Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not expecting a locking lug nut on the 718 because I didn't have them on my 981.
I considered swapping in regular lug nuts because I wasn't worried about theft, it's a bit of a hassle to change wheels twice a year with a key and I was also concerned about mechanics either having trouble finding the key or forgetting to return it to me. (It throws off my star patterns a bit with loosening and tightening the wheels, but I guess I need more of a challenge since I've had practice.)

Black lug nuts are $13.39 each at my dealer and a spare key is ~ $35.
So that's a little expensive for me to either replace the locking nuts or buy a spare key ahead of time.

Also, I saw the thread here about wheels actually getting stolen: http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/116609-all-wheels-stolen-broad-day-light.html

Does anyone out there have plans about their lug nuts?

I think I'll just try to be diligent about providing the key to mechanics outside of the dealership that need to pull a wheel off and keep the locking nut.
I am going to take note of the number of the key to make it easier to replace it if it does get lost.

It should be fine for work at the dealer; they probably have a handful of the keys around and don't even bother finding yours.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I change my own tires (winter/summer) and locking nuts would drive my crazy. (My wife has them on her Golf R, and I swap her tires...) $13.39 x 4 would be a small price to pay IMO. And i don't think the locking lug nuts will slow down the pro thieves by more than a second or two, they will just snap the lug.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I doubt the keys are universal. I thought there were a large variety of patterns to avoid a thief having a field day. I know that the paperwork that came with my wife's Mazda had a code to use to order the unique key.

I removed the locking ones on my car (987.2) and the Mazda. I don't park in ghettos.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I guess you have to ask yourself how desirable are your wheels and if you park in places where the car is unattended. I have locking nuts on my Audi S4 and it has not been an issue. Tire store and tow truck people have always asked for them and returned them when done. Interesting on my 981 CS with 20" there are no lock nuts. However, it spends most of its life either in my garage or moving down the road, and I never park the car in the street for very long. If I were you I would keep the lock nuts.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
I don't have to worry about wheel theft, and I don't have $4000+ wheels to start with. So I ask the dealer to replace those locking nuts on all my cars even before they leave dealership. They are just hustle for the owners, a respected car thief won't even break a sweat

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I don't have to worry about wheel theft, and I don't have $4000+ wheels to start with. So I ask the dealer to replace those locking nuts on all my cars even before they leave dealership. They are just hustle for the owners, a respected car thief won't even break a sweat
+1. Even an unrespected car thief would laugh at those useless pieces of crap. There are dozens of Youtube videos showing how easy it is to get them off. I would recommend replacing them and throwing them into the deepest lake you can find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.