Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's see if I can justify this...
  1. I've never been to Lancaster.
  2. I miss the driving type of roads that I saw down in North Carolina.
  3. Too many CT and NY events, we need to meet some owners in PA
  4. http://www.planet-9.com/u-s-northeast-noreasters-region/46416-pa-residents-comments-about-road.html

Anymore reasons?? We'll figure out lunch and other details as we get closer.

Let's make this happen.

What

Meeting and driving some very twisty PA roads

Where

Meeting here @ 10AM:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...182,-76.294068&spn=0.002122,0.004823&t=h&z=18

Tentative route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....641051,-76.412659&spn=0.541871,1.234589&z=10

When
Saturday, Aug. 14, all day, including lunch

The LIST

1. PistolPete
2. Blackhawk
3. saucerman
4. Retired-Teach
5. earman
6. BigGuy
7. sx797
8. Phil 1
9. dima
10. UAVCaymanS*
11. boxstar3000*

* maybe

Lunch Location
Madeline's
1100 E. Market St.
Orwigsburg, PA 17961

http://www.madelinesorwigsburg.com/index.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location of Sunday event:

2010 Riesentoter "Planes and Porsches" Summer Spectacular

Kindly sponsored by PORSCHE OF THE MAIN LINE, Newtown Square, PA.

This year’s event has been expanded to include:

- Autocross,
- Concours D'Elegance Judged Car Show,
- Fun Show n Shine Car Show,
- Cocktail Party and the
- August Monthly Membership Meeting

WHEN
Sunday 15 August 2010

WHERE
Millennium Aviation
2365 Bernville Road
Reading Airport, Reading. PA.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just a thought, but if you need to an excuse to convince your other half to make the trip (or allow you to make the trip), isn't Lancaster a tourist destination where you can get scented candles, wicker baskets, dried weeds and "stuff" like that?

Maybe make a "weekend" out of this that just happens to overlap with meeting a few other Cayman owners.

Look at all the "fun" stuff you can do AFTER our drive.

http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

The Homewrecker has spoken...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I think I can have my arm twisted for this one. Considering the time and distance to get there by 10AM, I am seriously considering staying over somewhere on Saturday night and making a weekend out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked 10AM figuring about 2.5 hrs of driving for me to get out there. This is probably on the outer edge of day trip territory for many of the usual suspects.

Good thing we're right by I-78. Now remember to head EAST on I-78 this time when going home, OK?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I just checked the calendar, and I will know more by the weekend. I have a potential conflict with the DE schedule.

·
Cayman Owner
100 Posts
The roads there are nice but I've never explored beyond a few county routes... If anyone wants to make a small vacation in themarea, I work for a hotel management company that has a Hampton inn, days inn, and quality inn in the area (I can twist their arm on the rates a bit if there is interest). I hope to make it out on this one.... Gotta new borla lurking in the rear :beer:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BORLA!!!

Thanks for the hotel offer, hopefully this will convince some of those on the fence right now.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I should be in if my wife doesn't plan a florida trip in the meantime....

Also just a note...this area is not really the lancaster county tourist trap...that's about an hour south on route 501 from the meeting point....which is a good thing because there is less of a chance to get horse [email protected] all over your car from the horse and buggies along those roads in Lancaster. But don't fear for this region we are in is boonieville for sure so I'm positive you'll find some interesting sites along the way.

I'll look into a finding a place for lunch that doesn't serve squirrel

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We still have some flexibility with the dates in August. I'm free the entire month right now. ;)

I want to make this work for everyone so let me know what date is good if 8/14 isn't!

The first post has been updated with the participants so far. Don't be shy!!! Where are my PA owners? Don't make me do a database search and SPAM your inbox!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pete,

I believe that road goes (south to north) from Lebanon county through Dauphin, Schuylkill, and North Umberland.

Wouldn't want you guys to lead your wives to believe they'd be going to Amish country to pick up hand made crafts and antiques, when there's very little of that around up there.

However, Hershey Park is about 30 minutes down 81 (which 78 turns into) at exit 77, and near that is the Hershey Lodge, which has a world class spa and a pretty nice golf course. Just a thought if you need to sweeten the deal with them. :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don't pass up Intercourse, Virginville, Bird in Hand...They were very literal when they named their towns...:hilarious: :burnout:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Would love to join ya'll but this is the same weekend as the Reisentoter 2010 Planes & Porsches event at Reading, Pa Airport on Suday 8/15. It will include an AutoX event, concourse and the annual summer picnic, all at the same time. Likely the biggest event of the year as far as attendence and charity fund raising. I don't intend to miss it. I realize you're talking about the day before but doing two Porsche days in a row gets a little difficut for me.

As an FYI, the weekend before is the huge 3 day Macungie, PA Car Show where they've been know to get a HUGE amount (500-700 cars) of all kinds of cars attending.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up on the Planes & Porsches event. I must to some more reading at the Reisentoter site.

I have a feeling that some of us will want to stay over and make this a 2-day all Porsche event... :gossip:

I'd still say you should join us Budman, we always have a lot more fun than a run of the mill PCA event. ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now you've given me a reason to possibly stay over instead of driving home. Of course, if I stay over, I might not be allowed back home.:hilarious:

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Would love to join ya'll but this is the same weekend as the Reisentoter 2010 Planes & Porsches event at Reading, Pa Airport on Suday 8/15. It will include an AutoX event, concourse and the annual summer picnic, all at the same time.
OMG this sounds like a great weekend....two Porsche events...one saturday and one sunday....perfect...and perfect with the fact that on Saturday Budman won't slow us down or dirty his car for that matter:taunt:

Now when I say a perfect weekend this is under my own opinion, this expressed opinion does not apply to my significant other and I very much doubt she'll join me on Saturday for she experienced the vomit comet once already.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I beg your pardon saucerman....my car has been dirty.....once......damn weatherman. Even after 1 1/2 years I'm not sure if those wiper thingys actually work.:eek: Just trying to make it last as long as I do or at least until the state takes my license away. Like maybe until I'm 85 or 90 anyway. Might even put it in the concourse portion of the event just for kicks. As far as slowing you down......well what can I say. The next time you get me in trouble with my neighbors I'll be handing out your address and phone number.:taunt:

And...after all that trash talkin....I'll still try and see if I can join the Saturday cruise. It's up to the grand kids. Saturdays are usually theirs, for a few hours anyway.

Later.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts