Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a GTS when the news of the GT4 came by. I am not a fan of convertibles and was dead set on a cayman in one of its versions.When the Gt4 came by After an initial enthusiasm I realised its a car built for a specific purpose ...Track ...which i don't intend to.Though the car is a massive bargain for its price ,with the wait list and possible premium to secure one I let it go and was about to order a GTS next week when the Spyder was announced.I am going through the same feelings and the spyder seems to be a little more friendly as a daily driver.But its a convertible or whatever you call it.By the time i spec my GTS i am touching 85k.I am just not able to justify to spend appr the same money on an inferior product [compared to the spyder].Am i wrong in my thinking? Just wanted some input from the pro's.

This will be my first porsche and I preferred the cayman S over the 911 s [drive wise]The cayman S just felt more go kart like comparatively.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Stay away from that GTS. You'll become the butt of every joke at your local cars and coffee, or PCA club meet, when everyone realizes you got duped into buying old Porsche technology, especially that crappy 3.4L NA engine pumping out a measly 340HP, when you could have waited a little and paid a little extra for a mid-engined Porsche with a real 3.8L engine in it!
Don't become a sucker! No one will ever notice you or your car, and if so, dismiss it in a second once they realize you're not running the latest, fastest, most powerful configuration available. A 2009 Cayman S is a much better deal, and it's a classic shape to boot. It would make an excellent first Porsche, especially as you realize what you really want is a late 60s or early 70s long nose 911 which will bring you instant recognition from Porsche people, and it can be had for about the same amount of money as you'll spend on one of those silly modren Porches with the water in the engine...
jk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Search your soul...make a decision...stick with it.

The real fact will be that you likely will not be able to get a GT4 or Spyder anytime soon based on supply/demand.

But don't buy the GTS to 'settle' based on a price point. You are around $90 large for a car! whether it ends up being $85 or $95 is not much of an issue at this level. Get the car you want because it is the best fit for you...get it...enjoy it...then don't beat yourself up by wishing for something else.
Sounds like you are judging cars based on price points and specs. That only goes so far - go after what moves you.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You are not going to get a Spyder for 85K and how does the Spyder makes a better daily driver? You have to leave the cabin to raise and lower the roof, that would make it a horrible car for a place like Colorado where you can't predict the weather. It comes in manual only, not a good daily for traffic. If you are not a convertible guy, don't force yourself to be, you'll be miserable for it. The GT4 will be fine as a daily driver, the 991 GT3 is already one, with it's softer suspension, PDK, and optional lift kit. If you can afford and can get an allocation, get the GT4 if not don't think you'll have an ounce of regret if you get the GTS, it's a fine daily driver and great for track days as well.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I wish the GTS were available with the 3.8L but as it stands, I'm sure that if I were ordering today, I'd still order the exact same car.

As for buying an "inferior" car for the same money? It's not inferior. It's just different. I mean... my car cost more than a Carrera. Is mine inferior? I'd say that the Carrera at the same price is inferior as it would be missing a lot of the options I want.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Isolate or compartmentalize your decisions - it's easier that way. I would first decide between a convertible or a hard top. Focus on that decision - it's two totally different experiences and "lifestyles". Drive both - one with the top down/up of course in open road and in traffic. Once you make that decison then your other decisions are easier 1. Do you want a Spyder with an unsual top but more HP or a BGTS. 2. Do you want track focused GT4 or Cayman GTS. Big fin or more discrete? More HP or less? Track or non track car?

The kicker is that you will LOVE any of them!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Stay away from that GTS. You'll become the butt of every joke at your local cars and coffee, or PCA club meet, when everyone realizes you got duped into buying old Porsche technology, especially that crappy 3.4L NA engine pumping out a measly 340HP, when you could have waited a little and paid a little extra for a mid-engined Porsche with a real 3.8L engine in it!
Don't become a sucker! No one will ever notice you or your car, and if so, dismiss it in a second once they realize you're not running the latest, fastest, most powerful configuration available. A 2009 Cayman S is a much better deal, and it's a classic shape to boot. It would make an excellent first Porsche, especially as you realize what you really want is a late 60s or early 70s long nose 911 which will bring you instant recognition from Porsche people, and it can be had for about the same amount of money as you'll spend on one of those silly modren Porches with the water in the engine...
jk
Funny Phil!

When I went from the R8's and 991 Turbo S to the CGTS, I thought I'd get alot of ribbing. I've gotten just the opposite! One fellow I know whose car has won national championships in its class, told me that he was happy that I got rid of those "old man" cars and got myself what he considers the best car Porsche makes (the Cayman).

As far as the OP's question, you simply have to decide whether you are a convertible guy. The only way you would be unhappy with a CGTS is in the "mental bragging rights", because what you can do on the street in a CGTS and a Boxster Spyder from a performance perspective is exactly the same.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Not only that, but the new 981.2 turbos will be faster and more powerful than those old GTS cars for about the same money.

Old technology is just so .... old. ;):eek: Ewww ... why would anyone buy old stuff :confused:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you're not a fan of convertibles, why would you consider buying a convertible? The drop top on the new Spyder is much more user friendly than the 987 Spyder, but it's still manual rather than fully automatic.

Base, S, or GTS 981s aren't inferior to the GT4 or Spyder...they are configured and optimized for drivers who have different needs. If you've never owned a Porsche before, a Cayman GTS is pretty fine entry point into the brand experience. Unless you own a 918, there is always a faster, more powerful Porsche available just one notch higher on the price and exclusivity ladder.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
If you are not going to track the car, save your money. I started with a base Cayman, and told myself that when my driving capabilities surpassed those of the car, I would upgrade. I rarely get the opportunity to fully exercise even the base car, and would feel a little foolish puttering around on public roads with a GT4. The base car is THAT GOOD right out of the box. If money is no object, then go ahead and get the latest and greatest, if that is what makes you happy. I grin like a Cheshire Cat knowing that I got all that this car has to offer for $60,xxx (OTD). I ordered mine from the factory and have it configured exactly the way I want it.
The best news is that whichever one you pick, it is going to be awesome. It's a no lose situation. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
This thread is very amusing. Stop listening to everyone's advise and way all the options of each model that best suits your needs. They are ALL fun cars to drive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the views. Infact I am surprised at how quick everyone was replying to my query.Looking back,I must admit "inferior" might have been a wrong word.I was pointing to the larger 3.8 in the spider/GT4.It would have been great if Porsche allowed us to have the GTS with the larger engine with the larger engine.The fact is that I don't think I will ever need /nor be able to aquire the GT4.I do not track,never had..don't plan to.I have never tried a convertible either .I have never driven with my windows down ever.I like m cars very clean and I can't imagine driving a car with the top down.So i guess basically I am a hardtop guy.I haven't driven the GTS but drove a CS with sport suspension and I walked out of the car with the biggest smile of my life.I had a 135is 6MT then and the 6MT on cayman S was sublime comparatively. My experience with the stick shift in a Turbo charged car was not enjoyable.I don't really care about the image thing or what others think about my cars.There are very few things that bring me joy and my cars /driving are the first on that list.

Jeez ,insider...ease on that sarcasm will ya.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not intent to track my car so GT4 was out.... however, I had a similar internal debate as OP (base, S, or GTS) I was leaning towards the base with some options but those options made the price between base and S not very significant. I was at 70k MSRP with the S and then I was like well heck I am so close to GTS prices maybe I should just get a stripped GTS. Long story short the Discount available on the S was much larger than the GTS which made the difference in price between the two much greater. I picked only the options I felt I really had to have since options really drive up the cost on these cars.

First determine how much you are willing to spend then the choice is quite easy.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Drive a broken in GTS and you will also have a big smile on your face.

Thanks for all the views. Infact I am surprised at how quick everyone was replying to my query.Looking back,I must admit "inferior" might have been a wrong word.I was pointing to the larger 3.8 in the spider/GT4.It would have been great if Porsche allowed us to have the GTS with the larger engine with the larger engine.The fact is that I don't think I will ever need /nor be able to aquire the GT4.I do not track,never had..don't plan to.I have never tried a convertible either .I have never driven with my windows down ever.I like m cars very clean and I can't imagine driving a car with the top down.So i guess basically I am a hardtop guy.I haven't driven the GTS but drove a CS with sport suspension and I walked out of the car with the biggest smile of my life.I had a 135is 6MT then and the 6MT on cayman S was sublime comparatively. My experience with the stick shift in a Turbo charged car was not enjoyable.I don't really care about the image thing or what others think about my cars.There are very few things that bring me joy and my cars /driving are the first on that list.

Jeez ,insider...ease on that sarcasm will ya.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not only that, but the new 981.2 turbos will be faster and more powerful than those old GTS cars for about the same money.

Old technology is just so .... old. ;):eek: Ewww ... why would anyone buy old stuff :confused:
First, until the turbo cars get to the USA, the advertised HP may change. The early 400 HP has already been downgraded to 395HP on some websites and who knows how much further Porsche/(Apple!) will reduce Boxster/Cayman power if they decide to put the engine in a 991 successor?

