Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the car for two weeks today and decided to go for a midnight joy ride braving the cold just drive under the full moon (looking back on it now, this should have been my first omen). Even before I left, I was very reluctant because I had a bad feeling something was going to happen. So I was very careful not to speed, which was incredibly hard.

I am stopped at a stop light one mile and five minutes away from my house. I look in my mirror and already know she was not going to stop in time. A 20 year old girl in a Matrix ends up rear ending me. I check if she's okay and ask her to pull to the gas station to exchange information. As I approach her, she says there is no damage so there is no point in providing any information. I ask her for her driver's license, registration, and insurance and kindly explain that I would feel more comfortable exchanging information in case there is some damage. She pretends to look in her wallet and says she "lost" her driver's license and gives me her school ID. She also says it's not her car so she does not know where the registration or insurance is without bothering to check the glove compartment. This is when I slightly lose it and tell her that I don't care if it's her car or not. I go back to my car and call 911. Meanwhile, she thinks she's being smart and talks to California Highway Patrol. They also tell me that they don't see any damage and start to question me. The CHP assures the girl that she can exchange information with me and then produces her driver's license and CHP finds her registration but she still does not have proof of her insurance. CHP makes a report.

For those wondering, fortunately, there was minimal damage to my car. She only hit me between 5-10 mph but there is now an imprint of a screw head smack dab in the middle on my bumperette and a slight scratch from her license plate.

Now I need to call my insurance and claim the accident as uninsured. When I take the car to be inspected, is there anything hidden that may have happened that I should be on the lookout for? Perhaps, I can find the silver lining and make some mods at the same time?

Thanks for reading and allowing me to vent!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Glad the accident was minor but it should still be reported. In ny you need a police report if the accident is over 600$ damage. The cops don't want to fill out the paperwork. Even if you don't file one that day you have up to 10 days ( in ny) to do so. That stinks but it could have been worse. Best of luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Before you contact "your" insurance provider's claims department, advise your insurance agent of what happened and get his/her advice on the best course of action before you file a claim. Pursue hers or her parents. Get an estimate a present it to her. Even if she doesn't have insurance, give her (or her parents if she is still living at home) the opportunity to write you a check. Do

Why file a claim against yours until you have exhausted attempts to get her to pay for the damage? While it is not your fault, insurance companies do take into account all claims/incidents when determining future year's premiums.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had someone back into my Boxster years ago and left only a tiny crease in the hood. Thought it could be popped out for $50 at a local dent removal place but had the cops come anyway and exchanged info. Long story short, crease was too close to the edge of the hood, etc., and it needed to goto a "real" body shop place and the repair was a few thousand. Never know what lies under those little marks, bumps, imprints, etc.

--JK

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Get a good shop to inspect the car. Have the talk with your agent and then go after the girl that hit you. In Ohio they can take the plates off of your car if you have an accident and don't have insurance. That would be a nice wake-up call for Miss Sunshine.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
I had a paint scratch repaired on my car and it cost $600. You might need an accident report. Make her pay for it!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Guy backed into my wife's A4 with his large universal trailer hitch. Barely touched the hood. All the damage to the hood was in a 3"x6" area. His ins co's appraiser and the body shop guy agreed we needed a new hood as it was aluminum and 3 layers thick at point of contact. $2500 for an accident that you could cover with an envelope. Until you know what it costs, you don't know what it costs. There was a poster here last year who had some scrapes to his Cayman near the right side dummy intake. IIRC, $10000. It's always odd that the states treat us as if we were appraisers or body shop workers ourselves.
Glad they don't do that with medical issues. Yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"Now I need to call my insurance and claim the accident as uninsured."

The person who hit you couldn't produce proof of insurance? Did the CHP let her drive away? Something seems missing here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Now I need to call my insurance and claim the accident as uninsured."

The person who hit you couldn't produce proof of insurance? Did the CHP let her drive away? Something seems missing here.
I asked CHP if something was going to happen since she did not have insurance and they corrected me and said she did not have PROOF of insurance. So I guess that's why they let her go. Many years ago, I was in a car accident where someone hit me from behind so I hit the person in front of me. The person behind me did not have insurance and may be undocumented. I believe he was arrested and his car was impounded.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you contact "your" insurance provider's claims department, advise your insurance agent of what happened and get his/her advice on the best course of action before you file a claim. Pursue hers or her parents. Get an estimate a present it to her. Even if she doesn't have insurance, give her (or her parents if she is still living at home) the opportunity to write you a check. Do

Why file a claim against yours until you have exhausted attempts to get her to pay for the damage? While it is not your fault, insurance companies do take into account all claims/incidents when determining future year's premiums.
In my haste, I forgot to get her phone number, although I doubt she'd give me a real one since she wouldn't even give me her driver's license and bother to look for the registration.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but will be this reported to Carfax? Over the years, Carfax seems to be collecting a lot of information and details including service history. The problem is the details can still be vague and not fully explain what happened to the car. Not that I anticipate selling this car for a very very long time but now the perfect record may be tarnished.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guy backed into my wife's A4 with his large universal trailer hitch. Barely touched the hood. All the damage to the hood was in a 3"x6" area. His ins co's appraiser and the body shop guy agreed we needed a new hood as it was aluminum and 3 layers thick at point of contact. $2500 for an accident that you could cover with an envelope. Until you know what it costs, you don't know what it costs. There was a poster here last year who had some scrapes to his Cayman near the right side dummy intake. IIRC, $10000. It's always odd that the states treat us as if we were appraisers or body shop workers ourselves.
I was starting to get a little annoyed at CHP because they felt that I was overreacting and did not need to call or make a report, just exchange information with her. They had little to say when I rebutted that she was being uncooperative with me. I had to really press them to make a report and have them get and check out her information.

They also looked at my bumper and claimed there was no damage until I showed them something. No offense to any CHP here, but you're not appraisers or body shop experts so it's out of your scope of practice.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I had a paint scratch repaired on my car and it cost $600. You might need an accident report. Make her pay for it!
+1, she at least needs to be accountable for her actions, rather than just dismissing the incident as superficial. She didn't even show remorse. Of course, she didn't evern own the car she was driving nor did she have the revelant papers. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I'm the one referred to in the above post and your circumstances are fairly similar. I was also hit by a driver who was not the owner of the car. A few notes:

1. Although my damage was on the side and quite noticeable, it was ONLY a 15-20mph impact and no way did I predict $11K in damage. The body shop performed a laser check on ~ 20 points on the car's body to determine any frame misalignment. There were several points that were several mm's off. You can't always tell damage through visual inspection.
2. The CHP doesn't care very much. They just write down the logistics (where, how, speed, direction, etc.) and ask if there were any witnesses. In my case, the report failed to mention several things indicating probable at-fault (too lengthy to explain) which resulted in insurance co.'s not being able to determine fault (claim pending for 4 mths., no resolution yet).
3. Carfax: My insurance co. sent me a DMV report form to fill-out. This is how Carfax finds out. I filled it in a drawer. Hopefully will not have to notify DMV. I'll probably check my Carfax sometime in the next year to find out for sure.
4. In my case, my insurance co. filed a claim against the owner/policy holder of the vehicle, not the driver at the time of the accident. When you contact your insurance, give them the info. (driver license#, car reg., car owner, etc.). Most insurances cover any approved driver of the car, not just the policy holder. If the car is insured, they will pay, regardless of whether the driver was insured.

PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THERE IS NO DAMAGE. YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL IT IS THOROUGHLY INSPECTED BY A TRAINED TECH. WITH PROPER EQUIPMENT (I.E. A LICENSED PORSCHE BODY SHOP).

Good Luck:)

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Just because the bumper cover isn't showing any damage doesn't mean there isn't expensive damage underneath.

The crush tubes mounting the aluminum bumper support were probably crushed (that's what they're supposed to do). The bumper support itself may also be damaged. I don't know what those parts will cost to replace, but since they are Porsche parts, they won't be cheap.

Even if she didn't have insurance, the owner of the car should be insured. Otherwise, time to press charges and maybe even find a lawyer for civil action.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Must be the moon . . . driving past a dealer today and this was sitting in front . . .

Glad you were no injured and damage was minimal. I'd have been most irritated with her complacent and smart aleck attitude.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agreed, go after her before you file with your company.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was starting to get a little annoyed at CHP because they felt that I was overreacting and did not need to call or make a report, just exchange information with her. They had little to say when I rebutted that she was being uncooperative with me. I had to really press them to make a report and have them get and check out her information.

They also looked at my bumper and claimed there was no damage until I showed them something. No offense to any CHP here, but you're not appraisers or body shop experts so it's out of your scope of practice.
I have found lately with the budget crunch in California that many CHP guys are more interested in giving out tickets for missing front license plate than doing their real job. They'll avoid any real paper work like the plague unless they are giving out a ticket.

They see you driving a nice car and immediately they assume you can afford to pay for whatever damage yourself and try to talk you into not filing a report.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Cut the CHP some slack. I have friends that are CHP officers. Their job is not the easiest and "minor" fender benders are not high on their priority list. Especially with all the bad weather, bad roads and bad drivers they have had to deal with lately. Be thankful that they had time to take your accident report.

So, get a copy of their report. It should have the girl's telephone number on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
any of these cars will cost you a small fortune to fix or repair. no matter what the amount of damage. i had two doors swiped by a truck on my e320 and it cost $10,000 to replace and repaint. my neighbour who has a boxster as well had an incident at a local grocery store after which his bumper needed to be replaced.... $4000 later. fortunately he found the lady who hit him ( and who didn't stick around ) and she paid the freight. get the bumper fixed properly and go after the girl to pay for it. good luck with it all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts