Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to make a PSA: DO NOT buy the K&N air filter for the 987. It does not fit. I fiddled with that stupid thing after installing my GT3 plenum for about an hour and there was no way to install it. I returned it and ordered a BMC air filter. The BMC came in and popped right into place in a matter of minutes. The build quality of the BMC is much nicer as well. Very impressed. I will be a BMC customer from now on after using K&N for years.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Or EVOMS.......I had one on my 08 CS and one on my Cayman R. Synthamax dry filter......no oiling. Just another option for you. Non of these do much for hp or torque but of the three, EVOMS might provide a tad bit more.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
generally the aftermarket filters can be a bit fiddly compared to the paper one and take a little more manoeuvring.

i like the sound of the BMC filter that gives it more induction character at lower revs and mixed with exhaust, the sound is really nice.

how is it combined with your plenum upgrade?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EVOMS is also another option. I wasn't convinced it was worth the extra money. It may be but I didn't go that route. The BMC is a perfect fit, just like stock. Its great I love it! I have the desnork, filter and 80mm GT3 plenum and throttle body from Softronics. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Uh oh, I just went round and round on this over the weekend, with all the reports from "these aftermarket filters let in grit and will ruin your engine" to "love the sound." I've installed K&N filter panels and cone intakes on my cars for about 25 years now, so I don't fear them. I don't care about power gains, I just want to enjoy the enhanced intake sound. The K&N is on sale for $58 at Suncoast, so I placed my order. See how it goes.

Oh snap, I just got cold feet after reading this thread: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/55567-k-n-air-filter-fitting-question.html

Guess its on to a dry media filter... or staying stock

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The K&N seriously is just not a quality piece. They didn't take the time to design the filter properly for this car. I have run K&N on most of my previous cars and they have been great. My advice to you is to just get the BMC and be done with it. Its a great quality filter and slips right on just like stock.

·
Conscience not included
578 Posts
This is good to know. BMC is going on the IPD plenum/82mm TB in a few days. I'll see how it is.

I hate paper air filters. Looks like a piece of garbage used to crush flies and dirt after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agraner, have you heard any difference in intake sound? The cone intake on my old Miata howled as loud as the exhaust at WOT, and the K&N on my E30 made a killer warbling whistle. If there's no difference in sound or power and the only people who unbolt the engine cover see it, I'll stay stock

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be hard for me to say because I did the GT3 plenum at the same time. From everything I have read the BMC filter does make a slight improvement in intake noise. If you're really looking for more intake noise you probably want the EVOMS

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just rehashing this..

I'm on the stock paper filter which my mech cleaned out at the last service in Dec. So come the next service this Dec, it'll be 2 years old. Mech said at time of service, it was just a little dirty but reusable.

So..... since I have to change filters and from what I've read in so many threads, if I'm not expecting any power increase and only induction noise, I'm thinking of BMC, Evoms or AFE Pro Dry S which looks just like the BMC but with sort of metal mesh on the outside. I'm gathering all are dry filters which is good. I'm staying away from K&N.

So those that have tried any of the BMC, EVOMS or AFE, are you still on them or and if not, why and what have you switched to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
BMC is oiled, so not dry. I used one for about 10000 mi until I started getting codes due to a polluted MAF. After removing and cleaning the MAF I went back to the OEM filter. Problem solved.

·
Registered
317 Posts
BMC is oiled, so not dry. I used one for about 10000 mi until I started getting codes due to a polluted MAF. After removing and cleaning the MAF I went back to the OEM filter. Problem solved.
Ahh.. ok... Thanks.. no BMC for me then.

I'm reading now that the Evoms needs some drilling for install? Don;t know if I want that too lol...

So... by process of elimination....anyone tried the AFE Pro Dry S? :)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
EVOMS does require drilling. One or maybe two small holes in the plastic airbox. Install was very simple. Can't say it made any difference beyond sound. May have changed by now but at one time the EVOMS filters were available in both wet (oiled) or dry.

As an aside everything I've ever seen on it says that cleaning a paper filter is a feel good thing. Removes the surface dirt but does nothing about the dirt lodged in the filter.

·
Registered
317 Posts
EVOMS does require drilling. One or maybe two small holes in the plastic airbox. Install was very simple. Can't say it made any difference beyond sound. May have changed by now but at one time the EVOMS filters were available in both wet (oiled) or dry.

As an aside everything I've ever seen on it says that cleaning a paper filter is a feel good thing. Removes the surface dirt but does nothing about the dirt lodged in the filter.
Thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, not doing this for power increase although I THINK one of the mods here has mentioned that dyno has shown the claimed 6 to 8 bhp increase.

Question,, the 2 holes, if you go back to original Porsche paper filter, do the 2 holes create an issue in that it allows potential "crap" in at a location which the filter can't trap?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or... for about the same cost as the Evoms V-Flow, maybe this is better?

I wonder if the claimed increase is dynoed and due solely to the intake alone or its with header and muffler change and maybe a tune?

Hmmmm.... I'm digging a hole for myself....

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I did the install about 12 years ago so I may not recall correctly. From what I remember there's not a path into the intake after the filter. Just a leak before the filter into the airbox.

There used to be a dyno test forum. Hopefully still there. A few HP sounds right. At least if that's all you do. Not sure if it's that much with other intake mods.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
All of these oiled filters are terrible. Used both K&N and BMC and had MAF CEL problems with both.
You can love the sound all you want but I'll never buy or recommend them again
Is AFE Pro Dry S actual dry ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
All of these oiled filters are terrible. Used both K&N and BMC and had MAF CEL problems with both.
You can love the sound all you want but I'll never buy or recommend them again
Is AFE Pro Dry S actual dry ?
Yes the AFE dry version is actually dry. I have been running two of them in my 981 for a few years now (981 has 2 since both intakes are functional). I remove them every 3-5K and soak them down with a special cleaning agent they sell. Looks similar to "Simple Green" cleaner if you are familiar with than name.

You wait 5 minutes and then rinse them out and let dry. I dont know about the 987, but they are direct bolt on fit to my 981 using provided fine thread bolts that go into brass threads within the filter base rather than the factory self tapping screws that go into the 981s plastic filter base

I have PSE so I hear no difference in intake noise, nor feel any difference in power. I use them simply because they are a reusable service item and will pay for themselves over time

1 - 20 of 33 Posts