My fear is that when the turbo 4 cylinder engines come out for real, Porsche will make it very hard and/or very expensive to get a factory NA 3.8L for upgrade. That is one reason that I am getting my engine upgrade sooner rather than later.

Also, the turbo 4 cylinder tech may flow into aftermarket flat 6 turbo kits. Even with a slightly smaller engine, they are likely going to have to pack an intercooler under the car or in the engine bay. Imagine a whale tale rear hatch becoming available containing the intercooler that blocks the rearward field of view and using a rear view mirror that displays video from a rearward-facing camera to compensate! (May not be legal.) Just an idea!

Finally, and this is not directed to your post, but rather a generic response to the thread title: You can do 365 HP with a CGTS with an IPD plenum/82mm Throttle body and sport headers with equal length tubing and low restriction catalytic converters and a decent muffler. Supposedly, the Cayman GTS doesn't have a throttle closure (aka torque limiter) above 5000 RPM. Let it breathe better and it will generate more HP and without any tuning. When/if tuning is available, you might get up to 380HP, albeit at the upper RPM (as it takes displacement to get major low end torque improvements).

·
Registered
602 Posts
The CGTS is a great deal, the GT4 also. I'm told that getting a GT4 next year may be easier as all the priority buyers will have got one and there is supposed to be greater production. I would expect the ride quality would be about the same as the sports suspension on a standard car, so perfectly liveable.

The Spyder I think offers only some styling and a larger engine over the BGTS. There's no fancy suspension with the Spyder over a regular Boxster that would make this worth having - it's just the X73 Sports Suspension you can get on a regular car. It's not even that much lighter, only 11lbs according to the Porsche website. Plus a manual roof is not going to sell you on the virtues of a convertible, my old Saab had a manual latch and I rarely lowered it compared with the Boxster's fully automatic top.

Also you should never compare Porsche's at MSRP, only at the fully optioned price based on the options you want for that model. If you do that then the GTS can be a bargain compared to an S and a GT4 may not be that much of a jump up either. The Spyder however didn't take much effort to get to $100k for me vs low $90's for the GT4 - which is just crazy.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Plus a manual roof is not going to sell you on the virtues of a convertible, my old Saab had a manual latch and I rarely lowered it compared with the Boxster's fully automatic top.
I got my car in December. If the weather holds out... today might be the very first time I get to drive it in double-digit temperatures. I've got nearly 2k km's on it now.

So with that in mind... I LOVE the roof on this car. I find that with my winter jacket on, I can drive comfortably with the roof down in temperatures down to around 4 degrees C. I've got heated seats and steering wheel, which help. Now... with most of my driving in the evening while the temperatures are dropping, there's been plenty of times where I'm meandering about just enjoying myself and notice that it's starting to get a little chilly. I look down and notice it's now 2 degrees or so... and I slow down a little and hold the button... and suddenly I find I need to turn down the heat and am happily on my way. I LOVE that. It means I'm pretty much always driving with the roof down when it's possible. I don't need to find a place to pull over or anything. I don't need to plan it.

Once I have my SmartTop module in, with the one-touch roof operation, it'll be even better!

This is my first convertible. I can't imagine the experience being any better!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want to purchase my first Porsche for daily driving, and I have come to like the mid-engine design very much. After I added all the options to Cayman S, the price was almost the same as the GTS...My dealer at the time asked me to wait for Cayman S allocation, he would have it in a few weeks or so, but he also had one GTS allocation ready...So I decided to take the GTS and specd it the way I wanted, with Anthracite Brown Metallic color. I have this car for almost 2 months now, I absolutely love it without any regrets. Now Porsche can roll out GT4 GT3 or any more letter in Alphabet, I admire those cars but I will not regret my decision, at the point in time I sincerely believe my decision to buy GTS the best for what I need... Recently I've learnt that Porsche had discontinued Anthracite Brown on all models, in a sense I feel lucky to be the few last persons who have GTS a in AB...Please make a decision that is best for your budget, driving style ( tracking or not), buy the car you want and enjoy life. Don't wait for the next new model because there will always be...next year, the year after...and the year after... Get the Porsche you like, enjoy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They are ALL fun cars to drive.
LIES! My CGTS has become 64% less fun since the GT4 came out!

Jokes aside, the GTS with X73 has a major advantage over the GT4 -- much less tire (and less aggressive tire). Slidey car is slidey, even at legal speeds.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts