Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Got an odd problem, wondered if anyone might be able to help.

I've just installed a Kenwood DMX100BT to replace the CD24 (none bose, none SPP) in my Cayman. When installing, I ran a wire from a spare slot in the fuse box (using a fuse tap, checked forums to identify an appropriate slot) to use as the switched 12v. Once installed, this works fine. Key turned to on position = stereo on, key turn to off = after a few seconds, stereo off. The weird thing is that when you start the car, the stereo turns on as you'd expect, but then doesn't turn off when you stop the engine and remove the key. Additionally, after doing this once (like, first drive with new tunes), the stereo then won't turn on or off with the ignition - it can only be turned on/off manually.

Initially I thought I'd dislodged the ignition wiring somehow; but having pulled the stereo, swapped out the ISO connector, checked crimped connectors, etc - exactly the same thing happens. Works whilst you're testing it on ignition, but then stops working once you start the car. It's almost as if the stereo gets mixed up once the engine's been started, and won't do anything with the switched signal unless it's unplugged and re-plugged in.

Does that make sense? Cheers for any help you can offer...!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if the DMX100 BT is the same as a DNX570HD but I installed a 570HD in my wife's Cayman and it has two 12 volt connections. One must remain connected to 12 volts all the time (retains settings et. al.) The other 12 volt input is switched with the ignition. On the 570HD wiring harness, the yellow wire is the always on 12V and the red wire is the switched 12V.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if the DMX100 BT is the same as a DNX570HD but I installed a 570HD in my wife's Cayman and it has two 12 volt connections. One must remain connected to 12 volts all the time (retains settings et. al.) The other 12 volt input is switched with the ignition. On the 570HD wiring harness, the yellow wire is the always on 12V and the red wire is the switched 12V.

I hope this helps.
Thanks - yeah that's the same layout as mine. The always on 12v means I can manually turn on/off the stereo now no matter whether the key is in or not; it's just the switched 12v (red) that appears to be misbehaving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks - yeah that's the same layout as mine. The always on 12v means I can manually turn on/off the stereo now no matter whether the key is in or not; it's just the switched 12v (red) that appears to be misbehaving.
The yellow is a permanent low amp draw to keep the clock and preset settings. The red is the power for the screen and amp. Check the fuse you're using. It wouldn't be the first time there was one that gave a wonky signal. If it's a fuse tap it should be a simple swap inside the panel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The stock radio turns on when the key is placed in the ignition, and turns off when the key is removed. I have the same behavior as stock with my aftermarket radio using a tap from fuse B9. It sounds like you are tapped into a fuse that doesn't turn on until the key is in the Accessory ON position, and stays hot for some time after the car is turned off.

Get in there with a multimeter and see what's going on. Identify a fuse slot that shows 0V with the key out, goes to 12V with the key in, and back to 0V with no delay when they key is removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.