Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Keyless Entry

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  fmarshall 
#1 ·
My keyless entry just doesn't work very well. I have tried both keys, pointing them at various places, they only seem to work when they want to.

Anybody else have this issue? Is there something I am missing?

#2 ·
I don't think your "missing" anything. Both should work without a problem. I'd say take it back to the dealer for an eval. There could be something wrong with the receiver.

#3 ·

Keyless entry?? did I read that right? I didnt know Caymans had this option!! Or do u mean the key fob?!

"Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

A good car will get you from point A to point B. A great car... will just get you into trouble!

#6 ·
Sorry - I guess I am using the wrong terminology. I will try the batteries tomorrow, I just finde it odd that it is on both the fobs. If not, off to the dealer!

#7 ·
Sorry - I guess I am using the wrong terminology.
Don't worry sabritto, you are not wrong, just the other member seems to be confused. Keyless entry refers to unlocking the doors remotely with the keyfob. Keyless start (usually with a remote you keep in your pocket) we don't have yet, but you can see it on new BMWs for example. (among others)

The advice of taking it to the dealer and reproducing the problem is the best solution. There you could also check against other Caymans if you are still not satisfied. Hopefully it's not related to interference in the exact area you are trying to use it during your normal routine.

#9 ·
Sinse the key thing has been brought up, would it be possible to have the dealer parts department order me one of those key sets that have the key section desingned on a spring loaded hinge for deployed use while when not used the key rests in the side (partly concealed) this makes it alot more convinient. They have them already for the Cayenne.

#10 · (Edited)
I have found one idiosyncrasy that drives me crazy:

If the Cayman is sitting unlocked, like in your locked garage, and you want to open the hatch, the remote won't release it. You must open the door and use the flip switch to open the hatch. I experimented, and found that if you then try locking the car with the remote after unsuccessfully trying to open the hatch, it locks, but for some reason the remote then won't open the hatch or even unlock the doors! So, you wait a minute, to let any remote blocking clear, and there's no change. The wait for clearing the remote system must be pretty long. So, you unlock the car with the key and the alarm goes off unless you get the key in the ignition in 10 seconds. (By the time I carefully open the door and lower my fat old self into the sport seat more than 10 seconds passed, apparently. :) ) At least that silliness is mentioned in the owners manual, but I found out the hard way how it functions at 4:30am. [Sigh]

On the other hand, if the car is sitting locked for at least several minutes, and you approach and open the hatch via the remote, it works fine. There's no mention, that I can find, in the owners manual of this odd hatch/remote operation.

#11 ·
I recommend changing the batteries in the receivers and then reprogramming them for good will. To reprogram, put the key into the ignition and hold the unlock button for several seconds until the frequency of the blinking light changes.

One of my keys stopped working all together a few weeks after delivery, and one would work off and on and only well when really close; changing the batteries and reprogramming made them both work flawlessly and at much longer distances.

:)

#18 ·
And on the Cayman, the Homelink does some similar things - at least on my car.

When I park and walk away, the car locks itself, but it stays unlocked in my garage. When I return, open the hatch and don't get inside the car soon after closing the hatch, the car locks again. I know that when I walk up to it when it is locked, I have to use the key (button) for access.

#15 ·
***Keyless entry is a new fad with car manufacturers these days where the car senses the key close when you walk towards it and unlocks by itself. You can have the key in ur pocket or bag and not need to click a button.***
This is called "smart key" by Toyota and Lexus. Keyless entry is being able to push the button on your key fob and remotely unlock / lock the doors.

#17 ·
This is called "smart key" by Toyota and Lexus. Keyless entry is being able to push the button on your key fob and remotely unlock / lock the doors.

Well AFAIK the feature that u just keep the key in ur pocket and only need to push start is called "Keyless entry" in both the Cayenne and the Mercs

"Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

A good car will get you from point A to point B. A great car... will just get you into trouble!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.