Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car sits in the parking lot reading exactly 10,000 miles after the morning commute; one year and one week old. That well exceeds my normal annual accrual but I’ve taken the car on several club events and a few trips, two of them longer.

I just got back from a week in NC’s Outer Banks; roughly 292 miles each way. On the ride down I used 8.96 gallons and by my calculator, 32.59MPG. Not bad but the dash readout said 36.0 for the same ride, lending credence to posts I’ve read that the readout is optimistic by about 10% (bear in mind, that’s a statistical sampling of one, I should check several more times).

That’s 93-octane of course, and “first tier”. I have to share this: I was told that I’d experience my best costs in the rural VA town of Tappahanock, so I decided to fill up there on the way home. Mostly off-brand gas but I spied a Sunoco station so I pulled in. Advertised as 87 octane at $1.899 so I figured on a nice deal on 93 – but the pump said premium was $3.099! A dollar and twenty cent upcharge for hi-test? I might be wrong but is that a record at 63%? No purchase and I found it much cheaper down the road.

The Boxster never missed a beat, and after quite a few hours in the seat we would get out refreshed. Again the luggage capacity was adequate, a full set of Schnell’s luggage plus a small duffel and two folding camp chairs. If there’s ever a 981 trailer hitch, I wouldn’t mind taking our ocean kayak along, I doubt the Porsche would mind at all (it might decrement that excellent MPG, however).

Anyway, the sea spray and sand is washed off now, back to “normal’ use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going to hit the 10k mile mark tomorrow, probably while on my lunch break.
It's taken an excruciatingly long 91 days.
5k of those miles took place in a 15 day period.

I bet you've loved every minute of it just like my wife and I have.

BC.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Shell stations near me are 35 cents between 87 and 89 Octane and another 39 cents for 93.

Your 2015 should have had the mileage update. My 2014 instrument cluster had an update, one of the fixes was to make the fuel gauge and mileage calculation more accurate. My car was very close before the flash, but went down a small bit afterwards. It will eventually get to the same MPG, but it takes a lot longer to do so. Before I got to max MPG on the cluster at 30 miles, Now it takes 90. My best trip was 500 miles at 33.0, but that was taking advantage of the declutch capability in Economy mode on downhill stretches.

Last weekend I did a 144 mile trip and averaged 28.4 MPG according to the TFT display, but that was 2/3 in Sport mode. So I was happy with that number.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My TFT display routinely indicates 33 to 35 mpg at a steady 65-70 mph but I have never checked it against mileage and actual tank fill. With cruise on, you lose the coast feature but that doesn't seem to affect the reading.
I have almost 16k miles, a few where the engine and trans are beat to death on Track.
At the Track, mpg falls to 9mpg and below.
Let me add that the gas in this area can contain up to 10% ethanol which will reduce HP and mileage.
I try to fill up in Elkhart Lake at the Citgo for 93 octane and no ethanol when at Road America.-Richard
BTW on road, I alway drive in AutoStop mode unless in constant stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Great mileage. My best for a tank has been 32.0 mpg (9.14 gallons, 292.9 miles) with the computer claiming 34.6.

Incidentally, while you were in Tappahanock, did you stop to eat at Lowery's? I haven't been there in years, but they used to feature the most incredible french fries with gravy.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your 2015 should have had the mileage update.
Did not know that; should I presume the delta between displayed and actual MPG could have been worse?

Incidentally, while you were in Tappahanock, did you stop to eat at Lowery's? I haven't been there in years, but they used to feature the most incredible french fries with gravy.
Thought about it, then passed. We like ethnic food and I recalled there is a Persian restaurant on a back street in Waldorf, MD, so we held out another hour or so and ate there; worth the wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts