Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Terry Smith & I spent most of last week in LA together. We went to three car museums; The Petersen, The Mullin Collection, and the Nethercutt Collection. Drove thru most of the hills north of Malibu, along the coast from El Segundo south to Palos Verdes, and an abbreviated (due to a rock slide) trip into Angeles Crest. Here are a few pics. The Rock Store is on Mulholland Hwy just east of a section called "The Snake"; which is about a mile-long stretch of 15 mph hairpins. We ran into some locals familiar with the area, and they told us that several cars & bikes crashed in the Snake in the previous week. The Snake and Rock Store are popular with sport bikes & sports cars. Nobody was at the Rock Store on that day; as it's only open Friday thru Sunday. The Snake was hilarious - 30mph was all I could handle, and it was like being on a roller coaster.

I took Terry to an Italian restaurant in the "Golden Triangle", and about 20 minutes after we sat down, Jay Leno & his wife Mavis walked in. After dinner, I showed Terry Rodeo Drive, and then we had a drink in the lounge of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Another night, we had Mexi at Tortilla Republic in West Hollywood - the food & margaritas were killer.

On the way back to Monterey, I took Hwy 33 north out of Ojai; which is on every list of "Ten Best Driving Roads in CA." It lived up to the billing - one of the prettiest drives I've ever taken.

c Angeles Crest Two Caymans 2278.jpg c Angeles Crest Two Caymans 2291.jpg c Cayman Rock Store 2090.jpg c Hotel Bel Air 2383.jpg c Hwy 33 2393.jpg c Playboy Mansion Gate 2358.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
OK, awesome!
Comments:
1- Did you ask Leno to gift you a car?
2- What are the other 10-best-drive-in-USA in California?
3- I heard The Snake has some law-enforcement challenges from time to time. Plus crazy bikers.
4- Y'all love your blue! The cars look great. Scenery, too!

Thanks for the report.

Terry Smith & I spent most of last week in LA together. We went to three car museums; The Petersen, The Mullin Collection, and the Nethercutt Collection. Drove thru most of the hills north of Malibu, along the coast from El Segundo south to Palos Verdes, and an abbreviated (due to a rock slide) trip into Angeles Crest. Here are a few pics. The Rock Store is on Mulholland Hwy just east of a section called "The Snake"; which is about a mile-long stretch of 15 mph hairpins. We ran into some locals familiar with the area, and they told us that several cars & bikes crashed in the Snake in the previous week. The Snake and Rock Store are popular with sport bikes & sports cars. Nobody was at the Rock Store on that day; as it's only open Friday thru Sunday. The Snake was hilarious - 30mph was all I could handle, and it was like being on a roller coaster.

I took Terry to an Italian restaurant in the "Golden Triangle", and about 20 minutes after we sat down, Jay Leno & his wife Mavis walked in. After dinner, I showed Terry Rodeo Drive, and then we had a drink in the lounge of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Another night, we had Mexi at Tortilla Republic in West Hollywood - the food & margaritas were killer.

On the way back to Monterey, I took Hwy 33 north out of Ojai; which is on every list of "Ten Best Driving Roads in CA." It lived up to the billing - one of the prettiest drives I've ever taken.

View attachment 75058 View attachment 75066 View attachment 75074 View attachment 75082 View attachment 75090 View attachment 75098

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
some more

The "Beverly Hills" is the BH Hotel; arguably the most swank hotel in LA. A pic of this hotel's towers is on the cover of the Eagles' "Hotel California" album.

The R&B car and the chassis with separate body are both Bugatti at the Mullin. The R&B car is a '39 Type 57C "Atalante"; which in my mind, is the most beautiful road car produced by Bugatti. The exposed chassis is an original '39 Type 64 - note that the frame looks like aluminum; because it is an aluminum alloy, which was a first for a road car. Only three chassis were built, and only one was bodied; as the chassis was prohibitively expensive to build. The body above the chassis isn't original, and no designs exist for this car. Mullin had the Art Center College of Design (in Pasadena) design the body in the photo. (The Art Center is arguably the most prestigious school for automotive design in the US - Chip Foose is among it's many famous graduates.)

The black Rolls and the eggplant car were at the Petersen. The Rolls, in my mind, is one of the most famous cars in the collection; I've seen it at several concours, including Pebble Beach. It's a '25 Phantom 1 that was re-bodied about 10 years later. (The "Aero" styling of this body is typical of late 1930s design; which is in dramatic contrast to the boxy-looking bodies that were typical of cars built in the mid-1920s.) Needless to say, it's the only one of it's kind. Probably hard to tell in this dark photo, but the side door is in the shape of a perfect circle - and the car is nicknamed the "round door" Rolls. The eggplant custom is one of my all time favorite cars. It's a '48 Cadillac built by Boyd Coddington for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, and is named "Cadzzilla." (and Billy Gibbons still owns it - quite a few of the cars at the Petersen are privately owned and were loaned to the Petersen for display).

d Bev Hills Hotel 2341.jpg d Bugatti '39 57C Atalante 2070.jpg d Bugatti '39 Type 64 Alloy Chassis 2072.jpg d Cadzilla '48 Coddington-Gibbons 2189.jpg d Hwy 33 2408.jpg d RR '25 P! Jonckheere Aero 2108.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow, pretty comprehensive LA tour. You have seen more of this place than I have and I live here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thx to BluzPwr for letting me tag along on his LA Museum Trip because I have recently become interested in the classic cars that are so well displayed at all three of these museums.

I was on the trip for 3 days and each day turned out to include a museum tour and driving tour.
The first day was spent at the Mullin Collection.

The Mullin is not often open but I found out that you can pre-purchase and reserve guided tours that are available on Tuesdays. Our tour included two other people (total of 4) and the docent really liked that ratio. He showed and explained most of the cars in the collection.

The Mullin focuses on French classic cars, mostly pre-WWII and mostly Bugatti, but also includes cars manufactured by Delage, Talbot-Lago, Hispano-Suiza, Citroen, Avions Voisin, Delahave, Renault, Tetra and Peugeot. These ultra-luxurious cars of this era were generally made by the car builders like those listed and then ordered with customer-selected or custom bodies from a variety of coach builders. For example, about the first car you see upon entering the Mullin is this 1951 Talbot-Lago T26 Grand Sport Cabriolet.

LA Museum Trip - 1.jpg

If this car reminds you of a Ferrari, that would be because the coach builder for this car is Stabilimenti Farina and (Giuseppe) Farina was also involved in design and coach building for many Ferrari cars of that era.

After the museum tour, it was time to return to the hotel on Sunset Blvd and since the Mullin is Oxnard, north of LA near the coast, the trip back was via the hills above Malibu and BP described in post #1.

LA Museum Trip - 2.jpg LA Museum Trip - 3.jpg

·
Registered
625 Posts
The second day included a driving tour down the coast to Palos Verdes and then back to the Petersen Museum in LA. The Palos Verdes run is very scenic and recommended. The first picture shows the view as seen from the house in the second picture (where, apparently, there is no drought).

LA Museum Trip - 4.jpg LA Museum Trip - 5.jpg

The Petersen is, I guess, the most well-known car museum in the LA area (or likely all of California) and has just opened after a complete renovation and update. The museum is (still) divided into 3 floors each with a different theme plus the “vault”. The vault is available only via guided tours which are available several times a day for an additional charge. The vault tour is a must if you visit the museum.

We self-toured the main displays. While the Peterson collection is much more eclectic than the Mullin, it just so happened that most of the first-floor display was comprised of classic (mostly French) cars on loan from the Mullin. So we got see more of those.

In post #3 above, BP shows a picture of the red and black 1939 Bugatti Type 57C "Atalante” that is at the Mullin. The Petersen has on display another Type 57SC Bugatti from 1936 called the “Atlantic”. Only 4 were built. I think this is my favorite car from all that I saw during the trip. Plus it is supercharged.

LA Museum Trip - 6.jpg LA Museum Trip - 7.jpg LA Museum Trip - 8.jpg

·
Registered
625 Posts
The third day was for the Nethercutt and Angeles Crest Highway.

The Nethercutt is divided into two facilities, the “Collection” and the museum. The Collection is only available by pre-reserved guided tour. It features cars and fantastic self-playing musical instruments called Orchestrions. We took the Collection guided tour and then a self-guided tour of the car museum across the street. Like the Peterson, the Nethercutt is eclectic (or not focused on one theme), but It seemed to me that a large portion of the classic, pre-war collection was from American manufactures like Cord, Packard, Cadillac, Lincoln and others like this 1931 Stutz DV-32 Sedan with coachwork by LeBaron-Detroit Co.

LA Museum Trip - 9.jpg

The very best cars seemed to be in the collection, but the museum cars were also incredible. Half of the collection tour is devoted to the collection of the orchestrions and includes a short concert on “the world’s 3rd largest theater pipe organ,” a mighty 1918 Wurlitzer. This tour is highly recommended for everyone, not just car persons.

After the Nethercutt, we took a short run up Angeles Crest but at the junction with the Angeles Forest Highway (N3) we came to a sign saying Angeles Crest was closed ahead because of a rock slide. So at this junction, I parted company with BP, toured the N3 to Palmdale, then caught the 138 west back to I5 and then north to Harris Ranch to overnight after a Cabernet and USDA Prime ribeye.

A great little trip and thanks again to BP.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I finally finished editing - here's more cars at the Petersen.

The first, third, & fourth are privately owned and are on loan to the Petersen.

The Atlantic is co-owned by Mullin and it was purchased in a private sale a few years ago. The docent for our tour of the Mullin understood the sale price was around $37M. I believe 5 were built, and one was destroyed when it hit a train in France in the early '40s. The parts were since recovered, and the car was rebuilt by Paul Russell's shop - he's done several of Ralph Lauren's cars. Russell's "recreation" was on display during Monterey Car Week about 7 years ago. Ralph Lauren owns one of the originals, and it won Best of Show at Pebble about 20 years ago.

The dark blue Bugatti is referred to as the "Shah of Iran" car. It was custom built as a gift from the French Govt. to the "prince in waiting" as a wedding present. The windshield lowers into the cowl via a crank on the dashboard.

The Corvette looks like a concept car that begat the C2 series. Which may be true, but it's primary function was for racing, and I recall that it won a national championship. It is still owned by GM.

The Ferrari is owned by Bruce Meyer, who is a major force in the collector car hobby - I believe he was the first president of the Petersen. And he was there when we were. The info placard stated that this car was the winningest Ferrari ever. And knowing something about Meyer's collection, I don't doubt it. He also owns the very first Shelby Cobra built; it's black with white circles (the kind with racing numbers in them), and "1" is the number in the circles.

The bike was owned by Steve McQueen. One of the Petersen's most famous cars is the Jag XKSS that was owned by McQueen. We saw it, but the lighting was too dim for photos.

The yellow Mercer is pretty freakin' unbelievable, as it has NEVER been restored. I've seen it at concours, including the Graystone Concours in LA about 5 years ago, where it won Best of Show.

Thx to Terry for keeping me company!!

e Bugatti '36 57SC Atlantic Mullin 2229.jpg e Bugatti '39 57C Vanvooren 2242.jpg e Corvette '59 Stingray Racer 2224.jpg e Ferrari '57 625 TR Scaglietti Meyer 2218.jpg e Indian '27 Big Chief McQueen 2182.jpg e Mercer '13 35J Raceabout Unrestored 2147.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts