Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Ok i have two problems:

1- Sometimes after the car has been parked for two or three days without moving, when i switch it on put the hand brake down and creep forward in first gear i get this clunk noise for a split second, as if the gearbox or wheels are rusty and you just tried to mov'em. After that the noise disappears it only comes back when ive parked the car for a day or two without moving it. Anyone experienced something similiar?

2- My second problem is causing me to play the music out loud like a nutter so i dont have to hear it. Its an annoying knocking noise comin from the front of the car as if somewhere in the mid front or right side. When my front wheels go over a bump or uneven road i hear this loud knock like something is hitting on the inside of the car. It only happens when the front wheels go over an uneven surface and the car weight comes back down that i here that knock. Going up the bump nothing and coming down the bump CRACKKK!!! On flat roads its fine no noise can be heard. Any idea what it could be?

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Number 1 is covered in the FAQ's. Planet-9 - FAQ: Indiosyncrasies as well as several existing threads.

Number 2 is harder to help with without more info. Size of wheels, brand of tires, aftermarket mods or stock, miles on the car and so on. You might also search for threads on noise if you have not.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if you can safely...park the car without the parking brake...if no noise it maybe the parking brake sticking....the other noise...EMPTY the front trunk and repeat test

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok for the first part ill try parking without the parking break and see what happens.

For the second noise, i removed the tool kit from the front already but it doesnt seem to have helped. The noise is coming from under the car like its the springs or something like that. I got 19 inch Turbo Alloys, just fitted a new set of tyres two months ago, car has done 11,000 miles till now. No aftermarket mods except the PSE. Will be removing this next week to drop in a Remus.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
you already told him to search relax

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Is it still in warranty where you live? If so get the dealer to deal with the front noise issue just to be sure of no broken or loose suspension parts. You will have to be able to demonstrate it to a tech so try to replicate it close to the dealer first. And does the sound happen when going straight or when turning or both?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
About #2 -- Has the front sway bar been replaced or upgraded/downgraded?

The front suspension subframe must be dropped to remove/install the front sway bar. Into that subframe is inserted a plastic clip that holds the two large coolant pipes that pass directly above that subframe. If you don't release that clip before dropping the subframe, the clip will break, allowing the coolant pipes to bounce up-and-down and bang on the subframe.

I learned this the hard way, and your description sounds just like my car did. It is possible to replace the clip without dropping the subframe again, but it isn't easy (requires quite a bit of contortion and manipulation, but it can be done).

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
#2 may be the b pillar nut being loose. you have to remove the cover for the seat belt outlet and tighten the nut that connects the window to the b pillar. do not over tighten, it can break, mine did. you can search the site for more detailed info.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Get your car on a lift and check the suspension components for anything loose. I had a similar sound on my car and it drove my insane, finally it turned out that some component I dont remember got a little loose. Just a few wrench tightens and voila, the sound of silence!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts