Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new to me 2007 Boxster S, just had dealer install airbag deactivation kit and latch hooks. Put in our Britax Roundabout (forward facing) and everything fit fine but unlike my wife's Acura, there doesn't seem to be a hook for the strap that comes off the top of the car seat. What does everyone else with a latch carseat do to secure the top of the car seat and prevent it from tilting forward in an accident?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
On a Cayman (and I would assume a Boxster as well) you have to look at the carpet behind the passenger seat closely, there is a little square cut-out that if you remove that carpet or fold it up there is a spot behind it to hook into, this is shown in the Cayman's owners manual and again I would assume it would be in the Boxster's as well.

PS Welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
What exactly did the dealer have to do? Does the car not come with the Latch points installed? I am taking delivery soon and will need to install a seat from time to time as well. Thanks

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
What exactly did the dealer have to do? Does the car not come with the Latch points installed? I am taking delivery soon and will need to install a seat from time to time as well. Thanks
No it doesn't, you have to have the kit installed, we have an article in our Articles section about it showing the installation of the LATCH anchors and the airbag cut off switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. Looked behind the passenger seat and didn't see anything, checked the manual and it only referenced the 2 latches in the seat, finally called dealer who installed and they said w/ Boxster you're just supposed to use 2 latches in seat and then put seatbelt through back of the carseat to stabilize top. Not ideal, but I guess it will work.

Does anyone with the Porsche car seats know if they have a different/better way to stabilize the top?

Also - has anyone found a car seat (3 year old, forward facing) that will fit in the front trunk?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just had the deactivation switch and latches installed by my dealer. One other thing to be aware of is (at least with the Cayman) that the air bag deactivation panel that comes with the switch is black. There is a deactivation switch side panel you can get to match the interior of the car, so I also ordered the sand beige so everything would match.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I've had car seats in my Cayman S since April 2008. First I had a Britax Marathon (my son outgrew it) and now I have a Sunshine Kids Monterey booster. All I use are the latch points in the seat. The Britax was held so tightly by the two latch points that I had to put padding behind the upper part of the seat so that the leather would not be damaged. The seat would not move even a little bit at the top.
The booster is secured by the latch points so that it won't move when my son isn't in the car. The seat belt holds my son in the seat.
BTW the Sunshine Kids Monterey fits really well if anyone is looking for a booster seat for their car.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
On a new car delivery does the dealer usually charge for this?
Yes and like all Porsche options it's not cheap ($600-$750). There's a lot involved in adding this to the car. The passenger seat has to be removed, the latch bar is added, and then the seat is reinstalled. They have to work inside the dash to add the switch. The factory piece on the passenger end of the dash is replaced with a piece with a key switch (it uses your ignition key). The airbags are activated by capacitors in an accident. The switch not only disconnects battery power but it prevents the capacitors from activating the airbags. The computer has to be reprogrammed to not show the airbag off as a trouble.
There's an article in the Main Index - Articles section that shows the whole process.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I thought all cars were required by federal law to latch installed? The cayman doesn't have automactic airbag deactivation according to weight?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I thought all cars were required by federal law to latch installed? The cayman doesn't have automactic airbag deactivation according to weight?
Begining in September 2002, most vehicles manufactured were required to have a LATCH anchorage. There are exceptions, Porsche Cayman and Lotus Elise and Exige are three that I am aware of that do not have LATCH anchorage.

The Caymans do have automatic airbag deactivation according to weight however some states (i.e. In Delaware, children younger than 12 years/65 inches or less must be restrained in a rear seat if a vehicle has a passenger airbag unless the airbag has been either deactivated or designed to accommodate smaller people. Exceptions: no rear seat or rear seat occupied by other children younger than 12 years/65 inches or less.) require that for a child under 12 years old to ride in the front seat that the passenger airbag must be deactivated.

Here is what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has to say about passenger seat airbag deactivation:

Considering whether to disconnect the passenger air bag

If the vehicle is to be used to carry adults only, there is no reason to consider disconnecting the air bag. The air bags are proving to be effective for adult passengers. With the exception of a woman in her 90's, no adult passenger is known to have been killed by an air bag. In all but the rarest circumstances, an adult passenger would be able to position the seat far enough away from the dash to obtain the benefit of the air bag without the risks. Even in the case of vehicles with bench seats operated by small drivers, the passenger seat would be far enough from the air bag to give a belted passenger adequate distance from the air bag.

If the vehicle is used to transport children under twelve, the government's recommendation is that they should ride in the rear seat wherever possible. Placing children in the rear seat will completely eliminate any risk from the air bag and make deactivation unnecessary. If for any reason you must carry a child (other than an infant) in the front seat, make sure that the child is securely buckled in a restraint appropriate for the child's size and age, move the seat back as far as possible, and make sure that the child sits back against the seat.(1) Although there are no verified reports of fatal injuries to belted children who were sitting back in the seat at the moment of impact, parents should be aware that there may still be a risk to a restrained child, since children tend to move around (adjusting the radio, reaching for a soda, etc.) even when they are restrained. Parents should decide whether to deactivate the air bag in the light of this information.
Under NO circumstances should an infant be carried on the front seat in a rear-facing infant seat unless the air bag is deactivated. In a rear-facing seat, an infant's head would be very close to the inflating air bag. The risk of serious or fatal injury is very high. If it is not feasible to carry an infant in the rear seat, either because the vehicle lacks a rear seat or because of a medical condition that requires constant attention, the air bag should be deactivated. Do not attempt to turn a rear-facing infant seat around or carry an infant under 20 pounds in any forward-facing seat.

APPENDIX B, Information concerning air bag deactivation

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My install would have been about $540, but had a coupon from porsche website for 20% off part so that saved about $40. Rest was labor.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
My install would have been about $540, but had a coupon from porsche website for 20% off part so that saved about $40. Rest was labor.
One thing that I neglected to say in my previous posts is that many LATCH anchorages are only rated to restrain a child that weighs up to 40lbs. Once the child reaches 40lbs use the seat belt to anchor the child safety seat.

LATCH Weight Limits

Lower Anchors:

There is no agreement between vehicle and child safety seat manufacturers as to the weight limit for lower anchors. If the child safety seat manufacturer's instructions or the vehicle owners manual do not discuss the issue, it is best to stop using the lower anchors after the child is 40 pounds. In this case, you should use the vehicle safety belt instead of the lower anchors to secure the child safety seat to the vehicle.

Since the lower anchors bear the brunt of the force in a crash, concern for their weight limit is especially important. They are designed to restrain the weight of a child safety seat plus the weight of a small child. The vehicle's safety belt, which is stronger because it is designed to restrain large adults, is a good substitute for the lower anchors when securing a child safety seat used by a heavier child.

·
Registered
500 Posts
thanks for all the information. I am in a quandary here as my youngest is 2.5 and will in about another six months will move to a booster seat...when she reaches 30-35 #s. so it sounds as though I am better off NOT getting LATCH
and using the belts for the child seat restraint. the big questions is the air bag.
Am I right that the weight deactivation of the airbags should be enough? I will not be taking delivery for another 4 weeks so I do not have the manuel to refer to. Does any body know what the weight deactivation parameters are on the 2010? Thanks

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
thanks for all the information. I am in a quandary here as my youngest is 2.5 and will in about another six months will move to a booster seat...when she reaches 30-35 #s. so it sounds as though I am better off NOT getting LATCH
and using the belts for the child seat restraint. the big questions is the air bag.
Am I right that the weight deactivation of the airbags should be enough? I will not be taking delivery for another 4 weeks so I do not have the manuel to refer to. Does any body know what the weight deactivation parameters are on the 2010? Thanks
I'm not sure if Porsche offers the passenger airbag dissconnect switch without the LATCH bar. I think that it's a package. Call the saleperson at the dealership where you purchased your Cayman and ask about the weight deactivation and the dissconnect switch.
I opted for the dissconnect switch so my opinion is that it pays to get it.

BTW Congratulations and good luck in advance with the new car!
Where in NJ are you located? I'm in Pompton Lakes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks ezmoney...I'll talk to the dealer and see what they can tell me about the weight sensors...I'm in Maplewood...I'll be joining NNJR as soon as I get my VIN (hopefully next week) should finally have the car by end of March...see you have Mower axle plate mount...that was my first mod purchase just got it a few days ago...thanks again for all the info...:cheers:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quick bump because I am in the same situation.. My kid is 3 and 40 something pounds...
So the latch bar may not be all that useful nor desirable, but I do need the airbag cut-off...
Were you successful getting them separately ? I read K-Man's install guides, but I've also read that the latch system is most definitely not designed to take anything over 40 lbs in general, 48 lbs on the porsche. So my kid + his seat is pretty damn close to that limit....

If no no big deal, I'll use both latch and belt !

·
Registered
394 Posts
Answering my own Q here, it may help future users of the "search" !

You cannot buy the airbag-disable separately from the latch bar. Not a big deal, the kit was bought and installed for about $550 - less than the $800 numbers Isaw floating around... The dealer did it (Reeves in Tampa). Taking the latch bar out would not have saved much, and would yield an incomplete install for the next guy.

The latch bar is not intrusive at all... You can't tell it's there... in fact it's almost not intrusive enough...

Clearly it's designed to use in conjunction with porsche's latch seat which has protruding attachments (see pictures in this thread or others, the baby seat latch hooks stick out, so it makes sense the latch bar in the cayman seat would not be sticking otu too much).

If you use a non porsche seat, in my case a Recaro Young sport, the latch bar is so recessed into the seat that your baby seat better have a seriously long belt (with latch hooks at each end) to reach on both sides and hook in.
Mine was *borderline*... Really ! 1/2" extra and I was stuffed.

Not the best install picture, but the passenger is clearly happy !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts