Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes the AFE dry version is actually dry. I have been running two of them in my 981 for a few years now (981 has 2 since both intakes are functional). I remove them every 3-5K and soak them down with a special cleaning agent they sell. Looks similar to "Simple Green" cleaner if you are familiar with than name.

You wait 5 minutes and then rinse them out and let dry. I dont know about the 987, but they are direct bolt on fit to my 981 using provided fine thread bolts that go into brass threads within the filter base rather than the factory self tapping screws that go into the 981s plastic filter base

I have PSE so I hear no difference in intake noise, nor feel any difference in power. I use them simply because they are a reusable service item and will pay for themselves over time
Must they be cleaned every 3 to 5k? If yes, that's a sure no for me. I want as fuss free as possible.. so stock filter I guess.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Must they be cleaned every 3 to 5k? If yes, that's a sure no for me. I want as fuss free as possible.. so stock filter I guess.
There is no "must" for anything. It's like asking what is the best color paint or how long is a rope? Totally up to you. This is just common sense based on your specific needs and location, not the manufacturer of the filter or what anyone else does. One Cayman may be in Saudi Arabia driven 5K a year and another in a garage in NYC that sees only 500 miles per year, so there is no such thing as one specific regimen for everyone.

Changing my oil and cleaning my filters at least once every year or 5K is mine. They are dirty at that point (based on my standards), no differently than paper filters would be so that is part of my normal maintenance routine and I enjoy working on my car like anyone enjoys any hobby or pastime of their choice. Maybe I could go 2 years and 10K and it wouldn't matter, but who knows? I have no controlled test either way to backup my decisions.

Your post indicate that you are having others do this maintenance so far, so just follow their guidance as usual or whatever has been working for you so far. When its dirty you clean it. Its going to be more complicated if you are relying on others to do this for you though. It takes a 24hr turnaround to wash and dry or oil any aftermarket filter. A stock paper filter is an immediate drop in and done, so I'm not sure what benefit going aftermarket will have in your case since you say you dont really care about any performance gains or anything else that is claimed with aftermarket filters?

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is no "must" for anything. It's like asking what is the best color paint or how long is a rope? Totally up to you. This is just common sense based on your specific needs and location, not the manufacturer of the filter or what anyone else does. One Cayman may be in Saudi Arabia driven 5K a year and another in a garage in NYC that sees only 500 miles per year, so there is no such thing as one specific regimen for everyone.

Changing my oil and cleaning my filters at least once every year or 5K is mine. They are dirty at that point (based on my standards), no differently than paper filters would be so that is part of my normal maintenance routine and I enjoy working on my car like anyone enjoys any hobby or pastime of their choice. Maybe I could go 2 years and 10K and it wouldn't matter, but who knows? I have no controlled test either way to backup my decisions.

Your post indicate that you are having others do this maintenance so far, so just follow their guidance as usual or whatever has been working for you so far. When its dirty you clean it. Its going to be more complicated if you are relying on others to do this for you though. It takes a 24hr turnaround to wash and dry or oil any aftermarket filter. A stock paper filter is an immediate drop in and done, so I'm not sure what benefit going aftermarket will have in your case since you say you dont really care about any performance gains or anything else that is claimed with aftermarket filters?
Thanks for this. Makes sense. I'll likely staying stock. Just enquiring as part of my ongoing education.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks for this. Makes sense. I'll likely staying stock. Just enquiring as part of my ongoing education.
Yeah, personally I think it may more sense if you are doing the work yourself as they will eventually pay for themselves and its no big deal to wait for them to dry assuming you dont DD your car. A shop on the other hand might be annoyed at having to do all the extra washing and waiting vs just dropping a new paper filter in fo you. I'm assuming that would likely cost more in labor as well

·
Registered
607 Posts
I may still try the AFE dry... my next servicing is not till Dec so its a long while to go. I may go silly and try the Evoms V-flow by then as well.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Definitely do the AFE dry filter - not K&N or BMC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
the BMCs are fine.... just make sure not to over oil them...
cleaning is approx 10-15k kms or once a year - so do it with an oil change.
(depending on your driving/ambient dust/dirt)

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Only used k&n and never had good results with them a specially the way they tell you to oil them but even the out of the box problems

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My BMC caused problems before I even needed to clean and re-oil. So it came over-oiled from the factory. This thread reminded me that I still had it on a shelf in garage for about 2 yrs. I just threw it in the trash today. I thought about giving it away but didn't want to feel responsible for fouling someone else's MAF.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Sorry you had same problems but glad it wasn’t just me

·
Registered
607 Posts
I may still try the AFE dry... my next servicing is not till Dec so its a long while to go. I may go silly and try the Evoms V-flow by then.
the BMCs are fine.... just make sure not to over oil them...
cleaning is approx 10-15k kms or once a year - so do it with an oil change.
(depending on your driving/ambient dust/dirt)
Yeah.. my mech says BMC is ok as well but really doesn;t do much about from intake noise. I'll have to change my filter at the next service end of this year and at this point, I'm thinking if I do play outside of stock filters, I'll try either the AFE Pro Dry S or the Evoms V-Flow which I understand is dry as well. Leaning more towards AFE as the Evoms requires drilling 2 additional holes.... that just puts a bit of hesitation for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My BMC caused problems before I even needed to clean and re-oil. So it came over-oiled from the factory. This thread reminded me that I still had it on a shelf in garage for about 2 yrs. I just threw it in the trash today. I thought about giving it away but didn't want to feel responsible for fouling someone else's MAF.
Hmmm.. thanks for the share. I've heard of some having issues with BMC.. but not half as many faced with K&N. Yeah... if I do change to an aftermarket filter, I'll go dry.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
AFE Pro Dry sounds like worth a try; is it a better flow rate yet still protects the engine ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
An air filter is designed to keep [email protected] out of your engine. If you are willing to sacrifice that goal for some sort of “ noise,” then just do it, I can’t see any common sense nor logic in that decision. There are numerous flow studies on the web comparing automotive air filters and the aftermarket, oiled filters, all are badly rated for...filtering. All of the claims for performance increases are on a level of claims made about Marvel Mystery Oil.

its the boating equivelant of “what anchor is best?”

If you are going racing you will probably break something expensive anyway so use an old pair of boxer shorts (ahem) for a filter but for a street car?

Do the research, there is none of that here.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
AFE Pro Dry sounds like worth a try; is it a better flow rate yet still protects the engine ?
I guess you answered my question which 36 37 38 ignored. I would expect a filter made for your car would actually fit - no surprise in that was there. But fitting the space and starting assumedly without a CEL doesn't make it good or in anyway better.
I decided over 20 years ago that oiled filters were garbage and would create more problems than they are worth. I still have bottles of K&N cleaner and oil. Maybe that filter will last a lifetime but will probably be a shorter one. Was told BMC was better. I believe it is still oiled but more lightly. I have no idea about the aFe .

21 - 40 of 52 Posts