Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, I've been lurking on the forum for a while. Just sold my 135i recently and have been half way looking for a Cayman S. Here is my predicament....

I leave for a deployment in Iraq in early January, I was planning to buy an 07/08 CS when I returned from my Iraq trip in Sept 09. I'm located in Hawaii, so I'm limited in my selection, and shipping a vehicle here is not ideal ( my 1 month old 135i sustained $5k damage getting shipped here). My top choice was a gray or silver CS. However, yesterday more or less for fun, i went and checked out an EXTREMELY CLEAN Guards Red 07 Cayman S manual with CHRONO, PASM, 19" Carrera wheels and embroidered seats with only 4500 miles for $40,000. The guy is hurting financially and ready to sell it back to dealership and I'm pretty sure he'll knock off an additional $1-2k. Is this a steal? I am back and forth on my decision about what to do....I need help making a decision!

Feedback is much appreciated!

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is my first post, I've been lurking on the forum for a while. Just sold my 135i recently and have been half way looking for a Cayman S. Here is my predicament....

I leave for a deployment in Iraq in early January, I was planning to buy an 07/08 CS when I returned from my Iraq trip in Sept 09. I'm located in Hawaii, so I'm limited in my selection, and shipping a vehicle here is not ideal ( my 1 month old 135i sustained $5k damage getting shipped here). My top choice was a gray or silver CS. However, yesterday more or less for fun, i went and checked out an EXTREMELY CLEAN Guards Red 07 Cayman S manual with CHRONO, PASM, 19" Carrera wheels and embroidered seats with only 4500 miles for $40,000. The guy is hurting financially and ready to sell it back to dealership and I'm pretty sure he'll knock off an additional $1-2k. Is this a steal? I am back and forth on my decision about what to do....I need help making a decision!

Feedback is much appreciated!
I don't know Hawaii pricing but the car sounds like it has good options and no miles...What color interior? Beige???

Run over & get it...

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
$40k sounds a bit high in this market. I'd want at least another $2k off. But if it you like it go for it.

Keep your head down!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it's a good deal, nice options. When I was looking I wanted white and found this guards red, no regret, I love it... I thought I would never say that but I'm a huge fan of red now. Put some color in your life!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
...yesterday...i went and checked out an EXTREMELY CLEAN Guards Red 07 Cayman S manual with CHRONO, PASM, 19" Carrera wheels and embroidered seats with only 4500 miles for $40,000. The guy is hurting financially and ready to sell it back to dealership and I'm pretty sure he'll knock off an additional $1-2k. Is this a steal? I am back and forth on my decision about what to do....I need help making a decision!
If the car is as you describe, $38-$39K should be a very good price, near steal. If you really want it, offer $37-38K. If you only want it due to the low price/situation but are willing to miss out, or would really prefer to wait for re-deployment back to the states, make a lower offer and you might still get it. If you don't want that particular car, or would rather wait til you return, then pass. HTH. Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after some thinking and some encouragement from the wife, I may offer the guy 36-37k and see what he says. I really anticipate it being difficult for me being able to find a car this clean on the island, 10 months from now. Otherwise I'll have to fly stateside, find car, ship it back, therefor spending more $$ (offsetting the $ i would save by over 10 months of depreciation) and risking damage to the car. Also, having the car before I go to Iraq, I will spend my time between flying picking out mods for the car! Now I just gotta find out about the warranty, additional options and make him an offer!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good luck on the Cayman. My previous vehicle was a 2007 335i coupe, JB3 Map 3 and DCI - It was a great car but I am very happy with my new Cayman.

One thing you will appreciate with the Cayman is the exceptional MPG. If memory serves, the last last time I was on Maui gas was around $6.00 per gallon. Also, my insurance is about the same as the BMW.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
One thing is certain, you won't regret the colour! Guards Red is a good colour for any sports car, but is perfect for the CS and stands out that little more from the crowd.....it will certainly go down well with the boys back on base :cheers:

I have all of the options you mention and Chrono, PASM, 19" and the Short Shifter are some of the best options to have IMO.

Picking a Porsche is very much an emotional ride, and unlike any other car I've bought, so whilst keeping your emotions in control you also have to go with your gut at the same time, that's just the way it's meant to be ;)

·
Kestrel Racing
578 Posts
Grab it...

...an EXTREMELY CLEAN Guards Red 07 Cayman S manual with CHRONO, PASM, 19" Carrera wheels and embroidered seats with only 4500 miles for $40,000...
This one would probably be gone if it was in my area, because I would have bought it! :) PASM is an extremely hard to find option, and with only 4,500 miles, this car is practically brand new. Sure, I'd offer $38k just to see if he'd bite, but I wouldn't walk away from this one at $40k.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Grab it...

Nice choice! I am nearing the end of my 135 and thinking about a few options, the Cayman among them. The JB3 is an awesome system for that car, I will really miss the power.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I would guess that that's a good price for Hawaii. I say go for it, and don't let the last $1K drive you crazy.

Also, thanks for what you do, and stay safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't gotten around to making the offer yet, thinking about offering $36k and hoping he'll meet me in the middle. I've been reading the forums on what to look for in the car. Any last minute pointers? Prolly gonna get an inspection at the Dealership.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Run don't walk to him with the cash... I wanted a red car ended up with White / Blue...after a few miles it could be PRIMER and you will not care...:hilarious:

I think that is a steal if it is as nice as you say...:cheers:

Now go get that car; and oh yea...:picsplz:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
That's a great deal! I just switched from a 335i (Vishnu tuned) to the Cayman S. With PASM it will seem like light years better handling than the 135i. Hard to believe, but true. The interior is less "luxurious", but who cares...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow! That was like real time negotiating on Twitter! Exciting! Seems to be a great price!

Good luck! Hope the car checks out fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carfax all good, warranty has 16 months left, final check over tomorrow, my bank isn't local, so hopefully she'll be all mine by friday! pics to come tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts