Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
According to the link the aFE filter is also oiled. Not sure what makes that a "dry" filter?

Quoted from the link:
"Constructed with 100% polyurethane on top and bottom, this high flow, oiled OE replacement performance filter will outflow stock paper filter for improved horsepower and torque. Five layers of progressively finer mesh cotton gauze media provide maximum airflow for best performance results. Washable and reusable for multiple cleaning cycles, the tall open evenly spaced pleats provide excellent dust holding capacity for longer service cycle between cleanings. Integrated urethane bump seal insures tight, no leak seal over the life of the filter."

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
thanks for clarifying wmclarenf1.

it would be interesting to know if the cotton element is different between the oiled and non oiled versions.
is the dry version also re-usable after cleaning?

·
Registered
607 Posts
From the description, it can be cleaned and is re-usable. The reuse part is not a big deal for me. My stock filter is going on 1.5 years. If the AFE does the job for 2 years even 1, that's fine.

Just a bit of cabin fever which is prompting me to look at things just to kill boredom. Lock down is lifted where you are. Stay safe and have fun. I'm itching for golf courses to open again.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the re-usable element is really just to gauge if the material is designed to be cleaned and then put back into service. I've also seen "dry" air filters that have no cotton element at all and just a metal mesh - now that's just scary!

lockdown is lifted for most biz to restart only. technically the movement order is still in place. haven't driven the car except to get critical essentials and the occasional startup to keep things flowing. most people are concerned its too early to lift "all" restrictions and are trying to keep indoors as much as possible.

approx 8 weeks and counting since a decent sporty drive :(

·
Registered
607 Posts
the re-usable element is really just to gauge if the material is designed to be cleaned and then put back into service. I've also seen "dry" air filters that have no cotton element at all and just a metal mesh - now that's just scary!

lockdown is lifted for most biz to restart only. technically the movement order is still in place. haven't driven the car except to get critical essentials and the occasional startup to keep things flowing. most people are concerned its too early to lift "all" restrictions and are trying to keep indoors as much as possible.

Yeah.. depending on where you stand on the Covid seesaw... there's an interesting debate going on in the whine for the day thread and its best we leave it there... :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

They are designed to be cleaned and reused as I have been using one for three years and 3 cleaning cycles so far. They sell the cleaner and it looks like "Simple Green" cleaner if you've ever used that product before.

You spray/soak the filters with the cleaner, wait a few minutes then run hot water down into and through them to rinse the cotton out. I accelerate the drying on mine using a 30" shop fan I have in my garage. It will swivel flat blowing straight up, so I place the filter cones on the front of the fan so the air blows up into and through them just they work in the car, then reinstall the following day

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi ICNU, I am a BMC user so I'm familiar with the process.
Yes a good shop fan or a really dry hot day helps with the cleaning and drying process.

I was referring to the new product that some posters mentioned from aFE and trying to clarify if it was the same type/category and if it was comparable to K&N/BMC in line with the thread.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi ICNU, I am a BMC user so I'm familiar with the process.
Yes a good shop fan or a really dry hot day helps with the cleaning and drying process.

I was referring to the new product that some posters mentioned from aFE and trying to clarify if it was the same type/category and if it was comparable to K&N/BMC in line with the thread.
Yes, the dry AFE is what I have and was talking about. If you go back to the beginning of the thread to about post #20 you will see we had already been discussing them in detail. It was 4 months ago though, but some of these conversations become cyclical after a while once the thread gets long enough (y)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
my bad I did miss/forgot some of the earlier posts but it didn't help that there were confusing links about oiled non oiled. thanks for clarifying :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back the to problem of installing a K&N filter on a Cayman.

I to struggled with the K&N initially. The problem with the filter, it is not "molded" into the oval shape of the airbox connection and is more rounded, so the top and bottom are too short and the sides pucker out. After fighting it for awhile I figure out out to install it in about 30 seconds. You will need a "pick" (a screwdriver looking device with a narrow pointed end) with a right angle. Get the filter in the box and generally lined up. Fit the bottom of the filter so it just wraps around the airbox connection at an angle (bottom on, top off). Place your left hand on the left side of the filter with light pressure to hold it in place and then use the "pick" with your right hand, insert the tip of it near the top of the filter and lift up on the rubber edge, this will streatch the filter into the shape of the airbox connector, when you get it aligned at the top, gently wiggle the filter with your left hand and it will pop right on. The first time it may take you a couple minuites but once you get the hang of it... The instruction for this product are crap and should be completely re-written.

Hope this helps someone! K

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Thanks it definitely shouldn't be that difficult

41 - 52 of 52 Posts