Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I am very close to buying a 2017 Boxster but, dealer says the warranty started in Feb. 2017 when the dealer took possession as a Demo. I have asked if they can make it effective for date of purchase but, unable? I will be losing 7mo's - has anyone else heard of this or dealt with it?
Thanks for your help from a newbie .

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
It started when the deal "punched its ticket". That is common for a car used as a demo. The warranty starts when the car is put into use, not when it is sold. So that's why you get to buy it at a pretty hefty discount (right? otherwise walk away). Keep in mind that most defects appear well before the warranty ends.
In my case, I used-up my miles 6 months before the 4 yrs expired, so no big deal.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
So if the dealer "punched its ticket" for use as a demo, does this mean that the car is actually a used, or "pre-owned" vehicle? And if so, shouldn't she require it be a CPO as a way to get the full warranty term and a greater discount on the price?
If it's never been sold, it would still be considered 'new". The dealer probably still has the manufacturer's certificate and the car would not of been registered (using dealer's plates). The CPO might be a fair thing to ask for in negotiating with the dealer. It all depends on the details of the deal. If the buyer insists on a CPO, the CPO cost might end-up coming out of the mark-down already built into the deal. CPOs cost the dealer since it is just an extended warranty program run by Porsche.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
So if the dealer "punched its ticket" for use as a demo, does this mean that the car is actually a used, or "pre-owned" vehicle? And if so, shouldn't she require it be a CPO as a way to get the full warranty term and a greater discount on the price?
It's entirely up to the dealer. Some will offer a CPO to move a demo which has been languishing on their lot. CPO on a demo is certainly something that you could negotiate. I've read that the CPO cost is around $2500.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have bought two CPOs. Both times I was told they are about $1,800 value. If the OP is going for long term ownership I would take a shot at pressing for the CPO to get the mileage as much as the time. Also, used as demo car............how often have you read where people talk about test driving a demo and 'driving it like it was stolen.........'. Yes, Porsches are built to be driven, yes we do not have to be ridiculous about the break in period.........but it is fairly likely that as a demo it did not enjoy much of any miles before it was run up the rev range towards red line. At a minimum, as for the print out of the rev ranges if they will not give you a CPO.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have bought two CPOs. Both times I was told they are about $1,800 value. If the OP is going for long term ownership I would take a shot at pressing for the CPO to get the mileage as much as the time. Also, used as demo car............how often have you read where people talk about test driving a demo and 'driving it like it was stolen.........'. Yes, Porsches are built to be driven, yes we do not have to be ridiculous about the break in period.........but it is fairly likely that as a demo it did not enjoy much of any miles before it was run up the rev range towards red line. At a minimum, as for the print out of the rev ranges if they will not give you a CPO.
If the issue is not who pays for the CPO, but whether they will provide one at all, I'd say that is a red flag at the least. Press them on why they won't and be sure any rev report you get is completely up to date. If they sell a car with a rev history that effectively voids the factory warranty but sell the car as warranteed they will be in a world of hurt, but if you are the one who bought it, you would be in for a load of hassle yourself. Other things, such as the degree of body repair could prevent CPO as well, but even in this scenario, you would be looking at diminished resale. In all likelihood this is just a lot of worry for naught. Hope so, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
If the issue is not who pays for the CPO, but whether they will provide one at all, I'd say that is a red flag at the least. Press them on why they won't and be sure any rev report you get is completely up to date. If they sell a car with a rev history that effectively voids the factory warranty but sell the car as warranteed they will be in a world of hurt, but if you are the one who bought it, you would be in for a load of hassle yourself. Other things, such as the degree of body repair could prevent CPO as well, but even in this scenario, you would be looking at diminished resale. In all likelihood this is just a lot of worry for naught. Hope so, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Most dealers won't offer a CPO because of the increased cost. Of course if the car has been languishing on their lot for a few months, they may have no choice but to offer CPO. BTW not all punched cars are demos. Some companies, BMW for one, will artificially increase their sales, especially at year end, by getting dealers to punch cars. I don't believe that Porsche does that, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If your loosing 7 months of warrantee make sure your getting a good discount from MSRP for that. So the discount better be well over the standard 5%. And yes ask the cost of a CPO. If they won't CPO the car walk away. Assuming they will then offer 1/2 the normal price. I've also heard it is around $2500. So there is a sequence here 1st negotiate a price as is. Then ask for the upgrade to a CPO. If they accept then negotiate the price increase. Which if you play your cards right, i.e. "I'll buy it today if you throw in a CPO on the car" then you might just drive it home with a smile. Good luck and be willing to walk away. There are plenty of 718 out there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As others have suggested push for the CPO. A strategy you can propose is to finance a portion of the car through Porsche finance. The dealer will get a kick back helping them to recover the cost of the certfication.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.