Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned with the weight of the snow denting in the panels?
Not much I can do about it now anyway.....looks like it's snowed in until spring.

IMG_0676.jpg IMG_0677.jpg IMG_0678.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Should I be concerned with the weight of the snow denting in the panels?
Not much I can do about it now anyway.....looks like it's snowed in until spring.

View attachment 55717 View attachment 55718 View attachment 55719
Worse case scenario, your Cayman becomes a Boxster ;) Living where I do, I have never seen snow like that. Really hope everything turns out well and that it looks perfect once the snow melts. Please keep us updated once you get it out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess this is what happens if you get 5 feet of snow in three weeks.
the panels are not all that strong and can dent with modest pressure applied away from anchor points. Such is the trade off when trying to shave off as much extra weight as possible. It may be unlikely to dent under the weight of the snow as the pressure applied by the weight would be mostly distributed uniformly across the panels.
let us know how it turns out in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

And its snowing again and again on the weekend. You guys are getting clobbered. :(

Personally, I would not be so worried about the weight. I know people shovel snow off house roofs. So it would make sense to get heavy, wet snow off the car when you can. But I wouldn't panic over it. I'd just do it when I could. I'd be more worried about falling snow from trees and high structures, like this story up in MA

Snow Falling From Roof Crushes Cars In Charlestown « CBS Boston

Now your car cover is different. Picture 3 shows wet. It depends upon your temperatures and how often the wet thaws and refreezes. If you are constantly below freezing, and then the sun melts some snow during the day, and refreezes at night, then I can't see how that can be good. I have seen car covers freeze to the paint surface. Sure, they melt but off comes some fabric. Its something you might not want to see. Constant freezing and rethawing material of any kind to the paint can't be good for it.

I also don't know how long you had the car sitting there, in low temperatures. You got to be running -3 or -4 at night and teens during the day? I hope you got a battery tender running to that car under all that snow, or dig it out and run it now, because if not, you know that battery is going to die in those temps if it sits too long. Just do a search here on dead batteries. There are many threads.

Good luck

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Wow. I would not worry about that amount of snow though damaging your car. The pounds per square inch is not that much.

but dude.....time to get a garage! :cheers:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sigh... I just sat in my car (in the garage) for a half hour playing the stereo.
I was driving it up until the blizzard, but, you know, historical/hysterical all time highs.
There's actually no way to even see around the snow banks.
I take back all the stuff I said about wimps who won't drive their Porsche's in the winter.

I even had to buy a battery tender.......jeesh...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight of the snow on the car. However, you might want to remove the snow if you can find some place to put it! As mentioned above, you might want to consider a battery tender or get out and run the car for a half an hour every couple of days.

I lived in CT for 20 years and remember one year we had so much snow I couldn't get the car out of the garage because I had no place to put the snow in my driveway! The town had to come by with a back hoe and dump truck just to clear the road. I think the mounds of snow finally disappeared some time in April.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, despite the weight I figure the lbs/sq.ft is probably fairly low, at least I hope so.

:eek::eek::eek:

And its snowing again and again on the weekend. You guys are getting clobbered. :(

Personally, I would not be so worried about the weight. I know people shovel snow off house roofs. So it would make sense to get heavy, wet snow off the car when you can. But I wouldn't panic over it. I'd just do it when I could. I'd be more worried about falling snow from trees and high structures, like this story up in MA

Snow Falling From Roof Crushes Cars In Charlestown « CBS Boston

Now your car cover is different. Picture 3 shows wet. It depends upon your temperatures and how often the wet thaws and refreezes. If you are constantly below freezing, and then the sun melts some snow during the day, and refreezes at night, then I can't see how that can be good. I have seen car covers freeze to the paint surface. Sure, they melt but off comes some fabric. Its something you might not want to see. Constant freezing and rethawing material of any kind to the paint can't be good for it.

I also don't know how long you had the car sitting there, in low temperatures. You got to be running -3 or -4 at night and teens during the day? I hope you got a battery tender running to that car under all that snow, or dig it out and run it now, because if not, you know that battery is going to die in those temps if it sits too long. Just do a search here on dead batteries. There are many threads.

Good luck
I've been trying to keep up with it, just taking some off the roof and hood.
I haven't checked under the cover to see if its wet or not, maybe if I leave it covered with enough snow it will insulate it from the sun a bit and keep a steady temperature underneath.

Good point about the battery, hadn't thought about that. I drove it last two weeks ago, will have to dig out and put the battery tender on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I haven't checked under the cover to see if its wet or not, maybe if I leave it covered with enough snow it will insulate it from the sun a bit and keep a steady temperature underneath.

Good point about the battery, hadn't thought about that. I drove it last two weeks ago, will have to dig out and put the battery tender on it.
With your outside temps, I'd would do just that, leave a "small" cover of snow, until you get a good thawing day. Then remove the cover and leave it off as the temps move up and down around freezing while everything is wet. Freezing anything to paint just doesn't seem like a good idea. The snow won't harm anything. Of course, salt will.

I would definitely get a tender on that car. There are many threads here on dead batteries. Two weeks with your zero degrees temps is just not good for any car battery.

good luck :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Just make sure the neighborhood kids don't start using that mound as a toboggan run.:eek:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Don't sit on the front fender of these cars. My detailer found a crease on mine, from what he imagines was someone sitting on it while having their picture taken. I didn't catch it, but now that it was pointed out, I notice it. So in answer, the panels are not that strong. But I doubt snow will do that as the pressure applied is over a larger spread.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I couldn't live like that.

Reactions: Noah Fect

·
Registered
457 Posts
...I lived in CT for 20 years and remember one year we had so much snow I couldn't get the car out of the garage because I had no place to put the snow in my driveway! The town had to come by with a back hoe and dump truck just to clear the road. I think the mounds of snow finally disappeared some time in April.
I am a few towns away from the OP...and opened the garage for the Porsche to take a look...she decided to stay inside ;)

Garage_Cayman.JPG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whoa! You may already have damage.. get it off now and away from the snow plow lane! Figure 20 lbs per cubic foot and maybe double, if it is wet or compacted by the plow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa! You may already have damage.. get it off now and away from the snow plow lane! Figure 20 lbs per cubic foot and maybe double, if it is wet or compacted by the plow!
It's on a driveway, no snow from a plow, it's all fairly light still and not compacted.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts