Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with PDK and Sport Chrono, how often do you use Launch Control? I'm up to 6500 miles on my 14 981s and haven't found a great opportunity to use it yet. I've been telling myself to wait til i get it on a track, but have not had time. I'm curious though as this is presumably the fastest 0-60 car i've ever owned.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
There's really no good place to use it. It's there for a bit of amusement, but other than trying it out and maybe showing it to your friends... it's not really good for much.

I mean... these cars aren't cut out for the drag strip. Using it on the street will just make you look like a maniac. :)

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
727 Posts
No way, it is a blast to use. Yes, its mostly for fun I have found, but it is still a nice bonus for the Sport Chrono package. I even had almost 3000 miles on the car until I used it. :cool::cool::cool: Yes there are not many good spots to do so, but you have to be a little unconventional in your thinking here. I would never use it at a stoplight, but on some back road or a freeway access road when there are few cars around........Well it is a great adrenaline rush and just plain fun. Just push in the brake all the way, bury the gas pedal, the launch control lights, and let off the brake. Just pick your spot, come to a stop and let her rip. It only takes a few seconds to set up. Launch, it bangs into second, then into the third, and hit the brake to slow down. It is not a turbo, but it sure takes off with plenty of tire squeal, and 0-60 in the low 4s is fast. A great demo when you have a guest in the car to demonstrate how awesome our Porsches are. On a colder morning on a downhill road with warm tires, it is even faster. It is also durable as there is a video from R&T doing 50 consecutive back to back launch control starts in a Trubo S. Perfectly straight every time, and all under 3 seconds. Amazing

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Weasel, you gotta let 're loose! Why not use it? I don't see me using it all of the time, but certainly once in a while, especially if I want to piss off the wife!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Weasel, you gotta let 're loose! Why not use it? I don't see me using it all of the time, but certainly once in a while, especially if I want to piss off the wife!
Oh... don't get me wrong. Absolutely have fun with it!! It's just that it's not all that often that you're trying to get everything you can from a standing start.

I've spent a fair bit of time on the drag strip. I love a good launch as much as anyone. Other than on the drag strip though... I don't think I've ever really launched any car for all she's worth. I've certainly given 'er the beans once under way.... but you can't be revving up and taking off like a hooligan when there's people around. :D

I think the best times might be on empty streets with a buddy in the car. "Hey... check this out... " :D

·
Revhead
371 Posts
I've used it twice. First time was the first night after we picked it up, on a quiet country road with nobody around. Second time was in the pit lane at Harris Hill Rd. Haven't felt the need to be that much of a hoon again... yet.

Reactions: az erik

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Haven't used it yet in nine months. Will try it sometime.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is certainly safe to use it but I have to agree that there are few opportunities to use it. I have had the car for about 18 months and have tried it maybe 6 times, mostly to demonstrate it to car loving friends. The 0-60 is fast and fun but if you keep going it is incredibly fast. There are many cars quicker to 60 but it is fun. That being said, it is kind of useless in day to day driving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a rush! If it weren't for launch control I'd never take-off that hard in my car. It's like dumping the clutch at 6K and banging the gears in a manual. It's all or nothing. You can get the maximum performance of the car off the line. Most people never drive like that especially in a nice car. There are a lot of other cars that can do a sub 5 sec 0-60 but never do because it takes a lot of commitment of the car and driver. The first time I tried it I thought the car was trying to kill itself. I think PORSCHE has done a really good job of making a reliable/repeatable 0-60 launch. Look at the Turbo S.

Where and when you use it is another question. I've done it 5 times in 5K miles. If there is no one around and I'm at a light or pulling out on the road and the mood strikes me .... weeee I'm an F1 driver!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
For those of you with PDK and Sport Chrono, how often do you use Launch Control? I'm up to 6500 miles on my 14 981s and haven't found a great opportunity to use it yet. I've been telling myself to wait til i get it on a track, but have not had time. I'm curious though as this is presumably the fastest 0-60 car i've ever owned.
Never, not planning on using it.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
OK time for a dumb question..... do you have to do anything with the chrono when you use launch control? I thought all you had to do was put it in Sport+, apply the brake, floor the accelerator and wait for the launch control to say ready but then someone said it only works with the chrono and I was wondering if I was missing a step.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK time for a dumb question..... do you have to do anything with the chrono when you use launch control? I thought all you had to do was put it in Sport+, apply the brake, floor the accelerator and wait for the launch control to say ready but then someone said it only works with the chrono and I was wondering if I was missing a step.
That's it, Sport+ - hard on the brake - accelerator to the floor and then let go of the brake! You'll want to have it in Auto not manual and step on the accelerator (to the floor) really quick. There are videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use it all the time, at lights included. I want the poor camery to hear that its going to loses for 2 seconds before i beat him.

To use, i thought it was sports plus with traction control off. Left foot on brake and then stab the gas to the floor. If you slowly hit the accelerator, it wont activiate and you will just feel the clutchs slipping as you feel the engine and the brakes fighting. .

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Been waiting and itching to try it but can't do it on busy public roads, maybe I'll wake up very early in the morning on the weekend to try it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've never tried it with the PSM off. I wonder if it would spin more than it has???

Can you launch in manual mode?

I need to do some testing. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
You could probably launch in manual, you just wouldn't be able to shift fast enough. I hit SC+ without LC and went through 1st too fast, If you were to use manual you'd probably want to tap 2nd as you were letting off the brake (when fully released). Otherwise the trans might bounce off the limiter, like it did me as I was in manual. In Auto it would at least ride the red line and shift, rather than bang red line and cut down.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No need to shut traction control off. I'm sure that the Camry drivers are duly impressed.

UOTE=mithiral67;894006]I use it all the time, at lights included. I want the poor camery to hear that its going to loses for 2 seconds before i beat him.

To use, i thought it was sports plus with traction control off. Left foot on brake and then stab the gas to the floor. If you slowly hit the accelerator, it wont activiate and you will just feel the clutchs slipping as you feel the engine and the brakes fighting. .[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I believe that the person you mentioned probably meant that there is no launch control unless you have the sport chrono.

·
Registered
261 Posts
as I would understand it the PSM is also part of LC, as throttle modulation alone wouldn't be fast enough to react to tires spinning. Aside from someone doing burn outs in a Porsche with PSM off and LC on SC+ I don't see the point in turning off the PSM.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts