Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have the Techart steering wheel installed by Weissach Vancouver today. This steering wheel has been on my wish list since day 1 I owned the car. You won't believe how much more fun I have driving my Cayman now.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Very nice, I wish Gen II steering wheel was a little thicker like that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice . . . is that the original stock airbag cover?
Yes. It's my original airbag and cover. I have to do a core exchange though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the same steering wheel and love it. I bought it for my 06 CS and transferred it to my 09 CS. Infinitely better than stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks like my sterring wheel on my 09 M3. I love the thicker wheel. My 06 CS wheel feels like I am holding a stick.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
That's the best looking aftermarket wheel I've seen. How much did it cost, start to finish?

I have the XPA thick sport wheel, which I love. It's not as thick as this one, but much better than the thin standard wheel. I paid through the nose for the XPA, but I'm happy I did.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
There are a few of us on here with the TechArt wheel. It is much thicker, especially in the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock positions.

I got mine from Sharkwerks. The wheel in Sept '09 was $2200, and the purchaser had to give a core exchange. Otherwise it is $600 more. To get it in colors other than black, add $200.

Expensive little puppies.

Great pics of berty987's Techart wheel here.
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...pa-sports-steering-wheel-part.html#post402127

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
There are a few of us on here with the TechArt wheel. It is much thicker, especially in the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock positions.

I got mine from Sharkwerks. The wheel in Sept '09 was $2200, and the purchaser had to give a core exchange. Otherwise it is $600 more. To get it in colors other than black, add $200.

Expensive little puppies.
Woah..... :eek: Suddenly the XPA at $1,050 seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the best looking aftermarket wheel I've seen. How much did it cost, start to finish?

I have the XPA thick sport wheel, which I love. It's not as thick as this one, but much better than the thin standard wheel. I paid through the nose for the XPA, but I'm happy I did.
I paid $1900 CAD including tax and installation. This steering wheel has been sitting in Weissach's showroom for long time. I guess they just want to show something to tell people that they are Techart dealer.

I love the XPA wheel too but I don't have the round airbag. It will cost me more here in Canada to get the XPA.

·
Registered
529 Posts
FWIW I did the XPA/airbag swap about six months after getting my CS and I'm still glad I did.

I also learned you have to be really careful about choosing options as it cost me around 2x what it would have cost me if I had checked XPA on the options sheet…

·
Registered
30 Posts
These TECHART wheels are brilliantly engineered, but I actually took mine off and went back to stock - why?

I found that it was just a little too chunky for me (a personal preference thing I suppose), but most importantly some of the "feel" of the front wheels on the road was definitely lost - and this is not surprising given that the stock wheel is so thin and hard and the TECHART wheel is so big and chunky. If you are a nut for handling and "feel" as I am, then I would definitely suggest making every effort to try driving with a TECHART wheel before you go out and buy one, as it was not for me..

Contrary to many of the views in this thread (and others like it) I am now enjoying my driving much better again with the stock wheel - rather than TECHART (though believe there is probably a good balance in there somewhere for the Gen 1 owners..)

·
Registered
732 Posts

**** I have the XPA too. Agree it is a bit too thin but I've found that wearing driving gloves is a help. The XPA gives you a little extra leg room for entry & exit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These TECHART wheels are brilliantly engineered, but I actually took mine off and went back to stock - why?

I found that it was just a little too chunky for me (a personal preference thing I suppose), but most importantly some of the "feel" of the front wheels on the road was definitely lost - and this is not surprising given that the stock wheel is so thin and hard and the TECHART wheel is so big and chunky. If you are a nut for handling and "feel" as I am, then I would definitely suggest making every effort to try driving with a TECHART wheel before you go out and buy one, as it was not for me..

Contrary to many of the views in this thread (and others like it) I am now enjoying my driving much better again with the stock wheel - rather than TECHART (though believe there is probably a good balance in there somewhere for the Gen 1 owners..)
Briscayman,

After driving my cayman with the Techart steering wheel for a week, I do agree with you that some of the feel of the front wheels was lost. But the thicker and better leather quality wheel gives me a different type of enjoyment, so I am still happy :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts