Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning to drive through Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway on my way to Deals Gap later this week and wondered if any locals have already sampled parts of this route (potholes, snow, etc.) If condition aren't ideal, I will use the interstate where necessary.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Google "Blue Ridge Parkway Road Closures" for real time information. Conditions change but right now it looks like there is a section closed around Hwy. 221 and there is a long section closed between Asheville and Cherokee.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You will definitely need to be cautious at the higher elevations of Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, especially with summer tires. I was on the Blue Ridge during early March a few years ago and there was snow flurries and cold rain at the higher elevation, even though the roads were not closed. Most of it was clear and very enjoyable. Mine your speed and the park police. I was in a different vehicle at the time with all-season tires and started down Cherohala Skyway, but had to turn back.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm aware of the real-time BRP road closure page - thanks nonetheless. I don't intend to be attacking corners on such a long trip, it really is just to drive some nice roads early in the season without hordes of other cars getting into the way of the flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this road trip from Maryland down skyline to deals gap and Tail of the Dragon over my Christmas break 2 years ago. Stayed at the state lodge at Lake Fontana. The place was empty and I had little or no mini vans blocking my way and I never saw any locals with blue flashing lights. We did have 3" of snow one morning and that made for some interesting driving on summer tires. It is way to crowded in the summer. It almost cost me my marriage though: she had to get out and puke one time. Worth it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts