Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told not to put a K&N (New) filter in my 996 because the oil on the filter will mess up my mass ari flow sensor (600 bucks to replace). I have the filter and the oil does not look like it is dripping off. Why would K&N make the filter if it causes the mass air sensor to break? Has anyone else had that problem or is it a ploy by the dealers to have their (paper) filter replaced? Please advise...thanks...Chumly

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Seems weekly Im answering this same question.
The amount of oil should be very small if its done correctly and it wont cause any problems. New filters out of the box are fine. Never had any problem after 3.5 years in the Cayman S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I thought. Get a brand new one with factory oil and l will use it for 20K miles and throw away and buy a new one! I will NOT oil it and put it back in. For 69 bucks it is all good. If it gunks up my Mass Air Flow sensor, you will be the first to know. K&N posted a guarentee that if the MAS goes tango uniform, send the MAS in and if their filter caused it, they will pay for everything! I think it pertains to people over-oiling an old one and placing it in. Thanks for all your help...I appreciate it. Respectfully, Chumly

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Bear in mid the reason for changing the filter is for a performance improvement, however to keep it such you must keep it rather clean. Say around 3K miles or when dirty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree...the stock paper one in there now has not been changed in about 5K...so you are saying change the air filter out or clean it every 3K miles? Surely that depends on pollen and dust right? Thanks for the reply...Chumly

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would not, under any circumstances put a K&N on a Porsche, or any other car, for that matter. I used to be an advocate of K&N; and I spent a significant amt of time in fleet maint for a number of years.

Reason I quite using K&N on my personal vehicles is for the very reason I was a bit wary of them to begin with... particulate matter that bypasses the media.

K&N's claims to airflow are legit; but the problem is, is they promote premature engine wear. I cannot recall the independent entity that did a study of both dry paper, and oiled-media filters just a few years ago, but it was pretty shocking. K&N did virtually the best in airflow; and the absolute worst in filtration thru their oiled cotton media.

Amazingly, the best element tested that gave the best combination of airflow and proper particulate filtration at the time of the testing:
The humble Delco paper air filter. NO kidding.

There are some good dry-media aftermarket alternatives out there worth exploring today, one I saw the other day I really liked, but I can't recall the brand; but there is no flippin' way I'd put a K&N on my Porsche.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have used K & N Filters on other vehicles (Nissans/BMWs) and replaced them after about 8k-
10k miles in normal city conditions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would not, under any circumstances put a K&N on a Porsche, or any other car, for that matter.

Reason I quite using K&N on my personal vehicles is for the very reason I was a bit wary of them to begin with... particulate matter that bypasses the media.

K&N's claims to airflow are legit; but the problem is, is they promote premature engine wear. I cannot recall the independent entity that did a study of both dry paper, and oiled-media filters just a few years ago, but it was pretty shocking. K&N did virtually the best in airflow; and the absolute worst in filtration thru their oiled cotton media.

...there is no flippin' way I'd put a K&N on my Porsche.
+1. Perhaps this was the study you were referring to:
The K&N Report - Diesel Place

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using K&N filters for about 20 years in family cars. On my third 911 with K&N
First one was an 83SC. It had 250,000 miles on it when it got totaled ! origional untouched motor and was running great! yea, read all the "reports" and "studies" yea, they make sense, Yea, I still use um. I check for any sign of dirt/dust inside my airbox when I clean
my filter...never felt/found anythingnout of the ordinary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.