amount to say 100/300 and going from a deductible of 1000 vs 250.

I had a Mits 3000GT VR4 (320 HP but modded to around 350) when I was 22, living in Cali, and I think I was paying 1600 every 6 months...with a clean driving record (well clean since that speeding ticket that happened as a minor drops off when you turn 18).

I currently insure 2 cars (about to add a 3rd) with 100/300, 500 ded and I pay 840 every 6 months (1 speeding ticket from 3 years ago, 29 yrs). I know some people that sell insurance and they look at all kinds of things. A guy that lives 20 miles from you with the same stats and insuring the same car can get a different rate because of that 20 miles (your zip code can make your rate change). I used to live in downtown Atlanta and when I bought a house in the burbs my rate went up. You think it would be the other way around...

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
One thing I have noticed with everyone quoting the rates they are getting...no one has said what amount of coverage. You will have a big difference going from min coverage amount to say 100/300 and going from a deductible of 1000 vs 250.
CT, 40 years old, 1 speeding ticket, $100K/$300K coverage, $500 deductible, no deductible on glass, underinsured/uninsured $100k/300K. Cost = $550 per 6 months.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts