Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to tell how may times the car has been launched before purchasing a used PDK equipped car, for example?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Interesting question - perhaps Porsche has more faith in their launch control system and tranny than Nissan (i.e. the GT-R). I wonder if Duram (Durametric) or Scott (Softronic) might know for sure if LC is tracked in the DME?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah! With all the problems that the GT-R had with its dual-clutch launch controls decimating the transmissions, I am very apprehensive about used PDKs. But if the DME can show the number of times Launch Control has been activated in a used car, much like how it can show the number of times a used car has been over-revved, that would take away the guess work before purchasing one.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Porsche stated you can use LC as many times as you like... I remember it coz at the time I thought that there were a background voice saying "Hear that Nissan??!" :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Last time I was at the dealer, I asked the showroom manager if it's ok to use LC, and his replied was "Please, do it as much as you want, it's not a Nissan".

I also got a Panamera 4S Loaner for a full day with almost 10,000km on the clock. While with the salesperson, he showed me LC 3 times, and I used it 6 more times alone. So that 9 in total just by me so imagine all the ppl before and after me who used LC with zero problems at all. This loaner is given out to customers everyday of every week of every month.

I'm telling you guys, PDK is a very stable gearbox.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Using LC just wears the friction plates more than normal owing to electro-mechanically controlled slipage.
That being said, who will be the first to wear out the PDK and what will the repair cost be like? :eek: Nobody seems to be talking about that!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
That is why I paid extra for the Porsche CPO warranty. It still has another 5 years and 90,000 miles of protection in case the PDK (or direct injection engine) doesn't hold up. Having said that, I don't use the launch control, so unless it was abused during it's 9K miles as a Porsche company car it should be fine. But I do love driving in sport mode!!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Using LC just wears the friction plates more than normal owing to electro-mechanically controlled slipage.
That being said, who will be the first to wear out the PDK and what will the repair cost be like? :eek: Nobody seems to be talking about that!! :eek:
It's a wet clutch setup, it shouldn't wear out.

Basically, either the whole gearbox breaks or nothing happens.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
It's a wet clutch setup, it shouldn't wear out.

Basically, either the whole gearbox breaks or nothing happens.
Yes I know that. Love that word "shouldn't".

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The PDK plates aren't expensive. It's the way Porsche packages the plates for shipment that costs so much. They wrap a new transmission around them:hilarious:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a question.... I am a new owner of a '10 boxster PDK, but every launch control video I have seen they have sport plus package in the car. Now does that mean my base boxster doesn't have launch control? I have like 600 miles on the car so I cant even test to try and see if I do. Any one with a gen-II PDK without sport plus, please let me know if the PDK transmission comes standard with launch control? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I've got to imagine this would be in the manual somewhere and should easily be found.

-Moto

I have a question.... I am a new owner of a '10 boxster PDK, but every launch control video I have seen they have sport plus package in the car. Now does that mean my base boxster doesn't have launch control? I have like 600 miles on the car so I cant even test to try and see if I do. Any one with a gen-II PDK without sport plus, please let me know if the PDK transmission comes standard with launch control? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You would need the sport chrono package for the launch control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts