Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an unused K & N air filter that I forgot to put into my Infiniti G35 - Put it in today, I thought about my CS.

In my previous cars such as a Mustang GT, the K & N's did very well with professional dyno's seeing an average of 5 hp increase. Some car show indicated 8 hp increase in a '95 Mustang GT which I had. I find that hard to believe but maybe in the older models...?

So, aside from the fact that it's a permanent, non-disposable filter which I guess is better for the environment and will save some, albeit small amount of $ in the long run, does it do anything for the Porsche?

I'm assuming Porsche already has a great air filter in there but since I'm getting an exhaust and just thinking about air intake in general, it came to my mind.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Feel free to do a search. There are plenty of discussions regarding the K&N and other aftermarket air filters.

The general consensus is that any HP gains are negligible and definitely cannot be seen on a dyno (butt or otherwise), and may have some downsides such as poorer filtering and MAF sensor fouling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed a K&N filter yesterday in my 09 Cay S, I had never been in the engine bay so I went to my Porsche mechanic( private) for help and guidance. I have K&N in several of my cars/trucks and all work well. The installation was hard and I had to assist with spare hands, my very talented mechanic. The end of the filter going to the flange was not close to the shape it needed to be and subsequently hard to get on the plastic flange intake housing. I can hear a difference in the intake noise, but haven't nailed it yet. Hope the first cleaning goes easier. K&N needs to do a better job with the filter, Porsche doesn't get any design awars to the air box either!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I use the EVOMS V Flow system which uses a lightly oiled K&N cotton filter. That work really nice and the installation is very easy. It's a bit pricey, but the black anodized venturi cools the intake air as well as provides a mount for the filter element.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gary,

I looked up their web site, that is a nice piece of goods and would save the installation headaches I had, but the price is high as you say...BUT..After my first cleaning I have the same issues I will buy one. Money well spent over the hour of aggrevation. Thanks for the info.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wailer,

Well the one I looked at was for the 987, I'm sure several people have a K&N system for the 2.7 on the 911. Try Automotion for the best price. I have a K&N for a MFI 3.2 carrera, they are great.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why is that? I have heard pros and cons on the filter, but have used one on other than Porsche cars for years, with no apparent problem. What is your experience?

Doug

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have no experience with K&N air filters - I wouldn't use them, as I said. I've read about them for years, and believe they flow marginally better while allowing more destructive particulates into the engine. Here's an objective study done by Arlen Spicer a few years ago, AFAIK he had no axe to grind, was just seeking the truth. Same with me. Your car, your call. Dave

Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better : Nissan Articles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts