Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone that has completed the K&n air filter upgrade on their cayman. How much does the cabin noise change? I am really looking to add some more induction noise into the cabin and not sure if this will do it. So for those that have done it has the induction noise changed and is it noticeable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have recently installed the BMC air filters, I would say it dosen't really change intake noise inside cabin seeing that only time I can really hear intake suction is when I open my car door but saying all this probably dosen't really matter since I also installed the FVD exhaust and dynamatted the car at the same time.

Though I would look into the BMC air filters more then K&N, the K&N are smaller filters compared to the BMC which are more in exact size as the porsche ones. Most european spec uses BMC.. and I recently found out our plastic air intakes are made in italy there has to a reason for BMC air filters are just better for it.

No MAF issues so far.
I dynamatted the doors, rear plate behind seats and trunk: only 15lbs additional weight to reduce resonance throughout the car and added a little more bass to the bose system. By the way porsche pre "dynamats" the lower half of the doors already.
Maybe dynamat reduce some of that noise - IDK..
Though being that you have cayman and is all enclosed cabin I bet you would have some additional induction noise in the cabin - what do you lose 150 to 200 dollar investment that will last the lifetime of car instead of paying porsche a few hundred every 10k for new filters. - just don't overfill the filters when you recharge them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I installed them in my cayman and didnt notice much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I think I may have written this previously but will err on passing along again. There is, over time, cost savings to be realized. As to performance (if that is one of the reasons) as others have noted, this may be minimal. In my 08 CS and Cayman R I had run the EVOMS air intake and did feel, if nothing else, a slight improvement in throttle response/sensitivity. I had considered after market filters when I got my current 981 Cayman. I contacted EVOMS and they indicated that the efficient dual air intake and extensive surface area design of the 981s led them to believe that there was not sufficient gain to be had and they were likely not going to do an intake for them. To date, that seems to still be holding true. For what it is worth.................

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, there no reason for Evoms to fix the less restrictive intake of the 981. There is still, however, improvements to be found with the BMC air filters. Depending on your other upgrades, they're supposed be worth about 3 to 5 hp. I saw some results sometime ago, somewhere, and that's what was posted. You may not get a lot of horsepower, but the engine will rev a little more freely and your downshifts will be a little bit smoother as there is less resistance to air movement through the filter. Not a huge affect on the overall flow of air, but the transient response to the change in air flow is definitely improved. Have changed the air filters on most all of my cars in the past, and the above happened each and every time on each car. Subtle differences that you soon get used to until you drive a more stock car.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well an oiled filter will possibly mess up your intake sensors. They tend to bleed oil over time...when I replaced my intake components while upgrading IPD etc, everything was sadly oily from my BMC filters...and they let in plenty of dirt too. No problems to my MAF sensor or anything though.

my BMC filters do produce more intake character noise. Sometimes you pay mind to it other times it blends into all other noises. Not sure what the value of hear ping air vacuum and hiss is though.

to be honest, probably clean paper filters is your best bet.

804 Posts
We are a distributor of BMC filters, and for those interested please PM me and I would be glad to work with you. We have seen improvements in throttle response and performance throughout the many vehicles we offer them for, and it is a great maintenance upgrade as well. They are original equipment for the Ferrari Formula 1 Team and Ferrari GT race team, as well as Porsche Motorsports, Mercedes Benz F1 and GT race teams, and the AUDI Motorsports Team.

Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman BMC F1 Replacement Air Filter - Fabspeed Motorsport

1 - 11 of 11 Posts