Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - After years of research and much time on these forums (thanks for all the help!), we ordered our Boxster GTS with a January build. I thought we were done with options, but I had several people locally recommend the 18 way seats over the currently selected 2-way.

I plan to keep this car for a long time. It won't be a daily driver, but I can see long road trips in the future.

Does anyone here have strong opinions one way or the other? I did go back to my dealership last week to do an A/B comparison. Kind of hard to draw a conclusion without really driving a lot of miles in each.

Just wondering if anyone else here struggled with this option and had an opinion to share.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
This may sound like motherhood but if you were able to find a comfortable position in the 2-way seats and are a set-it-and-forget-it type, then the 2 way seats is likely all you need. If you like to adjust your seating position for, say, highway cruising or to help deal with back discomfort, the 18-way seats will provide a better range of adjustment. I test drove both and found, after some trial and error, that the 18-way seats were better able to accommodate my gorilla frame (long arms and short legs --- perfect for Fiats...:)). Also, you present yourself as "we" so you are either British royalty or your significant other has been part of the decision making. So if there are two of you that may be driving the car, the 18-way may be the way to go.

BTW, congratulations on finally pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I struggled with this about 3 months ago when I ordered my car...
In the end, I ended going with the 2-way sports plus because...
(1) I am the only one driving the car
(2) Once I find the ideal position, I never change the settings
(3) It's a "bargain" at only $800 :)

Having taken delivery of the car this past Friday and driven 172 miles on Saturday and 260 miles on Sunday, I can say the 2-way sports plus seat is phenomenal.
It is very supportive in all the right places. Even after driving 3+ hours straight, my back was never sore.

One thing I wish that I gotten is the "easy entry" option, where the seat slides back automatically for ingress/egress.
I think this may be part of the 18-way. Other than this, I really dig the 2-way sports plus. It is very comfortable and supportive.

Hello - After years of research and much time on these forums (thanks for all the help!), we ordered our Boxster GTS with a January build. I thought we were done with options, but I had several people locally recommend the 18 way seats over the currently selected 2-way.

I plan to keep this car for a long time. It won't be a daily driver, but I can see long road trips in the future.

Does anyone here have strong opinions one way or the other? I did go back to my dealership last week to do an A/B comparison. Kind of hard to draw a conclusion without really driving a lot of miles in each.

Just wondering if anyone else here struggled with this option and had an opinion to share.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I struggled with this. It is easy to decide on the seat itself. I set my 2 way seats and they will never move. However, you should ask if you want to packages that only come with the 18 way seats. Keyless entry, LED light package, memory of all car functions from last setting, memory seats, etc. These packages have more features than advertised, lots of little things that add up. I wanted keyless entry and the LED package but stayed with 2 ways as a trade off for Burmester ( worth it to me). Just something to think about, it is not only about the seats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you fit in the 2-way seats, and have no need to change seat positions in a hurry, the 2-way ones will save you 60lb the 18 ways one weigh (which is like adding another 7hp).

We need to switch between me and the wife in a hurry, so we went for the ones with the memory (i.e. the 18 way ones).

·
Registered
537 Posts
18 way. I own 14 way seats, and in one year of owning my 981CS, I have changed or tweaked the seating position a dozen times.

Reactions: blackmanx

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I love the power/memory seats! I've owned both, the premium package is worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I love the power/memory seats! I've owned both, the premium package is worth it.
I like the 18 way , being able to adjust the seat on a long trip is nice. The premium package is the only good deal in Porsche's option list.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Definitely recommend the premium package. The seats are so comfortable. I have back pain/sciatica & normally take an Advil before driving any distance. No pain in these seats, even on a 4 hour drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I struggled with this about 3 months ago when I ordered my car...

One thing I wish that I gotten is the "easy entry" option, where the seat slides back automatically for ingress/egress.
I think this may be part of the 18-way. Other than this, I really dig the 2-way sports plus. It is very comfortable and supportive.
If you (or anyone who drives the car is short) and therefore has the seat well forward and up, I'd avoid the Sport seat plus unless it was electric. Getting out with the seat forward and up is difficult unless you can open the door fully - especially so with Sports seat plus. I sometimes have to resort to sliding the seat back with my non-plus seat when space is tight.

·
Registered
785 Posts
There is another feature that the 18 way seats have that is particularly useful called 'Comfort Entry'.
After stopping the vehicle, the steering wheel raises to max and whn you open the door, the seat slide back to the max rear, makes exit and subsequent entry much easier and if you have top down even eaiser, so I installed Smart Top also.
The power lumbar support is great, along with the adjustable thigh support. Seat and side bolster adjustments are only used for Track for me but when you want the seat tighter, they are great. The 18-way seats are one of the 'must' options for me.-Richard

Reactions: blackmanx

·
Registered
708 Posts
We have the 18 way and love them. We have the memory package and with the 2 keys we can save settings to each key. When I use my key, the mirrors, seats, climate control all go to my settings and same for her with her key.

i also tend to fiddle with seat adjustments occasionally, sometimes on longer trips being able to adjust for comfort easily is a nice feature.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you fit in the 2-way seats, and have no need to change seat positions in a hurry, the 2-way ones will save you 60lb the 18 ways one weigh (which is like adding another 7hp).

We need to switch between me and the wife in a hurry, so we went for the ones with the memory (i.e. the 18 way ones).
The seats dont make as much of a weight difference as i thought. My 14 cs had the 14ways .My 15 has the two way, the 14 CS weighed 3048lbs the 15 CS weighs 3028. The carrara s wheels on the 15 are 12lbs lighter for the set. That means the total difference in the weight for the power seats is 8lbs. I thought for sure it would be a lot more. I actually thought for sure the 15 would have been less than 3000 lbs. Lighter wheels, seats,and suspension (SS vs PASM) . Only made a 20lb difference??carl

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
This may sound like motherhood but if you were able to find a comfortable position in the 2-way seats and are a set-it-and-forget-it type, then the 2 way seats is likely all you need.

Good advice as long as you are the only driver. In my case my wife occasionally drives my car. My wife is 5' 10", and like most women has very long legs. So 18 way seats were a must because of my wife. I can find the perfect seating position in about 10 seconds. Unfortunately my wife tales a lot longer, and needs lots of seat positions to find the ideal position.

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is another feature that the 18 way seats have that is particularly useful called 'Comfort Entry'.
I think that's great, but short people including my wife have complained it doesn't move far enough back. It may only move 2" back, which is all the way it can for me, but there's a lot more space behind my wife it could move into.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The seats dont make as much of a weight difference as i thought. My 14 cs had the 14ways .My 15 has the two way, the 14 CS weighed 3048lbs the 15 CS weighs 3028. The carrara s wheels on the 15 are 12lbs lighter for the set.
Did you really buy a 14 and a 15 where the only difference was the wheels? Wouldn't it have been easier just to buy the wheels?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did you really buy a 14 and a 15 where the only difference was the wheels? Wouldn't it have been easier just to buy the wheels?
Yes both 6MTs but the 14 was PASM no SC aor PTV. The 15 is X73, PTV,SC, sport seats plus/manual and the carrara S wheels. More than just "wheels"..carl

·
Registered
794 Posts
The way I looked at it is this: should an 80k car (or 90k if you load up other options) have power seats or manual seats? I striped the options down as far as possible for me, but 18 way was one that stayed on the list......

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This may or may not matter depending on your colour choices and budget, but it's worth noting that both of the seat choices for the GTS have silver backs on them, but only the 18-ways can be covered in leather.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts