Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...since I value many of the informed opinions I have been reading on this site..I thought I would bring my dilemma to you.

I am looking for a BT/Nav/Radio replacement for the the current CDR24 because it is frustrating having the cockpit cluttered with all of the various electronic devices I am currently using to accomplish these tasks. The most important thing to me is bluetooth...followed by the navigation...finally the stereo. This is the first time in 15 years I have felt the need to upgrade the factory system...but the proliferation of electronics seems to demand it at this time.

I have "sort of" narrowed it down to the Kenwood 7140 and Clarion's new NX700 which allegedly has much improved satellite navigation which I have read was a weakness on previous models from them. The interface on the Clarion seems to get better reviews than the Kenwood...possibly because it offers less features???

I really like the Garmin navigation offered by Kenwood. I have read that this unit is much more feature rich than the Clarion but the con would be a clunkier interface. It seems to me that that have not yet figured out a good way to give you access to all the features. Which to me, defeats my purpose of simplifying my life with whichever unit I purchase. I'm not even sure if I would use/need the extra features, since it seems both have everything I would see as necessary. Is there something glaring missing from one or the other?

I have read that these are two of the best options when it comes to the bluetooth interface. So, at this point it seems like a non-issue.

What do you all think? Does anyone have personal experience with either of these units or the manufacturers in general? Is my analysis close or am I way off? Am I missing an obvious competitor?

Thanks in advance for your input!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey all...since I value many of the informed opinions I have been reading on this site..I thought I would bring my dilemma to you.

I am looking for a BT/Nav/Radio replacement for the the current CDR24 because it is frustrating having the cockpit cluttered with all of the various electronic devices I am currently using to accomplish these tasks. The most important thing to me is bluetooth...followed by the navigation...finally the stereo. This is the first time in 15 years I have felt the need to upgrade the factory system...but the proliferation of electronics seems to demand it at this time.

I have "sort of" narrowed it down to the Kenwood 7140 and Clarion's new NX700 which allegedly has much improved satellite navigation which I have read was a weakness on previous models from them. The interface on the Clarion seems to get better reviews than the Kenwood...possibly because it offers less features???

I really like the Garmin navigation offered by Kenwood. I have read that this unit is much more feature rich than the Clarion but the con would be a clunkier interface. It seems to me that that have not yet figured out a good way to give you access to all the features. Which to me, defeats my purpose of simplifying my life with whichever unit I purchase. I'm not even sure if I would use/need the extra features, since it seems both have everything I would see as necessary. Is there something glaring missing from one or the other?

I have read that these are two of the best options when it comes to the bluetooth interface. So, at this point it seems like a non-issue.

What do you all think? Does anyone have personal experience with either of these units or the manufacturers in general? Is my analysis close or am I way off? Am I missing an obvious competitor?

Thanks in advance for your input!!!
I'm using a Kenwood DNX6140 in my Boxster and am happy with it.
MY CAVEAT though, make sure that your phone is compatible w/ the Blue Tooth - turned out mine was not. Check the Kenwood web site

·
Registered
56 Posts
I suggest looking at the new 2010 Kenwood models since they are starting to hit the store shelves. For the model I am considering (DNX6160), the hardware and software interface has been improved along with an increased resolution size. Here is a link to the press release. The DNX7160 is due to be released next month.

Kenwood

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I put a Kenwood 6140 in my Toyota Tacoma pickup several weeks ago and I am very happy with the unit. GPS is above average, radio sounds better with OEM speakers than the OEM radio/ CD changer and the bluetooth is equal to any. Plus the unit looks good in the truck. I'm completely satisfied with the installation and the performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 9140 in my Touareg and I love it. Garmin navigation is great - better than the Porsche navi in my Cayman or Acura navi in my wife's car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Although, I am wondering...does anyone have experience with Clarion?

Based upon what I am reading the Kenwood seems like a no brainer. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
No experience with Clarion.

I am also looking into changing out my CDR-24. I have talked with several people and installers. They all have gave given thumbs up on Kenwood.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I considered this recently as well, either getting PCM or the CDR30 and swapping it for a 3rd party nav immediately. I found it important to have stuff look pretty consistent, I found all the Kenwood user interfaces to look kind of sloppy with weird fonts and jarring colors. From what I saw of the Clarion units, their UIs were much more consistent and seemed more fitting of being in a high end car. My two cents :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed a Clarion NX409 last year.
I think thats similar to the 700 except it has a smaller screen and a discreet volume knob, which is what I wanted. I chose Clarion because it seemed the best choice that had actual real iPhone support. The Pioneers are buggy and take forever to boot, and I found the Kenwood interface to be a little rough.

It may not have every bell and whistle, but does the job very well.
Overall I love it.

Pros:
Sounds great
Sirius, iPhone support works great
GPS works well
Great price (I paid around $500 if I remember correctly, maybe even less)

Cons:

BT370 bluetooth add on module seems terrible. I've gotten it to connect with iPhone once or twice, but can't repeat it automatically. The one time I did have it working, my parents couldn't hear me through the mic with all the engine noise on the highway. A waste of $70.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
I have the Kenwood installed in my car. The all-in-one aspect of the system is nice. The user interface however seems antiquated. When I compare it to the U-Connect system in my 09 Grand Cherokee, it's no contast. To me, the Jeep system is the best all around system I've seen/used.

I installed a Clarion NX409 last year.
I think thats similar to the 700 except it has a smaller screen and a discreet volume knob, which is what I wanted. I chose Clarion because it seemed the best choice that had actual real iPhone support. The Pioneers are buggy and take forever to boot, and I found the Kenwood interface to be a little rough.

It may not have every bell and whistle, but does the job very well.
Overall I love it.

Pros:
Sounds great
Sirius, iPhone support works great
GPS works well
Great price (I paid around $500 if I remember correctly, maybe even less)

Cons:

BT370 bluetooth add on module seems terrible. I've gotten it to connect with iPhone once or twice, but can't repeat it automatically. The one time I did have it working, my parents couldn't hear me through the mic with all the engine noise on the highway. A waste of $70.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts