Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a conversation about cars, and the other person discovers you own a Porsche?

I was talking shop with a customer today, when he said somthing like Corvette-Viper-Porsche-Horse Power blah blah...ect. My ears just kinda tuned in a bit closer, and I commented yup that Z06 is a pretty sports car. Then he goes on to inform me that the '99 C2 911 he had was just too slow, and that any punk kid in a Mustang could win any red light.

My comment was yeah, I don't do much red light racing in the Cayman!
Oh how the converstion switched to him asking me about sports cars, and that the 911 he had was a salvage car that he picked up for under 20k.

All that I could tell him was that the Cayman is a joy to own & with a few trackdays under my belt it was the best choice for me.

Long story cut short...sorry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Previous to my Cayman, I owned a 430rwhp S197 Mustang (modded). It was FAST from light to light. However, that thing was unstable as hell, I was in and out of the shop at least twice a month. Not to mention the fact of how many times I had to fix the car on the side of the road, tow it, etc. That car, along with 99% of modded "sport street cars" (Mustangs, 350Zs, Evos, WRXs), are purely built for light to light racing. If you take one of those cars out for lapping through, I can assure you that they will be blowing black smoke out of their tail pipes after one or two laps.

On the other hand, Porches, along with other cars in this class, are definitely not built for light to light races. They are extremely more nimble, they are still responsive at higher speeds, and they are significantly more stable in both street and racing conditions.

As for a direct counter point to the guy to talked to, the current Mustang GT only puts out 315hp on a 3572lb curb weight, while a Cayman S does 325hp on 2976lb. Cayman S = win

One last thing too, isn't a Porsche just sexy in itself?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Over the summer I was speaking to someone at a party who purchased a C6. He mentioned that before purchasing the C6 he went to take a look at the CS. Once the salesperson showed him the oil cover and he saw how cheap it was, he walked out of the dealership (without a test drive) and went ahead and purchased a C6.

I always enjoy hearing people's opinion (good or bad) about our cars. I never told him I own a CS because at that point I lost all respect for him as his decision to go with the C6 instead of the CS was based solely on the oil cover. Personally, I think both cars are great but I can't see spending that kind of money without test driving all my options.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I was THIS close to buying an '08 C6, but when I found I could get into a CS for a couple of grand more the decision was easy... As our marketing guys say "... you've got to show them the VALUE...", and I saw/see the value of the CS over the C6 everyday.

·
Registered
164 Posts
*So one rag ranked the CS.2 as the BEST handing car !!
Another includes it on its list of the 10 best looking cars !!
Yet another has it with a faster VIR lap time than the 3.8 997S !!

Works for me

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It was fitting the fool decided to buy the Z06 & the other fool decided against the CS because of the oil cover. Honestly I wouldn't want these fools driving the same car as I.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts