Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the keyhole in the door serves any purpose? I insert the key and twist it to one side and nothing. Insert the key and twist it the opposite way and still nothing. Is the key only used for starting the car and to open the glovebox? No door function with or without the locks on the door.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key doesnt unlock anything once its inside the hole. Twisted it both ways and nothing. Lets say my battery dies (inside the key) and I need to open it by inserting it, it doesnt unlock the door. Keep the sarcastic comments coming. Its like the locking mechanism inside the door are not connected where they should be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just read my manual and it seems to me that the key is supposed to lock or unlock the car when put in the keyhole and turned. What am I and the OP missing in the manual? I have 20 years of education but maybe still am not able to RTFM?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It should lock and unlock the door. If it doesn't something is broken. I guess some of us are surprised you are asking how a key in a door works.:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
The key doesnt unlock anything once its inside the hole. Twisted it both ways and nothing. Lets say my battery dies (inside the key) and I need to open it by inserting it, it doesnt unlock the door. Keep the sarcastic comments coming. Its like the locking mechanism inside the door are not connected where they should be.
That's because that is not the purpose of the spare key. Please read your manual, somewhere around p.18. A manual is available in our files sections for download.

The little key allows your real key to be reactivated once the car goes to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I just read my manual and it seems to me that the key is supposed to lock or unlock the car when put in the keyhole and turned. What am I and the OP missing in the manual? I have 20 years of education but maybe still am not able to RTFM?
There are two (2) keys. The real key will open the door. But then you must start the car or the alarm goes off in 10 seconds. The little key (the spare key) is to reactivate the remote if it went to sleep.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its not how it works... I know how a key works, what I meant to say was that mine seems to be un attached of what it's supposed to be attached and it just doesnt unlock or locks the door. Thats it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not talking about the spare key. I bought the car used and it only had one key. Bought another one and had it programed at the dealership. but have never tried opening the car through the keyhole, always used the buttons one the key. It basically turns and nothing happens.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There are two (2) keys. The real key will open the door. But then you must start the car or the alarm goes off in 10 seconds. The little key (the spare key) is to reactivate the remote if it went to sleep.
I have two keys for my 2008 and they both do exactly the same thing. I don't know what a "little key" is. Both unlock the car either with the lock/unlock button or by inserting the key in the door and turning it. If you are referring to the emergency wallet key, I think they were only available in 2006. I do know they were not available any longer in 2008. The OP has a 2007 I believe.:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I have two keys for my 2008 and they both do exactly the same thing. I don't know what a "little key" is. Both unlock the car either with the lock/unlock button or by inserting the key in the door and turning it. If you are referring to the emergency wallet key, I think they were only available in 2006. I do know they were not available any longer in 2008. The OP has a 2007 I believe.:cheers:
Oh wait. My bad. Sorry. That was the 2006 and the key within the key is for the new keys.

I suggest the OP just download a manual and read it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to ask but what does OP stands for? I have read through it but I still think there might be something wrong with the door locking mechanism as it doesnt make anything when twisted.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Sorry to ask but what does OP stands for? I have read through it but I still think there might be something wrong with the door locking mechanism as it doesnt make anything when twisted.
It means "Original Poster". In this case, you.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
OK. Others have defined OP for you but the important fact is that your lock is broken, plain and simple. The door panel will have to be removed and the lock and it's connections will either have to be repaired or replaced. There is no other alternative.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I will probably get flamed for saying this but I'm just going to go with it. OP, why are you worried about the door lock not working? You can use the remote to gain entry/lock the car, and if it goes into 'sleep mode' when not used for more than seven days, lifting the door handle will awaken it.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I will probably get flamed for saying this but I'm just going to go with it. OP, why are you worried about the door lock not working? You can use the remote to gain entry/lock the car, and if it goes into 'sleep mode' when not used for more than seven days, lifting the door handle will awaken it.
There has been several threads in the last few years where someone had a dead battery and the door lock was broken. Also - the transmitter in the key head (or the receiver in the car) could break. If it's the battery, then the only way to get to it is to use the emergency cable inside the front fender - which requires removing the wheel. And of course the wheel lock key is ....... locked in the frunk.

OP, you have a potential time-bomb on your hands. Better get it fixed now rather than wait for the battery to fail. You could try lubricating the key/lock with graphite. Maybe it is just stiff due to disuse. I use my key occasionally just to keep it functional.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The root cause of this difficult thread is that keys have gotten weird over the years, to the extent that the original/offended poster considered it plausible that a Porsche key was not designed to perform the traditional, old-fashioned function of mechanically locking and unlocking. He didn't consider that something might be broken. His question had the answer within it, of course - no, it makes no sense to have a keyhole without a purpose, which should have triggered a search for unwarranted assumptions. However, we humans aren't very good at that.

I drive five vehicles, each with a different sort of key system. Did you know that the most unforgivable violation of Porsche tradition committed by the 928 was that they put the ignition on the right? Anyway, I look like a fool getting into these cars.

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 20 of 42 Posts