Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought It would be a good idea to start a new thread on this topic.

The CaymanSpec thread is quite interesting, however those who expressed interest in putting a cage in their non "s" Caymans (Caymen?) and going out racing is continually met with cries of dissent, from a bunch of guys who want to sink $1000's into their CaymanS's

It seems to me that the series could benefit by having two classes.
One class would be the CaymanSpec class based on the "S" with all the mods that the deep pocket crew have agreed on and are arguing for.
And the other would be the non "s" cayman with extremely limited mods.

I understand that in stock mode the car is, as suggested in the caymanSpec thread, limited as a race car. But as someone who has spent years racing Karts and motorcyles,I have found that limitations make the series. I have seen more people having fun on 8hp 50cc motorcycles, than in any class of racing ever.

I digress.

I took my Cayman out on a POC trackday and it was fun, with stock tires and OEM pads I was eating up a few older race prepped 911's.

A couple of hard laps led to my brake pedal hitting the floor after a hard late braking attempt.. Yes limitations. The skinny dot tires gave up way to soon... more limitations.. Did I have fun? yes? would I like to race it in the trim yes.

Does anyone else? Probably!

Could this class race on the track at the same time as CaymanSpec or spec Boxster? Why not?.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Rubberman,

Thank you for starting a new thread. While not really CaymanSpec related, I do see why you posted it here.

The reason I say it is not CaymanSpec related is that nothing is stopping you from racing the Cayman in stock form (save safety and tires) in any number of race classes or series, including the POC.

CaymanSpec, as of today, is one specific race class (again, not series) for people who want to race the Cayman S to a common and limited, albeit reasonable well developed, specification. Yes, it is a somewhat expensive build, but is set up to be a higher rung on the class ladder, up from 944 Spec and Boxster Spec.

The 2.7 Cayman can time trial and wheel to wheel race as it sits, with just a roll bar and DOT-R tires (pure street tires are not appropriate for racing). For POC, the base Cayman with DOT-R tires is placed in TT class JI and race class R7, where it would be very competitive in my opinion.

You are also welcome to race the 2.7 in CSR, as the rules are written as a max spec. Although I suspect the car will not be very competitive.

If you are serious about developing a spec around the 2.7 then we can certainly work that into the rules discussion for next year (CaymanSpec Lights?). If there is interest we certainly do not mind adding the component.

That said, most of the folks we spoke with while developing the spec want the class to be developed around the S. Building a racing Cayman is a much more expensive proposition (even with the 2.7) than a Boxster Spec and the competitors expect a step up in performance.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply..
If this thread picks up momentum we can talk about a sister class or a whole new deal.
When I ran the trackday with the POC they lumped me in with the S's! (L3 I believe) so I never returned.. it was pointless trying to compete.

I will research what you are saying perhaps they have now revised the classes.

I think if you caymanSpec guys allowed the upgrading of brakes, we could allow upgrading 2.7 brakes to "s" rotors and calipers if they fit also of course a similar spec tire..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts